mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oil, cold and damping performance

I recently did the fluid and seals in my Fox. The oil this time was 10wt. as opposed to the 7wt, I had been using. No real reason, just a matter of availability.

I was riding yesterday in the low 30s F. Stopping at a pond to watch the sun and clouds on the water, I absent mindedly squished the fork and noticed the rebound was a good bit slower than normal.

Obviously cold has an effect on viscosity, but I wouldn't think the low 30s would be cold enough. Am I wrong? How cold does it have to get before damping performance is altered?

I'm just curious.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also, depends whether it's synthetic or not.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    I recently did the fluid and seals in my Fox. The oil this time was 10wt. as opposed to the 7wt, I had been using. No real reason, just a matter of availability.

I was riding yesterday in the low 30s F. Stopping at a pond to watch the sun and clouds on the water, I absent mindedly squished the fork and noticed the rebound was a good bit slower than normal.

Obviously cold has an effect on viscosity, but I wouldn't think the low 30s would be cold enough. Am I wrong? How cold does it have to get before damping performance is altered?

I'm just curious.

I doubt the cold is the significant factor. Most if not all shock oils have a very high viscosity index, meaning the viscosity does not change much with temp...(it of course still does)...

The pour point of most shock oils is around -15F or so so colder...

My fork starts to set up at about -10 C, the shock at about -15 C.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had the same problem with my dj3 fork. Granted a dj3 is not a high quality fork, and has grease instead of oil, at 30 degrees, the rebound is at least three times slower. Sorry I couldn't be of any assistance.

www.derbyrims.com
    I feel the damping firmness change with about 20F degree differences, warmer or colder.

Like every thing about suspension, some feel differences more than others. I feel the difference in my car's shocks in the morning when the temp drops below 45F or so.

mtbr member
    Do you know the oil brand?

Whatever rockshox was using in the late 90's was noticably thicker approaching freezing. Replacing the same oil with the PJ1 and silkolene I was using at the time made a significant improvement in the cold while feeling similar in the warm.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know the make of the oil. It is in a Fox branded bottle, marked 10w.
    Last edited by GrantB; 12-14-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Waiting for peace
    In with derby... I notice a change in flow quality at about that change in temperature....