Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Gotta give thanks where all can see,
    I modified my slant by removing the entire shim stack, thanks to dwyooja's great clear photos on the disassembled fork, + my added 2.5 wt oil.
    Went on a ride yesterday where the trail has rock gardens; sever breaking bumps; & steep drops as well, the fork works superbly for me compared to stock form, better than any fork I've used to date! Thanks again dwyooja for taking the time to get inside this fork & posting your findings & thoughts...
    Youre welcome. I agree teh fork feels much better with that shimstack removed. im still gonna try just oputting in the one, thinner shim, and see how that goes.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2 View Post
    Kneecap, Good to know. Whats your weight, if you dont mind?
    I'm rolling at 150 lbs. no gear, not really that fast, but not bad for my age..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I got the shims, If you want one paypal me $6 at jonesie29@gmail.com. These users are first in line and gauranteed to get one: grok22, d-bug (for 2), hokiebrett, ramjm_2000, and Kand. Anyone else, message or email me first just to make sure i didnt run out.
    I put one in my sweep today (to reiterate, its to replace the stock .15mm thick face shim with a .1 mm shim, and I also put one of teh pivot shims between the face shim and teh secondary shim) feels like what I wanted to do , just a little firmer than with the whole stack removed. Will test on trail this weekend.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Edit: its $6 if youre in the us. If youre elsewhere email or pm me your address and ill se how much extra international shipping is Thanks!
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    PayPal sent!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oh, and when you paypal me please note your mtbr username. thanks!
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    oh, and when you paypal me please note your mtbr username. thanks!
    Paid.

Cheers

Kand

aka dan51
    Paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Paid

mtbr member
    Paid

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well, i got on the trail yesterday with the thinner shim mod. I believe we have a winner, at least for my weight and the chunky trails around here. It feels about two thirds of the way between stock, and the entire midvalve removed. Absorbs the bumps a lot better, (not quite as good as entire stack removed) but still has a little support for flowy trails and steeps.
    I mailed out the shims on fri to everyone who ordered. When you do the mod post on here and let me know what you think.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    at least for my weight and the chunky trails around here.
    Mind me asking your weight and location?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I weigh 210 geared up. laguna beach, CA
    '11 transition blindside

vko
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hello, does anyone know where I can find xfusion oil volume charts?

mtbr member
    Just wanted to thank everyone that has posted to this thread. I made a travel adustment on my Slide today and this along with the pdf and vid's from X-Fusion was very helpful. NOT helpful is the section here on the valving. Now I want to mess with mine! -LOL!

Notes: Mine is a late 2012/13 and the damper side had no oil at all in the lower so I did not add any. It has worked fine that way for almost 2 years so...
    Somehow one of the springs at the dust seal top fell into the fork leg while cleaning the lower out. I have never ever seen this happen and when I was sliding the lowers back on, it hung up and scraped the lower two inches of the stanchion which won't affect the working part of the fork. Be careful with this-could have been really bad if I forced the lower all the way up.

Once again thanks and I will be doing my test on my new Vassago Verhauen (coming off a Jabberwocky) tomorrow. If I notice anything weird I will let you know.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    I'd definitely add oil....

mtbr member
    Ram-I thought about it, but it has never leaked. I have washed my bike once ever, and there would be a snail trail if it did. Also, on the Slant there is nothing to lube there. Looking at the pics on this thread, the damper rod is lubed by the oil in the valving area. I am going to run it as is and has been for the last couple thousand miles. Like I wrote, this thing will probably come apart again soon to do some valving work to take out the small chatter spikes.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

bump and grind
    Just an update after a few weeks toying with the midvalve: shim stack rearrangement v. mid valve removed.

As a background, I first removed the shimstack and refilled with Golden Spectro cartridge fork fluid (which is supposed to be the right viscosity, I think) 5wt. Im 175lbs and the Sweep goes on my Turner Burner 650b enduro rig. I initially dove into these mods to get some small bump compliance from the Sweep, which I felt was a bit harsh new. But I quite loved the midvalve support which translated to better control for me on the steeps and braking.

With the midvalve removed, the fork is buttery and smoother over the small bumps. Very nice and "SUV-like". Rode it a few times like that and was actually quite happy. But I had the nagging feeling to see how the fork would perform with the shim stack rearrangement.

The shim stack rearrangement I am talking about is the same as described by dwyooaj above (switch smaller and medium shims, leave large shim in place). These are the stock shims and not the thinner shims from dwyooaj.
    Riding, it felt closer to stock, with slightly better small bump performance. It was smoother on chattery stuff, but still had good support against diving. I would say its quite closer to the firmer (stock) midvalve than it is to the fork with the midvalve completely removed.

Between the two, I prefer the 2nd mod (shimstack rearranged). Less plush on little bumps but better control.

Now I'm wondering how the thinner shims from dwyooaj would do. I suppose they would split the difference between 1 and 2 again. (Now where are those extra shims I saw laying around?......:P = the tinkerer's curse)

This fork is quite an amazing performer, especially for a tinkerer like me, and for the price, it dethrones my Marz 55 RC3ti as my favorite. Durability is yet untested though.
    Turner Burner 650b, Knolly Endorphin, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B
    ...so far...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Ram-I thought about it, but it has never leaked. I have washed my bike once ever, and there would be a snail trail if it did. Also, on the Slant there is nothing to lube there. Looking at the pics on this thread, the damper rod is lubed by the oil in the valving area. I am going to run it as is and has been for the last couple thousand miles. Like I wrote, this thing will probably come apart again soon to do some valving work to take out the small chatter spikes.
    Not sure i follow when you say there is nothing to lube. The slide is basically a 29" Velvet no? Enix? They should all have stanchion lubrication oil in the lowers. I can't imagine a bone dry fork is very smooth not to mention killing the seals, etc...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    cstem, you crazy. the fork absolutely needs bath oil in the lower to lube the bushings,stanchion, and oil seal. Just because it was bone dry when you disassembled doesnt mean you shouldnt put it in. Eitehr you have a leak or the factory forgot to put it in.
    '11 transition blindside

Just A Mountain Biker.

official xfusion rl2 fork service and tuning thread

Have a question;
    I sent my Slide 29 RL2 fork in for a leak 2x in a space of 3 weeks (was told it was a torn o-ring at the foot nut they missed the first time they fixed my damper rod), and this time when I got it back they had replaced the uppers. When I called them to find out why, I was told they upgraded the damper to the one they use in the 34mm forks. My Slide was an RL2, is there an upgraded damper in the larger forks? And how possible is it that the same one is used between the different diameter forks. I don't doubt they upgraded it because they have been absolutely wonderful throughout this process and exceeded my expectations, I just don't know how the damper is supposed to be different/better. Just curious if someone here knows. It "looks" the same from the outside, but that doesn't mean anything.

Thanks!
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

3. Use a 4 mm socket placed on the end of the rebound shaft where tehre are hex flats. carefully pound on this with a hammer to unseat the shaft from the lowers. Nice and straight so that rod doesnt bend.
    Attachment 889707 DO NOt use the footnuts to drive out the shafts like on other forks, the nuts are too soft teh threads will strip.
    does this get around needing the special damper removal tool that they show in the video on their website (X Fusion Shox - RL2 Fork Travel Adjust) or have they changed something for the 2014 forks?

I just got off the phone with them and they don't sell the tool to end users only service centers have it, but i'm hoping that i don't actually need it. Anyone know?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    In a word, yes. Thats how you get around the special tool. However, I read somewhere that theyre working on an affordable tool to sell, available somrtime soon.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Has anyone experimented with any other shim configurations? Additionally, I am assuming the bottom out bumpers are the black rubber pieces situated in the bottom of the fork legs - are there supposed to be 2 bumpers in the air spring side, or one in each side?
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    In a word, yes. Thats how you get around the special tool. However, I read somewhere that theyre working on an affordable tool to sell, available somrtime soon.
    That unseats it, right? But he'll need a different home tool to reseat it. PVC pipe or deep socket that is bigger than the end of the damper to pound the lowers back on.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast