mtbr member
    Jul 2005

OEM Fox CTD fork malfunctioning in Climb mode.

I rode my new Giant AX1 29 for the first time and it seemed to work fairly well with 80 PSI in Trail mode. Then I had an issue. I put the forks in Climb mode for the ride home on the road. When I arrived home, I noticed in Climb mode, my fork starts off with what seems like normal dampening, they move freely as if in Trail or Descend mode until about 1/3-1/2 travel and then it abruptly bangs up against what I can only assume is dampening resistance. I also noticed oil in the schrader valve when checking the pressure.

I am not sure what the issue is, and so to compare, I tried 6 or 7 bikes with OEM Fox CTD forks in two showrooms and they all start firm right off the bat and are very stiff throughout their travel, much like my CTD felt at home before I rode it. It seems like my forks are faulty. Have to talk to the store I bought them from. This sucks because now I will be without a set of forks. Thinking of having them fixed and replacing/upgrading them.

Has anybody else had this issue in Climb mode?
    Last edited by morkys; 05-17-2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: simplify

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Has anybody else experienced this? I emailed Fox three days ago and no reply yet. I am hoping they are either low in oil, there is a simple recall fix, or whatever is wrong in Climb mode, I can at least ride them in Trail and Descend mode for now until I have time to take them and have them sent away if that is necessary. I am called the store I bought the bike from. Said the fork will have to be sent out. I found a thread on Rotor Burn that talks of failing CTD dampers and Fox replacing/fixing them. Also talk of not enough oil in the fork from the factory.

So is it safe for me to ride this in Trail and/or Descend mode for a few days until I send it in? I hope so.
    Last edited by morkys; 05-17-2013 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    morkys,

I've had some problems with my climb mode as well. Does anyone know how much travel is allowed while in climb mode? I have a 32 Float 29 120 CTD with Trail Adjust. When first riding the fork I wasn't sure what to expect from the different modes. My rear shock has a definite difference in the CTD modes but the fork didn't seem to make much of a difference between the three. With pressure at 75 (I'm 163 lbs) I could get up to 40mm of travel on a paved road just by breaking, about the same in either trail or descend mode. If I put some weight on the front of the bike while breaking I could get about 100mm of travel in climb mode. This seemed a bit much to me.

I showed the shop what I was experiencing and they sent to fork in for repair. Fox called them back and said it was functioning properly but decided to put a stiffer spring in. I should receive the replacement in a few days and will respond with the findings. Hoping to get less travel out of the climb mode while maintaining good travel in the trail and descend mode.

I have also read a lot about the dampers being defective and I was sure that was the case, however, Fox said it was fine. If I can't get the CTD fork to work as I want I may just switch to my Reba as I have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you do a search on here you'll see your not alone. Lots of folks have had issues including myself. Let the shop send it in. Seems to be a quick turn around. I was lucky my LBS had Fox send them the new Damper and did the work in house. I also rode the bike for about a week till the part came in. Huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, I had my LBS send it in as well. Fox service said there was nothing wrong with the fork. They decided to change the fork from medium to firm. I'll have to see what it feels like when it returns. Should have it by tomorrow. I'm sure the fork will feel stiffer but am skeptical that it will have made a difference in the different CTD modes. I'll keep you posted.