mtbr member
    Mar 2010

odd ball x-fusion 7"x1.6" rear shock upgrade question

i have an 08 specialized fsr xc comp the shock runs through the seat stay....i want to upgrade my rear shock to the fox rp23 7.5"x2.0" shock...the shock that comes on my bike is the x fusion 02rla, and its 7"x1.6" ODD BALL!!... i know that putting a larger shock can change the geometry of the bike, but i have a air adjustable front fork and it can adjust from 80mm up to 140mm....my question is can i put the larger shock on and adjust the front fork to make up the difference of the 1/2" longer shock to equal the bike geometry? thanks and help would be great... i dont know why they used an odd ball shock size

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KMAGRIZZ
    i have an 08 specialized fsr xc comp the shock runs through the seat stay....i want to upgrade my rear shock to the fox rp23 7.5"x2.0" shock...the shock that comes on my bike is the x fusion 02rla, and its 7"x1.6" ODD BALL!!... i know that putting a larger shock can change the geometry of the bike, but i have a air adjustable front fork and it can adjust from 80mm up to 140mm....my question is can i put the larger shock on and adjust the front fork to make up the difference of the 1/2" longer shock to equal the bike geometry? thanks and help would be great... i dont know why they used an odd ball shock size
    That's a big change ! If it will mount w/o causing mechanical interferance and cycle thru its travel w/o linkage / tire interferance you will then have to deal w/ some whacky geometry. I don't go near Specialized products that run Proprietary components. What shock does the higher end FSR use ? I would look into that option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Pro or Expert model of that year FSR XC has a fox triad, same size, may be tough to find.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just talked to a rep at push industries, and he told me in a month or two they will have two models of rockshox to replace the specialized 7"x1.6" shock. My problems are solved

Former Bike Wrench
    The oddball isn't X-Fusion...it's Specialized who continue to use proprietary shock sizes on their otherwise good bikes. If you had a Fox it would also be 7" x 1.6"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi...just wondering how the OP went sorting this shock issue out? I've found myself in the same position...having a 7x1.6 xfusion shock that the rebound damping has vanished from. I can't seem to find anything in the rock shox line up in this strange size.