mtbr member
    Feb 2009

NIcolai Helius CC & Shock tuning

Hello,

I've just swapped out my DT Swiss SSD190L rear shock for a Fox RP3 I had in the bike garage.

If you have a look here you'll find my original thread in the Nicolai owners forum.

I pulled the RP3 apart and did a full seal change using the Fox service kit.

The bike rides much better, it descends and soaks up bumps a lot better than the DT unit.

One thing I have noticed is the shock seems to go through it's mid-stroke pretty easily, it never feels wallowy but it doesn't climb as well on smoother climbs. It did this before I serviced it too.

What I'm wondering is with the rapid falling rate rear suspension on the Helius CC, would the addition of one of the Fox Air can tuning kit shims increase the compression within the shock and put up a little more resistance to the mid-stroke movement when riding along without sacrificing the overall ride experience.

The shock has been set up with 25% sag and the rebound is 3 clicks from full slowest and as I said it feels sweet when descending and riding rougher trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_b77 View Post
    Hello,

I've just swapped out my DT Swiss SSD190L rear shock for a Fox RP3 I had in the bike garage.

If you have a look here you'll find my original thread in the Nicolai owners forum.

I pulled the RP3 apart and did a full seal change using the Fox service kit.

The bike rides much better, it descends and soaks up bumps a lot better than the DT unit.

One thing I have noticed is the shock seems to go through it's mid-stroke pretty easily, it never feels wallowy but it doesn't climb as well on smoother climbs. It did this before I serviced it too.

What I'm wondering is with the rapid falling rate rear suspension on the Helius CC, would the addition of one of the Fox Air can tuning kit shims increase the compression within the shock and put up a little more resistance to the mid-stroke movement when riding along without sacrificing the overall ride experience.

The shock has been set up with 25% sag and the rebound is 3 clicks from full slowest and as I said it feels sweet when descending and riding rougher trails.
    The volume kit will add progression to the air spring. It will firm up the mid position of the stroke but it will also take more effort to use full travel. I just installed a volume kit on my RP23 because it was bottoming out too easily even w/ a LV sleeve. I used the mid. reduction spacer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Keen,

That confirms what I was thinking, thanks for the response.