Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28

    New type of Fox shock mounting hardware

    I ordered a new set of shock mounting hardware for a DHX 5. Apparently they have a new type of mounting hardware with a plastic DU bushing that was released about a month ago. They no longer use the two piece aluminum reducers and sleeves. Instead they use what looks like Delrin to cover the exposed pin. According to the sales rep the new plastic bushings are far superior and supposed to last longer than the old DU bushings. Has anyone installed one of these new mounting kits, if so how is it working out for you so far? I ended up calling Fox and ordering the old style mounting hardware since the shock already had brand new DU bushings in it. I'll try the plastic fantastic ones next time I have to replace the DU bushings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New type of Fox shock mounting hardware-img_8359.jpg  

    New type of Fox shock mounting hardware-img_8354.jpg  

    New type of Fox shock mounting hardware-img_8362.jpg  

    New type of Fox shock mounting hardware-img_8358.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    956
    Looks like the same Igus bushing used in suspension pivots for Turners. The work great in that application. Hopefully the Fox setup works as well.

  3. #3
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,530
    its not the plastic DU, it's the pin that makes all the difference. the 2 pieces aluminum top hat spacers are pathetic at best. go with the new hardware and enjoy stiffness and play-free suspension like it should be
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  4. #4
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,983
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    its not the plastic DU, it's the pin that makes all the difference. the 2 pieces aluminum top hat spacers are pathetic at best. go with the new hardware and enjoy stiffness and play-free suspension like it should be
    Its actually both. iglide is pretty slick and durable, and the 5 piece reducers are the best. Buuuut, actually you could have this same setup years ago, just had to order a 5 piece reducer kit (Marzocchi made them from steel, Rock Shox from anodized aluminum) and an Igus bushing.

  5. #5
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,247
    They must have had Igus custom mold these for them because they're dimensional different....OD Flange is smaller and there is a Counter Bore on the back surface for an oring.

    I've just started using them. They work okay. I installed them dry and they immediately started making a high pitched noise. When I get a chance I will put some lube on them. The two delrin spacers are a press fit and are a beach to get off. I would have liked to see a stainless steel pin......if these are in fact made from the Igus L280 material then they would perform better with a 440c SST pin for the best wear and least friction.

    If your frame eats DU Bushings and some suspenion designs do....along with other variables then I would try them. If you're having good results from DU Bushings then I wouldn't change for changes sake unless you're the type of person that must have the latest new thing.

    .

  6. #6
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,983
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    They must have had Igus custom mold these for them because they're dimensional different....OD Flange is smaller and there is a Counter Bore on the back surface for an oring.

    I've just started using them. They work okay. I installed them dry and they immediately started making a high pitched noise. When I get a chance I will put some lube on them. The two delrin spacers are a press fit and are a beach to get off. I would have liked to see a stainless steel pin......if these are in fact made from the Igus L280 material then they would perform better with a 440c SST pin for the best wear and least friction.

    If your frame eats DU Bushings and some suspenion designs do....along with other variables then I would try them. If you're having good results from DU Bushings then I wouldn't change for changes sake unless you're the type of person that must have the latest new thing.

    .
    I talked to an IGUS rep, he told me this are specially made for them. And yeah, iglide 280 can get noisy when paired to certain rugosity axles or dirt. I've had some noise on my Spank Spike pedals that use outboard IGUS bushing. Dissasembled, cleaned everything very well and coated the axle lightly with marine grease.... no squeaking anymore.

    Anyways, this is the equivalent of Kashima in terms of marketing, they had to bring something with hype for 2013.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,226
    Took them a while.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

  8. #8
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,742
    I like it. As said, if you DU's are working fine, no point in going for these, but if you need a replacement these would be a fine option.

    At any rate, heaps better than those hat style bushings from hell.
    Check my Site

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    I just got a 2013 Fox Float CTD...it came iwth the old style DU/ alum spacers.
    I called Fox and they are sending me the new style....we'll see if they make a difference.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    Well....I tried them...
    And wish I had listened to the guys above.
    No noticeable difference while riding or moving the suspension through it's stroke with a airless shock.
    I have never had wear issues with the DU bushings on my Lenz ( and I ride in a lot of wet and sweat a lot to the point where the alum spacers get fuzzy)
    Don't know how these will wear long term....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    How does it work? Where can we get this new 2013 Fox polymer mounting hardware?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi170 View Post
    How does it work? Where can we get this new 2013 Fox polymer mounting hardware?
    Well...as far as how it works....read the thread.
    As far as where to get it....Fox or your lbs might be a good place to start.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Well...as far as how it works....read the thread.
    As far as where to get it....Fox or your lbs might be a good place to start.
    Do you have their phone number or email? thanks

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi170 View Post
    Do you have their phone number or email? thanks
    Both are available on their website. The phone number right on their front page, and their email is under "Contact Us".

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,715
    Is this only for a DHX-5 or other Fox shocks as well .
    I have a Float RP3 in my Rush that has developed some slop
    and I wonder if they have simular for it ?

  16. #16
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Is this only for a DHX-5 or other Fox shocks as well .
    I have a Float RP3 in my Rush that has developed some slop
    and I wonder if they have simular for it ?
    New hardware is for all Fox shocks and other shocks that use the 1/2" DU Bushing. Call them directly to order or go to your LBS


    .

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9
    My shock is in for service, I wonder what I will get?
    Has this type of hardware been used on any other bike shocks/applications?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    369
    I dont see why you would not go the needle bearing route(RWC)? I mean the rwc kit is about the same price as the new fox bushing kit.Is there something I am missing?I am using the needle bearings on my fox rp2 and I had to increase the pressure 15# to get the same travel I had when using DU bushings and aluminum spacers which tells me the needle bearings have less resistance.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    needle bearing route(RWC) is better? or new 2013 Fox polymer is better?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi170 View Post
    needle bearing route(RWC) is better? or new 2013 Fox polymer is better?
    My needle brg setup has slop (doesnt seem to be wear) which I find irritating. YMMV, but that's how mine is ('09 Motolite). I plan to switch to the new fox.
    whatever...

  21. #21
    Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,347
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    My needle brg setup has slop (doesnt seem to be wear) which I find irritating. YMMV, but that's how mine is ('09 Motolite). I plan to switch to the new fox.
    Current Enduro needles come with two sleeves, varying the fit. I was able to achieve zero slop using the appropriate sleeve on my Titus. Neither sleeved worked for you?

  22. #22
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,530
    I get some minor play in my RWC but cannot feel a thing on the trail, just on the stand. Overall I'm very impressed with the needle bearings!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Current Enduro needles come with two sleeves, varying the fit. I was able to achieve zero slop using the appropriate sleeve on my Titus. Neither sleeved worked for you?
    I only got one...mine's prolly an older one.
    whatever...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    Is the new 2013 Fox polymer mounting hardware compatible with Elka Stage 5 shock?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi170 View Post
    Is the new 2013 Fox polymer mounting hardware compatible with Elka Stage 5 shock?
    Don't bother, the Elka hardware is better.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •