mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New stable platform DT Swiss shock - HVR 200

After noticing this shock being mentioned in the Ellsworth forum, I did a little googling to find some info on this new shock. It appears on the DT Swiss website, and I found a pdf with a bit more info too.

I haven’t seen a lot of reviews on other DT Swiss shocks, but most seem to be reasonably good reviews. Up until now, DT Swiss shocks were mostly used on short travel XC race bikes with remote lockout. They didn’t have any of the new “platform damping” characteristics, so I doubt they could’ve competed with fox/manitou/5th in the longer travel market, where a platform now seems to be a must.

Now with the HVR 200, it seems like DT Swiss are getting right into that market, and then some. The advantages of the new DT Swiss shock, as I see it, are:
    - big air volume, for less ramp up – important for the longer stroke shocks. I don’t know how the volume compaqres to the ava/rp3/swinger shocks though
    - a really adjustable platform, seems kinda like the rp3, but with more than 3 settings (infinite adj I think). Looks like it has the advantages of the rp3 (on the fly adj platform) and the Curnutt-type shocks (very adj platform) in one shock.
    - a h/bar remote for the adjustable platform – which is great
    - LONG TRAVEL. Until now, I couldn’t see any non-custom air shocks on the market that had a stroke longer than 50mm (yeah, the gemini air fox shock has 57mm, but can you get one?). Not only does the HVR have 55mm of stroke in their 200mm length (perfect for me), they also have a monster with 63.6mm stroke (222mm length). That should be good for up to almost 8” of rear wheel travel, while still keeping the leverage ratio reasonably low. If these things have big enough air volume, and are reliable enough, we’ll prob start seeing them on downhill bikes.
    - They are really really light too

So, to the questions:
    1. What are the existing DT Swiss shocks like? Performance, durability
    2. Has anyone ridden a HVR 200? is the platform smooth? Can you dail the platform all the way out?
    3. Is the HVR 200 available yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anyone?

So, has anyone tried out the new shock yet?

I heard that it finally has been released.