mtbr member
    Feb 2010

A new Recon XC Solo Air 2010 vs Reba Race 2009

While still being on the market for a good affordable fork for my hardtail I was offereed two options:
    1. RS Recon XC Solo Air 2010, 120mm travel - new bike take-off - including postage (overseas) and local VAT may swing up to approx. 380 USD
    2. RS Reba Race 2009, very lightly used (according to the seller, considerably under 500 km, on single-speed, hardly any off-road..). According to the seller - in like new condition, no any cosmetic issues neither any functional. The fork has set to 100m travel, the sale includes brand new and sealed set to extend the travel to 120mm and its original pump.
    Asking price is approx. 450 USD (local sale).

I'm going to replace by original RS J3 on my GT Avalanche 1 Disk 2006 (upgraded), considered up to 120mm travel (or up to 130mm if using adjustable 90-130 models).
    I usually ride XC + light to medium AM, some occasional harder conditions (no jumps though or really big drops, at least for a time being..)

So, what would common wisdom advise ?

Thanks, Alex

mtbr member
    ebay sells the reba race new at 100mm setting and pushloc for $448.99.
    You can extend it yourself but you need to probably get some oil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Neither of those are particularly good deals. I would keep looking.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks.
    The advantage of the Reba Race I was mentioning is that it is available locally, no need for overseas shipment, handling and local VAT which. In the case of 450 USD from Ebay would raise the actual price to something like 600 USD...
    Of course, then it would be brand new one ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, I guess it's hard for me to judge those prices since I don't know what stuff costs where you live, but 450 for a used Reba Race seems crazy to me.
    Anyway, those two forks are very similar. The Reba would be a little better assuming it really is in the condition the seller is claiming. You should verify the damping system on the Recon though. There are many models of Recons and some have motion control damping, and some don't. If the Recon you're looking at doesn't have motion control, the Reba would be the way to go. If it does have motion control, it will perform similar to the reba with the exceptions that it is a little heavier, won't have a floodgate adjustment, and is solo air rather than dual air.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    Neither of those are particularly good deals. I would keep looking.
    What would you consider to be a worthy deal on these ?
    Also, now called a small local bike shop (not one of the major bike shop chains where the prices are ridiculous), they apparently are willing to offer me Tora 318 U-turn, brand new (not sure though 2010 or 2009) with full manuf. warranty for some 15% more then approx. equivalent of what I'd pay bringing it from CRC or JenonUSA when taking into account shipping and local VAT.

The temptation for the somewhat more expensive local buy us, well, local pickup, warranty..

So, what would be considered a good deal on these ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what length steer tube do you need? see my post in the Deals forum. Get an 09 SID take-off fork for $320 after discount at Bobs-bicycles.com 100 mm travel w/ 7 3/4" steer tube.

Smoking deal!