mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New/Old Marzocchi 888r (2004) - Rebuild Help?

The Marzocchi Tech thread seems to be broken so I'll put this here. I just picked up an 888r with a blown seal. I plan to tackle the replacement myself. I'm decent with wrenches but haven't worked on a fork in a long time.

I found the 2005 tech manual, supposedly near-identical to the 2004:

http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/2005-888-rc.pdf

Anybody have any special tips for a newbie working on these things? I did use the search function, I assume this has been gone over before but couldn't find much.

I plan to drain all the oil, clean everything as well as I can, fill with oil, replace the seals. It looks like 185mm is the recommended starting point for oil level. I have 7.5-weight moto oil already.

Any help regarding sequencing of the operation, special tricks to watch for, and other sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2006 VPfree, 2003 Heckler, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    Go-ride has an excellent article on tuning / rebuilding that fork:

http://www.go-ride.com/Articles/Tuner_888.htm

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Go-ride has an excellent article on tuning / rebuilding that fork:

http://www.go-ride.com/Articles/Tuner_888.htm
    Nice! I hadn't seen that one before, killer write-up.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good stuff guys! Man I love the interwebs. Any personal tales of conquest or tricks?
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2006 VPfree, 2003 Heckler, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anyone else having problems with the main Marzocchi Tech sticky?

Nobody has any special secrets for these bad boys?

mtbr member
    ya dont break the metal threads on the rod when you retighten the red nut up against the gold top caps, just snug it up good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2004 - 888 Rebuild Done! (almost)

Following all the on-line resources, I replaced the seals, oil and got everything put back together. It feels great (on the shop floor anyway). The fork was blown when I got it but I compared with my '07 66 and it definitely had another inch of stanchion. Now it's exactly the same as the 66.

I'm almost sure it's the 8" model, but how could I have lost an inch in the rebuild process? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anybody know what happened to 'Marzocchi Tech Support'?

I pulled everything apart again. The damping cartridges are 28.5" long when fully extended. This seems to be the operative distance in determining how much travel the fork has since the 'top out' condition is bolted to the lowers and stops the uppers/stanchions from extending further.

I can't see any function that allows the cartridges to extend further. I assume to achieve 8" of fork travel they need to extend to 29.5" but this doesn't seem possible.

In 2004, it seems the 888R, at 8", including compression and rebound adjustment, was the only model. In 2005, there was an 'R', but it didn't have compression, and there was an 'RC' which did, but mine has the R stickers on the lowers, but includes compression adjustment. So, it's almost certainly a 2004, which only came in 8" travel.

I'm quite baffled. Tom, if you're out there I'd really appreciate your expertise. I know lots of folks have built these bad boys, any assistance would be great. Somehow I'm missing an inch!