Thread: New or old

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New or old

Im looking to get a new 7.875x2.25 rear shock for my reign. And Im debating about getting a fox shock for roughly 100 or going with a "new" romic double adjustable rear shock for only 70. Its older technology but all the reviews are great. Does it still stack up to todays shocks? Whats the smartest thing to do? Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan View Post
    Im looking to get a new 7.875x2.25 rear shock for my reign. And Im debating about getting a fox shock for roughly 100 or going with a "new" romic double adjustable rear shock for only 70. Its older technology but all the reviews are great. Does it still stack up to todays shocks? Whats the smartest thing to do? Thanks all!
    I wouldn't use the Romic. Way back in the day they had issues w/ oil leaks from the rebound knob (supposed to be a batch but it must have been pretty large) Durability aside I didn't think the compression adjustment made a difference and they were super linear - required to be oversprung to control bottoming. Stick w/ a Fox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I wouldn't use the Romic. Way back in the day they had issues w/ oil leaks from the rebound knob (supposed to be a batch but it must have been pretty large) Durability aside I didn't think the compression adjustment made a difference and they were super linear - required to be oversprung to control bottoming. Stick w/ a Fox.
    Good point. Now do you think a 2011 van rc would be better than an older dhx 3.0 just because its newer? Or is the dhx3 still considered the bigger brother?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The dhx doesn't seem to have the blue knob for compression on top

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan View Post
    Good point. Now do you think a 2011 van rc would be better than an older dhx 3.0 just because its newer? Or is the dhx3 still considered the bigger brother?
    I'd take the Van RC any day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just as an update, i gothe VAN RC and a 5th element progressive. Both seem in good shape. Should i try to dial in the 5th? Or stick with the simple fox?