mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New life for an ebay Z1 FR

A few weeks ago I thought I got a great deal on a 130mm travel 2004 Z1 Freeride QR20. When it arrived at my doorstep I was stoked. The fork looked to be in damn near perfect condition. Strapped it to the bike & I was immediatly dissapointed. 3 things were apparent.

#1 Couldn't get full travel, no big deal, just an oil height issue.

#2 Rebound was insanely slow and the rebound knob didn't do anything as the rebound shaft didnt have the cuts to fit the cap, just a round tube. I knew I'd been ebayed at that pont.

#3 ETA didnt work at all. Would not reduce the travel.

I immediatly tore into the fork, adjusted the oil hight and that solved 2 issues, the ETA now wroked and I could get full travel. The rebound was still way to slow and made teh fork unridable. So I had 2 options, try and get my money back for a fork that if working properly would be perfect. Or buck up and attempt a fix.

Well I did a bit of both. Contacted the ebay to dispute the condition of the item as the seller was not responding to my emails and got 1/3 of my money back $50.

Also contacted marzocchi and ordered a replacement HSVC cart to install instead of the crap cartridge the PO installed.

I was hoping the new HSCV cartidge would resolve the unadjustable and incredibly slow rebound. Swapped out the carts and did a nice fast paced tech XC ride tonight. At first the fork felt harsh and unresponsive. Felt every rock & root. Decided to adjust the rebound compression to full open and slow it as necessary. After that the shock ate up the trail. Riding flat out I could literally not feel the 3-8" tall roots and other trail obstacles I was flying over. It literally felt as if I'd lost all feeling in my hands, no bumps, no rocks or roots. The fork just ate it up.

I'm so relieved that a bit of tuning and replacing the cartridge brought this fork back from the dead.
    Last edited by eshew; 06-30-2011 at 01:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry to hijack (post count is too low for me to start my own thread) - I'm looking to get a pair of used Z1s for my old bike, just not sure if they'll fit or are appropriate in any way. Suggestions for other forks are welcome too.

The bike is an old oooold (1990 I think) Raleigh Mirage, 53cm frame. I'm going to slowly change everything out till I end up with a new(ish) bike - basically all my riding is XC but even normal roads here are terrible (I'm in Tanzania at the moment) so I figured I'd start with a front fork.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've always said that the 04 Marzocchi Z1 freeride is the best fork Marzocchi ever made. I'm glad to here they still have parts for it. My Z1 last longer than my frames. Its been on 4 different frames and it now resides on my classic Uzzi SL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I was excited to say the least when they said they still had the carts in stock. I got the 2nd to last one from them. I do have to say the guys down at Marzocchi USA are awesome!