Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New(ish) 2004 Z150sl seems super plush to me.......YES!

641 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  giverpig 
#1 ·
Thanks for all the help I've received so far on this fork. I just got it installed on my heckler and my first impression is "Wow, these handle bars are tall". I'm 6'4" and my bars now poke me in the guts when I stand beside the bike. I took all the spacers out and things seem to be better. The fork looks pretty good on there too. I'm going for a utilitarian look without too much bling (Even the CK headset is black) and this fork fits the bill. The second think that I noticed is that this fork has less tire clearance than my 2001 Z1MCR. I have a 2.35 Navi on the front, and it doesn't look like I could go much bigger than that. It's freezing cold here, and I haven't been able to go for a ride yet (although I'm trying to get up the courage to take a below freezing urban tour tonight). Despite this, my ride down the driveway and over the curbs were exciting. This fork is not even broken in and it feels PLUSH! I have about 40lbs of positive pressure in each leg too. Is it possible that this Air fork will be way plusher than my older coil fork? If so, I can't imagine how the new high end coil forks must feel. I thought my old for was pretty decent.

Also, special thanks to TNC. I've read all his posts about this fork and there is lots of information there. A good resource for sure.

SYOTT :D

See less See more
#2 ·
yep Marzocchi's air forks are pretty linear and plush, in fact they were so much so that they had to add and extra air chamber to make it more progressive again on the 2006 forks. Thats the only think i don't like about my 2004 z1, it could use a little more support at the end of its travel.

#3 ·
Would more oil help?

jp3d said:
yep Marzocchi's air forks are pretty linear and plush, in fact they were so much so that they had to add and extra air chamber to make it more progressive again on the 2006 forks. Thats the only think i don't like about my 2004 z1, it could use a little more support at the end of its travel.
Would more oil in either the left or the right leg help this fork become a little more progressive? I just got my coil fork figured out, and now I'm trying to figure out oil levels in each leg, but more oil in one or the other or both should make it more progressive. No? Or perhaps changing the oil weight would make it more progressive? Or is oil only affecting rebound on this fork? So much to figure out.....I love it. Now it's only December and I can't wait for spring. SYOTT

#4 ·
For me...

giverpig said:
Would more oil in either the left or the right leg help this fork become a little more progressive? I just got my coil fork figured out, and now I'm trying to figure out oil levels in each leg, but more oil in one or the other or both should make it more progressive. No? Or perhaps changing the oil weight would make it more progressive? Or is oil only affecting rebound on this fork? So much to figure out.....I love it. Now it's only December and I can't wait for spring. SYOTT
Adding more oil to my Z150SL forks just prohibited getting full travel. This method works perfectly for the coil models I have/had but it didn't produce the same results for these two air forks. In fact I had to find the minimum oil amounts to get full travel then used air pressure to tune ride height and proper action during riding. I guess due to the natural progressivity of the air medium, bottomout control wasn't an issue with these forks...getting full travel was more the challenge. They worked darned well as 100% air forks, but I like the hybrid coil/air setup that I converted them to much better.

#5 ·
Thanks TNC

TNC said:
They worked darned well as 100% air forks, but I like the hybrid coil/air setup that I converted them to much better.
Would it be difficult for the average guy to get the new Marzocchi Carts that you used and create the same hybrid fork that you have? From your posts, I am under the impression that you work at a bike shop and have easier and cheaper access to this stuff than most people. Thanks again for all the input on this fork. It's not totally freezing today so I'm going to take off for a lunch ride....I'm excited.

#6 ·
Easy to attain parts.

giverpig said:
Would it be difficult for the average guy to get the new Marzocchi Carts that you used and create the same hybrid fork that you have? From your posts, I am under the impression that you work at a bike shop and have easier and cheaper access to this stuff than most people. Thanks again for all the input on this fork. It's not totally freezing today so I'm going to take off for a lunch ride....I'm excited.
To be honest I don't know if Marz will let an individual pick up the phone and order parts direct, but I have heard what sounds like people doing it. Anyway if you get one '04 Z150 cartridge, an '05 Z1FR1 coil spring (the longest one), and a top cap for '03-'04 Z1/Super T you have what I have. It's an easy swap. This stuff goes into the ECC leg, and you leave the Doppio air leg totally intact. Obviously you lose the ECC function, but I feel that ECC sucks compared to ETA, which these forks don't provide anyway. This setup provides an almost infinitely tuneable fork...much like some of these '05/'06 air/coil models from Marz.

Attachments

#8 ·
First Ride

I had a chance to ride today at lunch (I work from home and I'm not to hard on myself for time off) and the fork was pretty nice. I can just ride right at 5-6" high logs and not lift the wheel at all. I've never experienced this before. A couple of things I noticed; however, are:
(a) My rear shock seem to have too much sag now. It feels like I just settle into a big couch, and the bars are up pretty hight. I may have to reduce this to make it feel more balanced again. Although once the fork gets broken in, maybe the sag will be more even.
(b) Steering is definitely different now with this taller fork. It's a little slower, and feels like it wants to pull you in the direction that you are turning. I noticed this more on the pavement when riding slowly. Is this the "tucking under" that the manual talsk about, or is this just the "flop" that is associated with a taller fork?
(c) It feels like I am up really high off the ground. That will take some getting used to. I felt a little tippy at first. THe BB is higher too though, and I easily made it over some logs that would have given me a little rub with the shorter fork

Anyways, just my thoughts on a taller fork on the Heckler. SYOTT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.