Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Mtbr's Angry Singlespeeder flew out there to check it out.

Gear Review: Cane Creek DBinline Air Shock | Mountain Bike Review

We should get a production model in June and we'll put it in a Ripley.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    I'm just pointing out that the MTBR light-beer informercial on the product has an image specifically calculated to make it look significantly different to the "traditional" design, but when you flip the image it is far more similar than the spin meisters would like you to believe. The twin tube is the key different not the shock orientation (or even the lack of an IFP). Also, Magura made a range of non-piggy back shocks that used a twin tube approach years ago, so the claimed "first of its kind" is also a bit of stretch. eg Magura Hugin rear shocks.

I just grow tired at reading these so-called reviews that are really just a republication of a manufacturer's press release.

I do like the shock though and the possibility of a 6.5 x 1.5 option would be excellent.
    While I'm not a fan of so-called "reviews" that do nothing more than parroting the marketing copy from the manufacturer I think the reason for orienting the shock as they did was due to the way it will be mounted (the damping controls on the DB inline are on the opposite end from where they'd be on a "normal" air shock. Also, the oil flow through the shock is clearly different.

OriginalDonk
    Nothing like sending a single-speed hardtail rider out to review the nuances of a highly engineered rear shock that could be a new option for those that like to tinker move beyond the 3 position pre-sets of the day. Sounds like the Angry SS didn't stray from the base tune at all. Hmmm .

Track Junkie
    I REALLY want to like this new product and it's possible tuning efforts. I think it's a big step in the right direction for tuning. I have my hesitations though.

I'm wondering how much of Ohlins technology/quality has been left behind with Cane Creek? They co-developed (and mfg?) the original CCDB coil to much success, but I'm wondering if they are still involved? Having the Ohlins-name to back up this new shock would be very impressive.

I'm also thinking back to the Progressive 5th Element shock, and it's initial release. They couldn't make them fast enough, with massive amounts of positive praise and press. Their innovative damping circuit was the end-all be-all, and was OEM on most of the bikes at that time. Ultimately, they had a VERY high failure rate, massive amounts of warranty returns, thus pulling them out of the MTB market in under 3 years. However, other shock mfg's are using the damping characteristics of the 5th Element with more success & reliability now.

I wonder what we will think of this release in 3 to 5 years.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    I wonder what we will think of this release in 3 to 5 years.
    As I said earlier, time will tell. Right now, all we have is speculation. I have forgotten the count; so many new suspension releases, both fork and shock, were heralded as to be so revolutionary that they were revered like they were the second coming of Christ. The first fox 36 fork. The fox dhx-air. The progressive 5th element shock. The early CCDB coil (before they opened up the high speed circuits). The Roco air shocks. Etc.

Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Mtbr's Angry Singlespeeder flew out there to check it out.

Gear Review: Cane Creek DBinline Air Shock | Mountain Bike Review

We should get a production model in June and we'll put it in a Ripley.
    Francois congrats on your 18,000 post! big ups to MTBR

On a side note, this shock may be in the cards next year (hopefully after I get a raise!). I'm no weight weenie so a 3 ounce jump from my fox float ctd doesn't seem like a bad trade off if it lives up to the hype on the descents.

I'm stoked at where they're trying to go with this type of shock. Hopefully it breeds some healthy competition... right now it fulfills a niche that fox and rock shox hasn't really touched yet.

mtbr member
    Will this new shock work with rwc needle bearings?

Too Much Fun

...and that's why I don't really read the MTBR site reviews...

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    This was enough of a review to convince me, when coupled with the reputation of Cane Creek's other shocks:

Cane Creek's New DBinline Shock - First Ride - Pinkbike
    Yes, that was a good overview of the shock. I have to agree with the earlier post about the utter uselessness of the MTBR reviews and overall content on the site. It's basically a PR/clickbait site for the manufacturers. The forums are filled with folks who care and have useful info to share, but the "gear reviews" have grown so tiresome. Reminds me of Mountain Bike Action at it's worst.

As for the Inline shock... Sure, it looks good. Can CC make crap? Sure, the stuff they farm out is not nearly same quality as the stuff they make in-house. Look at the 40 headset vs the 110.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So I know the black/green bike in the Disruptor video is a Ripley, but what kind of bike was the sexy all matte black beauty???

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    The Fit Finder thingy has been changing over the last couple days. First time I checked it said the Trance X shock was 7.5"x2" with no fit and now it's saying 6.5"x1.5". Maybe they just haven't got around to it yet?

Fingers crossed, it'd be nice to have an aftermarket option other than the Monarch.
    Well, looks like that the Trance 27.5 isnt available anymore on their fit finder.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Yes, that was a good overview of the shock. I have to agree with the earlier post about the utter uselessness of the MTBR reviews and overall content on the site. It's basically a PR/clickbait site for the manufacturers. The forums are filled with folks who care and have useful info to share, but the "gear reviews" have grown so tiresome. Reminds me of Mountain Bike Action at it's worst.
    Yep, vague reviews that don't go specifically into why they are better than product x, y and z are useless. Unless they are talking about the specific damping traits compared against some worse and possibly better products, it's impossible to gain any useful information. Compare against CCDB or avy-woodie and DHX-air and then make comments about how it's high and low speed damping circuits work, how it sucks up sharp edged bumps compared to these, how it works in repetitive high speed chatter like these, how the mid-stroke support is comparatively or resistance to g-out forces, etc. Unless we have some baselines to compare against, it's usually useless information...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    So I know the black/green bike in the Disruptor video is a Ripley, but what kind of bike was the sexy all matte black beauty???
    Its a Canyon Spectral AL:
    For demanding all mountain challenges I Canyon Spectral AL

mtbr member
    I have one on order as well, mid July to early Aug is eta.

I will put it thru its paces I assure you. I am about 240lbs kitted up. It's going on my single pivot Shova ST. I ride east coast so no super long descents, but it's nasty down here so it will be tested on muddy root laced rocky terrain with by big arse sitting on it I'm no pro reviewer, but I can hack w the best of them. I'll take it up to Windrock a few times as well to really work it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Where did you order? It seems it cant be ordered on the canecreek website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Well, looks like that the Trance 27.5 isnt available anymore on their fit finder.
    I just looked again, and the Trance 27.5 is listed on the fit list, under Trance (all 27.5 models).

This is what I hope I will get for my Trance SX.

mtbr member
    you have to call CC direct. 1-800-234-2725 i talked to Gary.

mtbr member

New inline Double Barrel Cane Creek

Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Not until June.
    It's nearly July...word?

mtbr member
    No word as of yet...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Finally its hitting the store's. I've just order done for my Santa Cruz Solo/5010 C. Cannot wait to get my hands on it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Finally its hitting the store's. I've just order done for my Santa Cruz Solo/5010 C. Cannot wait to get my hands on it!
    I'm very interested to hear your impressions, as I'm sure most others are as well. Keep us updated. Enjoy the new bike!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Will this new shock work with rwc needle bearings?
    Sorry for the late reply, but the answer is yes! CC went with 15mm shock eyelets on the Inline (measured with bushings out).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
    I'm very interested to hear your impressions, as I'm sure most others are as well. Keep us updated. Enjoy the new bike!
    Going to be the 10th of August until I get my hands on it as I have ordered it from the USA and I have to collect it. If its anything like my DBA CS on my Nomad it will be incredible! That is the best shock I have ever had my hands on.

mtbr member
    Anyone know of anywhere to preorder online with international delivery?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobell View Post
    Anyone know of anywhere to preorder online with international delivery?
    Try Bikerbob, best prices I've found. Shoot him an email bob@bikerbob.com
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

OriginalDonk
    I just picked up a few things from Biker Bob as well and can't recommend him enough. Good guy, screamin' prices.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast