Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This shock is good news for those that haven't the room (or travel) for a piggy back, but its far less "amazing" than what MTBR would have you believe. Looking at their "infomercial" dressed up as a "gear review", this pic made me laugh with its lame-o traditional / inline comparison

Not so amazing now:

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    This shock is good news for those that haven't the room (or travel) for a piggy back, but its far less "amazing" than what MTBR would have you believe. Looking at their "infomercial" dressed up as a "gear review", this pic made me laugh with its lame-o traditional / inline comparison

Not so amazing now:
    While I agree that it may not be the best thing since sliced bread (remains to be seen), do you imply they are the same design?

Not that the twin tube has not been made before (Romic used a twin tube since 2002?) but they are not the same thing.

Yeah, all shocks are basically the same... piston, oil, space for oil displaced, separating membrane/IFP, gas. But implementation varies and so does performance.
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Chick View Post
    Well I sent Cane Creek a message about this Bronson specific shock and they've just directed me towards their shock fitter so looks like they're keeping pretty schtum!
    It will be released next month, and I would recommend giving them a call by then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm just pointing out that the MTBR light-beer informercial on the product has an image specifically calculated to make it look significantly different to the "traditional" design, but when you flip the image it is far more similar than the spin meisters would like you to believe. The twin tube is the key different not the shock orientation (or even the lack of an IFP). Also, Magura made a range of non-piggy back shocks that used a twin tube approach years ago, so the claimed "first of its kind" is also a bit of stretch. eg Magura Hugin rear shocks.

I just grow tired at reading these so-called reviews that are really just a republication of a manufacturer's press release.

I do like the shock though and the possibility of a 6.5 x 1.5 option would be excellent.

mtbr member
    I'm just pointing out that the MTBR light-beer informercial on the product has an image specifically calculated to make it look significantly different to the "traditional" design, but when you flip the image it is far more similar than the spin meisters would like you to believe. The twin tube is the key different not the shock orientation (or even the lack of an IFP). Also, Magura made a range of non-piggy back shocks that used a twin tube approach years ago, so the claimed "first of its kind" is also a bit of stretch. eg Magura Hugin rear shocks.

I just grow tired at reading these so-called reviews that are really just a republication of a manufacturer's press release.

I do like the shock though and the possibility of a 6.5 x 1.5 option would be excellent.
    So, the Magura shock had separate high, low speed compression and rebound adjusters, and a climbing switch that didn't affect each other when adjusted?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Outcast
    So you guys who are ready to open your wallets and pre-order this shock; are you so willing despite any realworld rider reviews? No one knows jack-sheit about this shock. It could be a total P.O.S as far as anyone knows.
    Send me your money instead. You may get the same level of satisfaction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    So you guys who are ready to open your wallets and pre-order this shock; are you so willing despite any realworld rider reviews? No one knows jack-sheit about this shock. It could be a total P.O.S as far as anyone knows.
    Send me your money instead. You may get the same level of satisfaction.
    CC doesn't make garbage.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Based on the other DB shocks, I am not worried in the slightest about ordering one without pouring over reviews. I have a broken RP23 and I need to think if I want to get it rebuilt now for $150 (or more to Push it) or save up the scratch for this. Decisions...
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    So, the Magura shock had separate high, low speed compression and rebound adjusters, and a climbing switch that didn't affect each other when adjusted?
    What's your point? Show me one thing in the "Review" that is actually reviewing anything and not just a cut and paste job from some CC promo material.

As an aside, Magura shock does have separate HSC, LSC and rebound adjusters. No HSR or climbing switch, but it was definitely a "twin tube" design where damping oil flow is primarily related to shaft displacement and not piston valving.

To repeat once again, I'm not bagging the shock. I think its great to see another option in short travel. BUT I am down on the whole "Gear Review" that's not actually a review.

mtbr member
    What's your point? Show me one thing in the "Review" that is actually reviewing anything and not just a cut and paste job from some CC promo material.

As an aside, Magura shock does have separate HSC, LSC and rebound adjusters. No HSR or climbing switch, but it was definitely a "twin tube" design where damping oil flow is primarily related to shaft displacement and not piston valving.

To repeat once again, I'm not bagging the shock. I think its great to see another option in short travel. BUT I am down on the whole "Gear Review" that's not actually a review.
    Thanks for clearing that up. It just proves that the new CC shock is a first of its kind. They don't have a shock to test yet. So, they posted what information they did have. Because of that, you and a lot of other people know about this shock. Which allows me and a lot of other people to start making plans to buy one. It's really something people should not be complaining about. But, you know some people just have to complain no matter what.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    CC doesn't make garbage.
    What I am getting at is people are willing to purchase this shock based solely on cane creeks' reputation, and not based on any real world reviews. IMO, that is not a smart way to spend your hard earned dollars.
    But it's your money, go ahead and be foolish.

Dissolved member
    What I am getting at is people are willing to purchase this shock based solely on cane creeks' reputation, and not based on any real world reviews. IMO, that is not a smart way to spend your hard earned dollars.
    It is a repackaged CCDBA-CS that is known to be one of the best mass marketed shocks out there, with the same damper. Is it really risky to assume the inline version is going to perform as well as the existing CC shocks? I do not think so. The biggest unknown is the new bladder design and its long term reliability. Here's where the CC reputation makes people believe they got it right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Fox Float CTD is the most commonly specced and reviewed shock, and it's terrible. I trust my experience with the CCDBA-CS more than I trust someone I don't know. Half of the professional reviews that have come out have borderline silly statements in them.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    I imagine that the large number of manufacturers that are specing the new Inline on their frames right now are basing it on something beside reputation
    Specialized, Norco, Intense, et al.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This was enough of a review to convince me, when coupled with the reputation of Cane Creek's other shocks:

Cane Creek's New DBinline Shock - First Ride - Pinkbike
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Already have my order in.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The Fox Float CTD is the most commonly specced and reviewed shock, and it's terrible. I trust my experience with the CCDBA-CS more than I trust someone I don't know. Half of the professional reviews that have come out have borderline silly statements in them.
    I did not mean professional reviews, I mean reviews from everyday people, you and me, not anyone working in the industry.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    I imagine that the large number of manufacturers that are specing the new Inline on their frames right now are basing it on something beside reputation
    Specialized, Norco, Intense, et al.
    The float CTD is probably the most commonly spec'ed shock out there, and many people think it's a POS. Do those frame manufacturers know something we don't?

mtbr member
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have read in a while. Almost everyone I know consumes goods based on reputation of the brand. From cars, to components, to tools, to electronics, to bikes, to condoms.

If the brand has proven its quality in the past, generally they will spend money on R&D to create more products to get more market share.

Yes, this is a new product, but it is using a lot of proven technology, just repackaged. I am sure that the early adopters will be fine with shelling out $500 for this thing.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have read in a while. Almost everyone I know consumes goods based on reputation of the brand. From cars, to components, to tools, to electronics, to bikes, to condoms.

If the brand has proven its quality in the past, generally they will spend money on R&D to create more products to get more market share.

Yes, this is a new product, but it is using a lot of proven technology, just repackaged. I am sure that the early adopters will be fine with shelling out $500 for this thing.
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. For example, would you assume every new model of automobile from a single manufacturer is of the same good quality as the vehicle you purchased from them last year? Car manufacturers test their new vehicles for some amount of time before releasing them, yet after these models get in the hands of the consumer, sometimes that is when you start seeing the problems after enough time has passed. Why would it be any different with anything else you purchase, say, a new model rear shock?

mtbr member
    No offense renegade, but if we all took your advice there would be no user reviews out there. You should be applauding these people jumping in and spending their money on something so that we can get some feedback from real users, not paid advertisements.

mtbr member
    For example, would you assume every new model of automobile from a single manufacturer is of the same good quality as the vehicle you purchased from them last year?
    I would say(as would most sociologists) that is how the majority of people with liquid assets work. The entire car industry is built using this model.
    Car manufacturers test their new vehicles for some amount of time before releasing them, yet after these models get in the hands of the consumer, sometimes that is when you start seeing the problems after enough time has passed. Why would it be any different with anything else you purchase, say, a new model rear shock?
    That is why they offer warranties, and generally use some existing technology/parts to keep % of failure down.

Also, $500 is a much better risk/reward ratio, than say people buying even a low end new car like the BRZ.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    No offense renegade, but if we all took your advice there would be no user reviews out there. You should be applauding these people jumping in and spending their money on something so that we can get some feedback from real users, not paid advertisements.
    No offense taken. Yes, someone has to jump in and try the product. And I realize that manufacturers do really on brand loyalty to make a living, and sustain a bussiness.I have been burned enough times across many product lines that I try not to purchase by brand loyalty if I can afford to wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No offense taken. Yes, someone has to jump in and try the product. And I realize that manufacturers do really on brand loyalty to make a living, and sustain a bussiness.I have been burned enough times across many product lines that I try not to purchase by brand loyalty if I can afford to wait.
    I think you have to keep in mind we are talking about a very specific company, Cane Creek, which makes a very limited set of products, and up to this point, only a single suspension product (family) which is nearly universally regarded to be excellent if not the best in it's class. It's adding a new product to that family which uses very similar technology packaged in a different form factor. I don't think it's a huge leap to believe it's going to be a good product. There are likely to be bugs in the first version, but Cane Creek also has an excellent reputation for service.

Outcast
    Hillharman, I realize that my comparing CC to an auto manufacturer is not at all an apples to apples comparison.The difference in this shock from CC is the bladder; this is new for them. Time will tell if they nailed it
    I

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast