Thread: New Fox fork

mtbr member

New Fox fork

I have the FOX 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air, 3modes, 100mm on my 29er. I have only had the bike a few months, but when the fork compresses it squeaks. Is that normal? My Rock Shox on my other bike has never done this. It seems to work ok but the noise is annoying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't know much about it, but I would think not. I have a 32 Float 29 Evolution, not CTD -- just adjustable rebound damping & lockout. No squeaks. Basically silent going in and a little swishing sound coming out.

I'd give Fox a jingle. I needed help finding my oil capacities in their chart, and they were very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

squeaky fork

Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I have the FOX 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air, 3modes, 100mm on my 29er. I have only had the bike a few months, but when the fork compresses it squeaks. Is that normal? My Rock Shox on my other bike has never done this. It seems to work ok but the noise is annoying.
    Is the fork operating properly? It sounds like your lock out knob is switched part way. Make sure the lockout is all the way off. I had a similar experience when my buddy tried to lockout my fork, without me knowing.

mtbr member
    As the OP said, its a CTD so there's no 'lockout knob' just three seettings of climb, trail, descend.

If it's any consolation my F29 CTD squeaks as well. I'm wondering if its running a bit dry of oil (fox are known for not putting their own recommended volume of oil in new forks) so I'm planning on taking it apart and having a look within the next week.

I'll let you know what I find, and in the meantime if you talk to Fox let me know what they say...

mtbr member
    I emailed Fox and they said to take it back to the shop where I bought the bike and have them look at it and if they can't do anything send it in. Meanwhile last night I turned the bike upside down for a few hours and after that the noise seems to have gone away. I will ride on Sunday and listen to hear if the noise is still there. I have a rock shox on my other bike and the Fox is not as smooth as that fork. I will need to try and tweak the settings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    As the OP said, its a CTD so there's no 'lockout knob' just three seettings of climb, trail, descend.
    Oops! Thanks for the correction; I wasn't aware the new forks eliminated that feature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I emailed Fox and they said to take it back to the shop where I bought the bike and have them look at it and if they can't do anything send it in. Meanwhile last night I turned the bike upside down for a few hours and after that the noise seems to have gone away. I will ride on Sunday and listen to hear if the noise is still there. I have a rock shox on my other bike and the Fox is not as smooth as that fork. I will need to try and tweak the settings.
    Take the fork in immediately and have it repaired or replaced. Fox has a way of passing the buck on to the customer. Their customer service could use a little help.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Meanwhile last night I turned the bike upside down for a few hours and after that the noise seems to have gone away.
    Good idea. There are sponges just under the top seals that should be saturated in oil. I now recall that EnduroForkSeals.com recommends locking the back wheel and rotating the handlebars over the back wheel oil can run into the sponges. Mine is stored upside-down so I never bother.

I just started using Finish Line Stanchion Fluoro Oil
    Amazon.com: Finish Line Stanchion Lube / Pure Fluoro Oil 15gr Squeeze Bottle: Sports & Outdoors
    Can't hurt anything and may make the action less sticky.

mtbr member
    Well I think turning the bike upside down for few hours did the trick. I rode today for around three hours and did not hear any noise at all from the front shock. I'm happy for the easy fix!

mtbr member
    Sounds good - I'll try that then!

I do hang mine from the front wheel, which means the fork slopes towards the top, but maybe a complete inversion would be better...

MTBR Member
    Just sounds like dry foam rings.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    Their customer service could use a little help.
    Fox customer service is top notch. They are great to deal with directly. I've never had to go through a shop for warranty issues -- even on forks that were not my own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Sounds good - I'll try that then!

I do hang mine from the front wheel, which means the fork slopes towards the top, but maybe a complete inversion would be better...
    It certainly wouldn't hurt, but you're probably OK. The sponges do wick.

I repaced my sponges with the Endroseals.com kit. I was presoaking mine in a minature decrorative "bowl" that Wife got at a chinese grocery for soy sauce and whatnot. The oil wasn't deep enough to cover the sponge, and I was going to it over to soak the other side, but by the time I got around to it, it was totally wet with oil.

I recently moved mine to the garage and have been hanging it from the rear wheel because it is easier, and have just been inverting it before rides. But I think I will hang from the front wheel from now on. Thanks!