The Mud Stud

New fork Recon Gold vs Sid Race

The time has finally come to upgrade my old manitou relic for something more modern and air sprung (the main reason for the upgrade). I found a rock shox Recon Gold rl from 2011 and a rock shox Sid Race from 2009. Generally I do aggressive cross country to moderately aggressive trail riding in the midwest. Lots of roots, rolling trail, hill climbing and a few rocks here and there. The fork will be going on a severely upgraded specialized rockhopper from 2009 (the bikes got it where it counts so thats not an issue). Only thing is it needs to be 100mm. I'm a pretty light rider, about 135. Taking this into account which would you recommend? I like the sid for the low weight and dual air chambers, but I like the recon for the adjustable travel (80/100/120 via spacers) if I ever decide to use it on another bike. Any opinions or tastes here? I can get them both for about the same price of $320. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sid Race, not even a comparison. Better dampening, more adjustable, much lighter, and will be plenty stiff especially at your light weight
    Still on training wheels

The Mud Stud
    Is it worth considering the 120mm recon for future use or is the sid really all that much better that it takes the cake regardless? The sid is actually about $30 cheaper so I wont be complaining about it turning my bike into a land missile if it is that good. I heard it also needs to be maintained more often than the recon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have no experience with the Recon but I do own a '09 Sid Team and a '09 Rockhopper. I weigh about 190 with gear and find the fork plenty stiff. The fork is fairly easy to maintain and doing a rebuild only requires replacing a bunch of o-rings which you can source online for cheap. Oil should be checked/added to the + air side every 25 hours of riding. I have had some issues with my fork with the biggest being that the lowers were crooked. My LBS worked with RS and they replaced the lowers 3 times but they were all defective. In the end I had to file one of the dropouts to get the wheel to sit straight. I run V-brakes so it was very obvious but if I had discs I am not sure if I would ever notice. I bought mine brand new so it was a lot of money and I was pretty pissed off at the time... At the price you are looking at I don't think it is really that big of a deal but just wanted to let you know. It took maybe 30 minutes to file the dropout. I am not sure if that is the kind of QC you can expect from all of RS products so the Recon might have the same issue. I have also had issues with inconsistant pressures for a desired sag but I believe that had a lot to do with not checking/maintaining the + side oil level. Also, the fork runs very smooth after servicing but quickly develops stiction... much more than my Manitou and Fox. I dont really know how to keep it going smooth other than more frequent service intervals. Hope this helps.
    Killing it with close inspection.

The Mud Stud
    Right now I'm leaning toward the sid since I can get it for $320 shipped. The issue is that I'm rather worried about service. I have my forks overhauled once a year and thats about it (I ride the spring summer and fall but not winter). The recon would put me back about $370. My current manitou relic is neither all that plush nor does it work with my weight all too well. The question is whether the extra $50 for the recon is worth it, for whatever reason, or I should just jump for the sid.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    most rockshox forks are super easy to service

mtbr member
    No way I'd take a Recon over a SID. I have a Recon Solo air on my Rockhopper Pro and it is a pretty good fork, but it is on the heavy side (atleast 1 lb more than the SID) has a lesser dampener and the dual air on the SID s a lot more adjustable than the solo air. I had a Reba Dual air (very simialr ot the SID) on my previous bike and it was a much nicer fork than my Recon.

The Mud Stud
    Can the sid handle some aggressive trail riding? Nothing stupid, jumps up to three or four feet with good transitions and landings, with a light rider? Or is that pushing it farther than it can go?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    Can the sid handle some aggressive trail riding? Nothing stupid, jumps up to three or four feet with good transitions and landings, with a light rider? Or is that pushing it farther than it can go?
    Not even sort of an issue, buy the Sid, its 100% better than the recon
    Still on training wheels

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by DMehalko(DM) View Post
    Not even sort of an issue, buy the Sid, its 100% better than the recon
    Out of curiosity, why? I understand the technology but I've never used either. Right now I have a recon gold on order but its not shipped so I could cancel or send it back if I decided to. The reason I got it is future usability, with respect to longer travel forks, lower maintenance cycles, and reliability. The lower weight of the sid is still very appealing though. However, I've also heard quite a few reports of the sid's coming with one dropout being slightly longer than the other for the 09 model year due to a manufacturing defect, and making the wheels sit askew, which does worry me with warranty concerns. I'm all ears, if anyone has any further comments they wanted to send my way to convince me one way or the other, please do

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The SID Race is hands-down better than the Recon gold. Don't make me explain why....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    The SID Race is hands-down better than the Recon gold. Don't make me explain why....
    My question is, is it better, stronger and more reliable, for my uses? Technologically I fully understand the differences.

mtbr member
    The recon isnt lower maintenance. They're both identical in that respect.

I think you should be looking for a used revelation instead of both of those. More flexible.

The Mud Stud
    I think the perfect fork for my bike would be a reba but finding one of those under $400 is virtually impossible these days.

The Mud Stud
    I just ordered a 2012 reba rl and cancelled my recon order. I'm assuming this is a good move on my part?

mtbr member
    id say rockshox.

mtbr member
    Nice choice! You cant go wrong with the Reba. I have a 26" Reba XX on my wife's bike and I will be putting an Reba RLT Ti on my 29er soon.

The Mud Stud
    Awesome! I got it installed and tried it out. Obviously its not broken in but over the rocks and rough its amazingly controlled. And unbelievably light. My bike dropped an entire pound. Are there any good upgrades in dampening, remote controls, or anything of the sort that could really benefit the fork?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    Awesome! I got it installed and tried it out. Obviously its not broken in but over the rocks and rough its amazingly controlled. And unbelievably light. My bike dropped an entire pound. Are there any good upgrades in dampening, remote controls, or anything of the sort that could really benefit the fork?
    No, just enjoy the ride. Your next major upgrade will be upgrading the rider....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"