JLM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New fork recommendations for 2000 Klein Attitude

My generous Uncle Sam has given me a nice tax refund this year, and I want to upgrade my fork. I ride a 2000 Klein Attitude, Medium size, which still has the OEM Manitou SX-E that came with the bike. I was looking at a Fox F100X, but I have been told this will jack the geometry on the bike and make it handle poorly. I assume that I am going to have to go with an 80mm fork, so I could do the F80X or the F80RLT, but I would like some recommendations on some other forks that might compliment this bike. I ride exclusively singletrack here in Oklahoma (so that means no mountains, no serious climbs) and I am a light rider (135lbs/5ft 9in). Any help you guys could provide would be great. Thanks.

Jeff

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by JLM
    My generous Uncle Sam has given me a nice tax refund this year, and I want to upgrade my fork. I ride a 2000 Klein Attitude, Medium size, which still has the OEM Manitou SX-E that came with the bike. I was looking at a Fox F100X, but I have been told this will jack the geometry on the bike and make it handle poorly. I assume that I am going to have to go with an 80mm fork, so I could do the F80X or the F80RLT, but I would like some recommendations on some other forks that might compliment this bike. I ride exclusively singletrack here in Oklahoma (so that means no mountains, no serious climbs) and I am a light rider (135lbs/5ft 9in). Any help you guys could provide would be great. Thanks.

Jeff
    I think that you are spot on with the choices. There are a few others, but I don't think that you will be satisfied as much. Actually, there is a Marzocchi Marathon Race which sounds very nice as well. Manitou Skarebs are noodlish and not so light, Rock Shox SIDs are like overboiled noodles. Since you're going with RLT or X, you're going for weight saving and not cost saving, so I think those are top choices. I would go with the RLT if I were you, I actually just bought one for my race bike. Also, the 80 can be converted to a 100 either with a removal of a spacer or a purchase of a $30 part, depending on how it is assembled internally. This is good in case you ever want to change out the frame. It is in my opinion hard to beat the performance of foxes in this category. Marathons are sweet forks too, but their axle to crown height is taller, which means that they will jack up your front end and slow down your steering.

_MK

ups and downs

lightweight riders can ride the really lightweight forks

The Fox 80RLT is a great choice, the F80X isn't likely all that big an advantage if you aren't doing a lot of climbing out of the saddle, and when the Terralogic locks out it tends to do it at the full extension so it does raise the bike's front end compared to a conventional shock with the correct amount of sag. I ride an 80RLT and I'm a 200 pounder, and it's a great fork... rock solid and very plush, but does weigh about 3.3pounds.

I tried a SID on one of my bikes a few years ago and it was incredibly vague in steering input, especially in rocky terrain. It was more like a tuning fork than a suspension fork.

The advantage to being a light weight rider is that you could actually ride a SID (or even a Spinner Aeris http://www.spinner-usa.com/sf_cc.html) without suffering from the "al dente" ride quality that people who weigh over 150 pounds find. It's worth seeing if you can find an LBS with a bike that has a SID and see if it works for you. I've never talked to anyone who has ridden the 2.2 pound Aeris, but that is a fork in keeping with the ultralight Klein.

Harrumph
    I can't reccomend a 100mm fork. I've owned a 00 SID and an 03. The 00 was a nice fork but the 03 was a pile. I'd suggest a Zooch Marathon or a F80X. The extra half pound those forks have over a Sid World Cup or Skereb is more than worth it in terms of performance.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness