mtbr member
    Jun 2006

new fork for front of garry fisher marlin.

im thinking about getting a new fork on my bike and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.. im 220 lbs , thinking 100mm is probably the way to go.. i believe the stock is 80. i bottom if out rather easily. im trying to keep the cost down if possible too.. dont want to spend over like 200 .. 250 .. any ideas ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    What year and model of Marlin and what is the stock fork? Depending on the stock fork there may be heavier spring kits available that would solve your bottoming problem and be a whole lot cheaper than a new fork. Depending on the fork you currently have 200 to 250 probably won't get you much of an upgrade if any at all. And unless you're looking at an air fork you'd likely end up with the same "bottoming" problem that you have now. Most coil forks come stock with medium rate springs installed from the factory. At 220lbs you probably should be riding a Firm to Extra Firm spring, depending on your riding style and terrain.

A little additional info would be helpful.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The bike is an 04.. and i believe the fork is a manitou six . ? if there is a different spring that can be had for it i think that is definately the rout that i will go .. Im still pretty new to mountain bikes. So far i love it though.. just need to get this fork issue taken care of . happen to know if there is anything i can do about this particular fork ?
    I don't know if i should get firm or extra firm. Which should go with what type of ridding style ?

Freshly Fujified

Here's a firm spring

Chain Reaction has them in Firm. Keep in mind, they're in the UK, so shipping and import fees may rack this price up a bit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=14553

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery