mtbr member

Need shock for 2001 Stumpjumper Pro Xc FSR

Hi,

I have a brand new 2001 Stumpjumper Frame. Building it up right now with some nice parts that I'm swapping off my old frame, getting some brand new parts off of clearance parts from the online web shops ( some good deals!).
    I need a new rear shock and I'm not sure what size to get. I called specialized,went to my LBS and they weren't too helpful. So here I am asking for some help/advice.
    I was just thinking of putting on a Fox RP23 or something like that.
    Here's what the bike looks like:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...+Pro&Type=bike

I appreciate any help you may offer.

Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench
    As I recall, much like other Specialized full suspension bikes, it uses a proprietary size which I believe was 6.0" x 1.25". If you have the old shock you may be able to have it serviced by PUSH including having them put platform dampening on it. Otherwise, Cane Creek offers both their AD12 and their Cloud 9 shocks for that bike...you can even get $100 off if you trade in your old shock.

mtbr member
    I don't have the rear shock, got the bike as a new frame w/o shock.

So I need to look for a shock that has those measurements 6.0 x 1.25 ? The guy at the bike shop thought that might be the case but he wasn't sure.

I was just poking around ebay and there are a lot of shocks on there, none that size though. The other sizes just don't fit? Or not recommended? What would happen w/ a 6.5 x 1.5?

Sorry I don't know more about this issue, never had it come up before.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    He's right, it's 6 x 1.25. Here's the link to the Spesh archives - http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...=02Stumpjumper.

They only go back to 02 but I'm pretty sure the travel is the same on the 01.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that link, would've saved me a bunch of time if I had just asked the question here in the first place. Appreciate your help. I'll be on the lookout for shock with those measurements, doesn't seem they are that easy to find except at full boat retail price. Was hoping to find one on clearance/blow out. I'm just trying to build up a decent race type bike at fair price.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I'm in the same boat as you, have an 02 comp model that needs a shock. I'm thinking of trying a 6 x 1.5 since they're easier to find. 1/4 in. shouldn't screw things up too much, hopefully. I already have a 100mm fork to keep things more or less balanced out. If I go that route I'll post how it goes.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've seen tons of 6.5 x 1.5, I just didn't want to buy one if the thing wouldn't fit.You think that size might work ok? I have a newer 100mm fork too. What do you think would be the worst possible result of using the slightly bigger size?

Just curious, what did Specialized say when you phoned them? No help at all?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I called Specialized and the guy said he would have to try to find the info for me. I emailed them and they couldn't really find the info, so I took the frame in to have the shop look into it. Specialized has that online parts look up thingie for dealers, but the girl couldn't find it easily so she was going to call them today.
    Not complaining, they were all trying to help me, and I appreciate that. I just figured there must be some Specialized-heads in here with some knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti
    He's right, it's 6 x 1.25. Here's the link to the Spesh archives - http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...=02Stumpjumper.

They only go back to 02 but I'm pretty sure the travel is the same on the 01.
    Yes, I have an '01 and it came with a 6 x 1.25 Float R shock.

I occasionally see one on eBay or Pinkbike, so you could try there.

Alternatively, I think Manitou made a Swinger 3 in that size, and maybe Cane Creek cloud 9?

FYI - a 6.5x1.5 will "fit", but it jacks up the rear end ~1.5", not sure if the linkage can handle it.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    1.5"? That sounds like too much to me, even if the linkage could take it. The extra 20mm up front is only about 3/4in. so the geometry would be out of whack. Thanks for the info.