mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Need new fork, but which?

Since cutting too short my Fox 32 fork for my new build, finances have forced me to temporarily use an el cheapo RST Deuce I got off the bay. Now I am looking to finally totally complete this build and get the new "permanent" fork on the bike.

I am building a Blue Pig, the fork I am using now while I get all the parts slowly on the bike is a 140mm. I am considering another 2011 Fox F32, a 2012 Fox, a 2011/12 Sektor, od a 2013 Sektor. Obviously the '11 models would be the cheapest, but cheapest doesn't necessarily mean the best bang for the buck.

Since this is my second fork for the build I am trying to get the cheapest "good" fork, while also getting my moneys worth. I don't want to get a 'lesser fork" in order to save $50.

My requirements are a fork in the 140mm range, and a 15mm maxle, preferably in a 1.5" non-tapered steerer as I already have the needed headset, however that is not a deal breaker, but it is an extra cost.

Do the difference on prices necessarily justify the more recent models?
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Not a lot available in late-model forks in 1.5" straight steerer, methinks.

Sektor is a great fork. Get one with some adjustment and kinda light. Lotsa options on this fork:

Sektor RL | SRAM

mk

mtbr member
    Sektor Solo Air 150mm was on my short list. Read a lot of good things about that fork (especially the coil version...) But could only find a straight 1 1/8" steerer (having tapered was a deal breaker), so I (thankfully) moved on.

Can't say enough good things about my 2012 X-Fusion Velvet RL2 140mm. Very plush and active in the beginning stroke, yet resists brake dive and bottoming out very well. It's internally adjustable down to 100mm (10mm increments I think), but you have to disassemble to adjust that. Their "DLA" version features on--the-fly adjust. 650B/27.5" compatible, which shouldn't be minimized given the direction trail/AM bikes seem to be headed, right? Pinkbike, Bike Rumor and Bike Radar all had good things to say about this fork, and so far, my experience has been rock solid. Customer service is second to none. Give em' a ring.

Try Upgradecycle.com for the RS Sektor (they quote really aggressive prices)...if website says it's out call them (Chicago) and they'll usually check with QBP (distr) and see what the turnaround is.

Probikesupply.com for XF Velvet. You can customize the specific Velvet model, steerer (no 1.5" straight though), 15mm vs. QR axle, color and travel (100-140mm) right on the site. Again, very good CS from Pro Bike Supply.

Good luck! Send us pics!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan08 View Post
    Sektor Solo Air 150mm was on my short list. Read a lot of good things about that fork (especially the coil version...) But could only find a straight 1 1/8" steerer (having tapered was a deal breaker), so I (thankfully) moved on.

Can't say enough good things about my 2012 X-Fusion Velvet RL2 140mm. Very plush and active in the beginning stroke, yet resists brake dive and bottoming out very well. It's internally adjustable down to 100mm (10mm increments I think), but you have to disassemble to adjust that. Their "DLA" version features on--the-fly adjust. 650B/27.5" compatible, which shouldn't be minimized given the direction trail/AM bikes seem to be headed, right? Pinkbike, Bike Rumor and Bike Radar all had good things to say about this fork, and so far, my experience has been rock solid. Customer service is second to none. Give em' a ring.

Try Upgradecycle.com for the RS Sektor (they quote really aggressive prices)...if website says it's out call them (Chicago) and they'll usually check with QBP (distr) and see what the turnaround is.

Probikesupply.com for XF Velvet. You can customize the specific Velvet model, steerer (no 1.5" straight though), 15mm vs. QR axle, color and travel (100-140mm) right on the site. Again, very good CS from Pro Bike Supply.

Good luck! Send us pics!
    X-Fusion Velvet RL2 DLA 110-140mm Fork > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

is this your fork? I finally have the money to upgrade my fork and I am planning on ordering the Velvet RL2 DLA. Trails here are mostly XC. Was planning on using the 120 mm most of the time and then upgrading my frame for one with more travel on the rear.