mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Need help swapping 5th Element spring

I bought a new spring for my 5th element but I can't remove the old one. I've removed the lower collar but I can't slide the old spring off because the rebound knob sticks out too far. I've screwed the rebound knob fully in but it still sticks out too far for the spring to clear.

Do I have to remove the rebound knob? Can that be done without bleeding oil?

Someone must have run into this before...

Thanks.
    Last edited by DirtyMartini; 12-31-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: grammer correction

staike
    If it's the same rebound knob as on my 5th element air then you screw it all the way out and when it doesn't go further you just pull it out. i'm not sure if you will have to let all air pressure out of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just figured it out. Might as well post the results for anyone searching in the future.

I have the 5th element with the long red rebound knob that you can adjust by hand. Turns out the long red knob is just an attachment to the actual rebound knob that goes through the shock. There's a little center screw down inside the extension knob (i.e. the knob that's in the way). Remove this little center screw and you can remove the extension knob. No oil will leak, but be sure to hold the extension knob with pliers so it doesn't turn as you unscrew the center locking screw. And make sure you don't screw the rebound knob all the way out. The 5th element has a design flaw such that the shock will leak oil when you screw the rebound knob out too far (for faster rebound). This is a problem because the 5th often has too much rebound damping even with the knob full out, so lots of people have screwed the knob fully out to minimize rebound damping and given themselves an oil leak.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMartini View Post
    I just figured it out. Might as well post the results for anyone searching in the future.

I have the 5th element with the long red rebound knob that you can adjust by hand. Turns out the long red knob is just an attachment to the actual rebound knob that goes through the shock. There's a little center screw down inside the extension knob (i.e. the knob that's in the way). Remove this little center screw and you can remove the extension knob. No oil will leak, but be sure to hold the extension knob with pliers so it doesn't turn as you unscrew the center locking screw. And make sure you don't screw the rebound knob all the way out. The 5th element has a design flaw such that the shock will leak oil when you screw the rebound knob out too far (for faster rebound). This is a problem because the 5th often has too much rebound damping even with the knob full out, so lots of people have screwed the knob fully out to minimize rebound damping and given themselves an oil leak.
    Yup. Here is a Manitou Swinger 4 way I rebuilt last week (basically the same as a 5th element). The rebound needle o-ring should be higher to avoid leakage by user incompetence and the tip of it should be a different shape (longer and narrower) to allow a good rebound damping adjuster range.