CTB
    mtbr member

Need help with old Rock Shox SID

Hi all. I have what I believe is a 2000 Rock Shox SID 100 fork. Nearly all the stickers are long gone from this fork, but I know it's a SID. It was the OE fork on my 2000 Schwinn 4-Banger that I bought in 2008, though I'm not using this fork on that bike anymore. Here is the fork:

RockShox SID 100 | Dirt Rag Magazine

This fork has a small air valve on top of each leg, which requires the use of the Rock Shox adapter. There are no valves on the bottom of the legs, and the right leg has a rebound adjuster. The fork works great on the bike I have it on, and there's no need to replace it for this application.

My question is: Is one of the air chambers the negative chamber? I would assume since both are on top that both have to be positives, but I can't confirm that and can't find any documentation that matches this fork online. I've found several 2000 SID shop manuals with instructions on how to tear it down, but the 2000 owners manual I found talked about an air valve on the bottom of the left for leg for the negative, which this fork does not have.

Anyone have any info on this sucker buried in their brains? Thanks.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Hi all. I have what I believe is a 2000 Rock Shox SID 100 fork. Nearly all the stickers are long gone from this fork, but I know it's a SID. It was the OE fork on my 2000 Schwinn 4-Banger that I bought in 2008, though I'm not using this fork on that bike anymore. Here is the fork:

RockShox SID 100 | Dirt Rag Magazine

This fork has a small air valve on top of each leg, which requires the use of the Rock Shox adapter. There are no valves on the bottom of the legs, and the right leg has a rebound adjuster. The fork works great on the bike I have it on, and there's no need to replace it for this application.

My question is: Is one of the air chambers the negative chamber? I would assume since both are on top that both have to be positives, but I can't confirm that and can't find any documentation that matches this fork online. I've found several 2000 SID shop manuals with instructions on how to tear it down, but the 2000 owners manual I found talked about an air valve on the bottom of the left for leg for the negative, which this fork does not have.

Anyone have any info on this sucker buried in their brains? Thanks.
    Positive chambers on each leg with special ports requiring the adapter plus no negative chamber (no valves at bottom) seem to indicate it is a 2000 SID XC "Hydra Air" fork. The 2001 XC is the same except they changed to top caps so they contained standard Schraeder valves that did not require adapters. An OE manual for the 2001 version can be found here: DOWNLOADS. A set of pictorial service instructions can be found near the bottom of this page: ENDURO® INSTALLATION.

CTB
    mtbr member
    A ha, Hyrda Air, not Dual Air. Yes, that make sense. Thanks very much for turning the light bulb on in my head.