No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Need help with Manitou Minute Elite 140 IT

Just bought a brand-new-in-box 2008 Manitou Minute Elite 140 IT for my Ragley Blue Pig build. I had used the 29er (non-IT) version of this fork twice previously and had good success.

Took this fork out on its maiden run today and had some problems.

Initially, I had planned to remove the IT travel adjust function as I don't use it. A call to Manitou revealed that's not possible.

So, I aired up the fork to about 150 psi (I'm a hair over 200 pounds in gear), following the instructions to manipulate the travel adjust lever during the process to equal the pressures. The fork felt pretty decent overall. However, during the ride -- and mostly notably during extended downhill portions -- the fork sunk down into its travel and stayed there. I would have to stop, hit the level and the fork would spring back out to full travel.

Also, at the end of the ride, the fork pressure read 115psi, when it was 150 at the start.

Thoughts? Help? Thanks.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Just bought a brand-new-in-box 2008 Manitou Minute Elite 140 IT for my Ragley Blue Pig build. I had used the 29er (non-IT) version of this fork twice previously and had good success.

Took this fork out on its maiden run today and had some problems.

Initially, I had planned to remove the IT travel adjust function as I don't use it. A call to Manitou revealed that's not possible.

So, I aired up the fork to about 150 psi (I'm a hair over 200 pounds in gear), following the instructions to manipulate the travel adjust lever during the process to equal the pressures. The fork felt pretty decent overall. However, during the ride -- and mostly notably during extended downhill portions -- the fork sunk down into its travel and stayed there. I would have to stop, hit the level and the fork would spring back out to full travel.

Also, at the end of the ride, the fork pressure read 115psi, when it was 150 at the start.

Thoughts? Help? Thanks.
    Other then a leak somewhere, It sounds like the pressure wasnt equalized. I would put it back to 150 and see if its better next time. I know Manitou had some issues with the IT spring(thats why they dont use it anymore) If it keeps happening, I would call manitou again and see what they can do for you.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. Wanted to see if anyone had direct experience with this particular issue. I've taken apart several of these forks, so no issues doing that if necessary.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Manitou is closed until January 4th. If anyone has experience or links to help I'd appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Wanted to see if anyone had direct experience with this particular issue. I've taken apart several of these forks, so no issues doing that if necessary.

When the fork sinks down in its travel like that it is because of an air leak in the outer quad ring or lack of oil on the piston. First thing I would do is carefully (and I mean carefully) open the IT side and pour about 5 mL of motor oil (10-40w) down there. Close it up (again carefully) and ride it. If that helps, you are good to go. Otherwise, you may have to replace the outer-quad ring. This is easy, just call Manitou and they them about the problem. They will send you a new quad-ring, the directions are on their web-site. Post back if you have problems.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. Just pour the motor oil directly into the left leg?

mtbr member
    Thanks. Just pour the motor oil directly into the left leg?

Yup, just pour it on top of the piston.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Heh, I have the same problem going on as of today. Figured it was an air pressure issue, so I got my pump and checked it, still right at the pressure I left it. I might have to try the motor oil. It's a Minute 29'er 100mm. It's sagged down to about 80mm and wont come back up.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just posted for the same problem. Has anyone tried the oil yet? manitou says plain 40 wt. oil, Vespasianus any reason to go 10-40 vs. straight 40 wt?

Any solutions?

thanks