mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Need help with manitou

I need a new spring, firm to extra, for my manitou black elite. Can any of you get me going in the right direction? I really like this fork.

mbtr member
    I went through this recently getting a vintage sherman back on the trail. I emailed manitou and checked if they had xfirm springs in stock, and then ordered one through my LBS. For a Black, you're gonna need a ?28mm? socket that has had the chamfers ground flat to grab the plastic nut at the top. (i doubt your lbs has one ) I made one for my Black back in the day by holding the socket against an angle grinder. Once the cap is off you can just drop the new spring in, but i would pull the lowers (the damper side is threaded from the inside- reverse thread!!) replace the stanchion seals- about 20$, and pour a tablespoon of 10w-30 in to each side of the lowers.

All that said, the TPC+ blacks were very well behaved, plush forks, but if you need an xfirm spring in one.... i'd ditch it in favor of a more robust chassis. I had a xfirm'ed black, and i think it did about half the steering for me. I replaced mine with a tora with moco, and although it wasn't as smoove, omg the bike went where i pointed it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I plan on doing all that. I'm starting to think I need med. to firm. Today I played with the settings and I used almost all the travel, zip tie showed half inch from the crown so there is still another full inch to go.