mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Need Help to Determine Rear Shock Size - GT I-Drive and Mongoose Tocali

All,

I need help to determine the Rear Shock size for the frames I purchased from Nashbar:
    1. Mongoose Teocali Comp Frame - Size Small (I believe it is 200mmx75mm or 7.875"x2.25")

Also, anyone know the steer tube diameter for the Teocali? Is this the infamous 1.25"?

and
    2. GT I-Drive 4 4.0 - Size Extra Small (I believe it is 165mmx38mm or 6.5"x1.5")

Also, any recommendations on the mounting hardware for these two frames? I'm not sure if the hardware will come with the frames from Nashbar...anyone already get these frames from Nashbar...did they have mounting hardware?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    All,

I need help to determine the Rear Shock size for the frames I purchased from Nashbar:
    1. Mongoose Teocali Comp Frame - Size Small (I believe it is 200mmx75mm or 7.875"x2.25")

Sorry, don't know about Mongoose.

Also, anyone know the steer tube diameter for the Teocali? Is this the infamous 1.25"?

and
    2. GT I-Drive 4 4.0 - Size Extra Small (I believe it is 165mmx38mm or 6.5"x1.5")

If you want to use a air shock, 6.5x1.5 is the way to go.

Also, any recommendations on the mounting hardware for these two frames? I'm not sure if the hardware will come with the frames from Nashbar...anyone already get these frames from Nashbar...did they have mounting hardware?

As far as I know, those frame were sold without the mounting hardware.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Thanks.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

What?
    2008 and newer teocali's use 200x57 (7.875x2.25)
    2007 or older frames use 200x50 (7.875x2)

Edit: Mounting hardaware is 19x8(which is a odd size that is hard to find)

Not sure about the GT

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks...attached is the picture of the frame...any idea what year this Teocali Comp S?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help to Determine Rear Shock Size - GT I-Drive and Mongoose Tocali-mongoose-teocali-comp-pic-20111011-00180.jpg  

What?
    That is a pre-2008 version. They revamped the frames in 2008 and dropped the seat tube gusset. From the color I am pretty sure that is a 2006 frame. It will have two travel settings as well. 125mm(if you mount the shock with the top hole on the rocker) and 145mm(bottom hole). 200x50 rear shock with 19x8 hardware should be correct.

Edit: The shock is 190x50(7.5x2) NOT 200x50

Huckin' trails
    Check bikepedia.com...

Never mind, I just took a look at bikepedia and it seems to be the 2006. Form the color and frame construction... BikePedia - 2006 Mongoose Teocali Comp Complete Bicycle

So you will need a 130mm fork and bikepedia says it comes with a 1 1/8 headset, the Ritchey Logic Zero, so I guess any 1 1/8 headset of your choice will do.

Check out the bikepedia link for more info....

And nice looking frame btw

David
    Last edited by David C; 10-11-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: image link not working
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

What?
    You can go higher then 130mm fork. The Teocali Elite/Supers usually came with 140mm fork. I didnt take the time to look it up, but I believe they were speced with 140mm Pikes.

Head set will be a semi-integrated(zero stack) head set. Any 1 1/8th semi-integrated headset will work, but a standard 1 1/8th will be to small. For the most part, they dont make standard 1 1/8th headsets anymore(for mountain bikes anyway), just make sure is says semi-integrated or zero stack when you buy one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks guys for your input...I have my eye out for both the hardware and shocks for both frames.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    You can go higher then 130mm fork. The Teocali Elite/Supers usually came with 140mm fork. I didnt take the time to look it up, but I believe they were speced with 140mm Pikes.

Head set will be a semi-integrated(zero stack) head set. Any 1 1/8th semi-integrated headset will work, but a standard 1 1/8th will be to small. For the most part, they dont make standard 1 1/8th headsets anymore(for mountain bikes anyway), just make sure is says semi-integrated or zero stack when you buy one.
    Bikepedia said the bike came stock with a 130mm fork. But it's up to you.

David

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Bikepedia said the bike came stock with a 130mm fork. But it's up to you.

David
    Bikepedia says the teocali super that year came with a 140mm fork. Same exact frame, just speced better.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I think the GT I-Drive 4 takes a weird size shock, 6 x 1.25 not 6.5 x 1.5. Tech info for 2006
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just picked up one of these frames from Nashbar as well (the 2007 model that lacks a lot of the cut outs the 2006 model has). The info in this thread has been great, but I wanted to ask a follow up question about shock sizing. While it's supposed to use a 190x50 would a 200x50 or 200x57mm shock work fine as well? My (n00b) assumption is that it would but the extra shock length wouldn't be taken advantage of by the geometry of the bike.

What?
    I had an 08 teocali and the frame could not accept a longer shock. It had about 1mm clearance between the back of the rocker arm and the rear triangle, no where near enough for the longer shock. Its been a while since I have seen a 07 or later frame, but I am pretty sure its the same. The only way to be sure is to measure.

the mechanic
    Mar 2011
    Frog, here are the specs direct from FOX for the GT

2007 GT I-DRIVE 4 4.0 - 6" max length with 1.25" travel
    body hardware kit # 803-03-047
    shaft hardware kit # 803-03-030

Good luck and EARN YOUR WINGS!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    tech86...thanks for the information. Interesting that the box the frame came in says it is Race Black, however, in actuality the frame is a very dark blue. Also, I purchased a 6.5"x1.5" (165x38mm) rear shock and the eye to eye doesn't line up--it appears to be too long. I'm assuming this is because I need a 6" eye to eye...right. (Sorry for the newbie questions)

Also, it looks darn near impossible to find a 6.0"x1.25" travel rear shock. Any thoughts on where to get one without costing an arm and a leg? I've looked seemingly everywhere online.

Huckin' trails
    RockShox SID on eBay goes for $100 new. 6x1.25. And sometimes it has best offer option too. But you only have air pressure adjustment. No lock-out. Maybe rebound ? No speed compression control either.

Look around.

David

the mechanic
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    tech86...thanks for the information. Interesting that the box the frame came in says it is Race Black, however, in actuality the frame is a very dark blue. Also, I purchased a 6.5"x1.5" (165x38mm) rear shock and the eye to eye doesn't line up--it appears to be too long. I'm assuming this is because I need a 6" eye to eye...right. (Sorry for the newbie questions)

Also, it looks darn near impossible to find a 6.0"x1.25" travel rear shock. Any thoughts on where to get one without costing an arm and a leg? I've looked seemingly everywhere online.

Exactly you need a 6" eye to eye shock. With 1.25" of travel. Ebay would be your best bet to find a good deal. Just make sure the shock is 6" x 1.25" Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Another Question...

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Check bikepedia.com...

Never mind, I just took a look at bikepedia and it seems to be the 2006. Form the color and frame construction... BikePedia - 2006 Mongoose Teocali Comp Complete Bicycle

------------------------------

Another newbie question...Any issue using an air chamber rear shock on the Teocali Comp frame?...and not a spring rear shock? Assuming they will work equally good.

So you will need a 130mm fork and bikepedia says it comes with a 1 1/8 headset, the Ritchey Logic Zero, so I guess any 1 1/8 headset of your choice will do.

Check out the bikepedia link for more info....

And nice looking frame btw

David
    ------------------------------------------------------

Another newbie question...Any issue using an air chamber rear shock on the Teocali Comp frame?...and not a spring rear shock? Assuming they will work equally good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anyone with the 2005/6 I-Drive 5 know which size shock mounting hardware it uses?

Seems front and back are definitely different.

Can't believe what Nashbar was unloading these frame for!

JP