mtbr member
    May 2013

Need advice please! My front shock sucks!!!

I just bought a diamondback recoil comp 29er with a sun tour xcr lockout fork and it blows! I came from riding bmx/trails and love the mountain bike scene. So what's the best front fork to run? I weight 205lbs and can bottom this pos out and I'm pretty sure after 4 rides its just wasted. What's good stuff? Fox, marzocchi? Want to get into downhill should I just spend the cash now and get a triple crown style? Thanks for helping

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Diamondback Recoil Comp seems like a nice bike but I think you are over-stressing it. You shouldn't be dirt jumping (I assume you meant that when you said bmx/trails) or using it for downhill/freeride. It's was designed for XC and light AM. Also you can't just put a DH fork on it and call it a DH bike.

For the actual question on which fork to get I would say, considering your riding style, go for a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1 or any similar fork from other manufacturers.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Yep, put on a 200mm triple crown, void your warranty, bust your frame and hopefully not bust you at the same time.
    There's a reason that frame only has a 100mm fork on it, that's all it was designed for.
    You've got a XC bike, maybe you need to get a new bike that will be more suited to the type of riding you want to do.

Stock forks aren't made to suit all riders weights, sometimes you'll need to upgrade the springs in them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm not trying to just say put a downhill for on it and say it's a downhill/free ride bike. I'm just trying to figure out what's a good set up that's between hitting jumps and the free ride/downhill scene. Is this bike even worth putting money into? And I honestly didn't even no it had a warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Its a coil shock. Get a stiffer spring.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Need advice please! My front shock sucks!!!

Look at the Suntour upgrade program and do you have a budget? Or do you just want the "best". The Recon Gold is only $238 at Random Bike Parts. Just a thought. Else, look for a Reba or used Reba.