mtbr member
    Aug 2008

MZ 55 RC3 Ti - ETA upgrade

hello.

will be there some problems if i put ETA on 2010 or 2011 model?

thanks.

best regards

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    interesting idea, which eta cartridge would you use, from what fork?
    You will have to find top & bottom caps that will fit both your fork & whatever cartridge you choose, plus the cartridge & spring length (unless you can use your current spring) will have to match your current fork.
    If you end up doing it, I'd be really interested in doing it as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i will take cartidge from 55 ETA 2008. our MZ dealer said that this could be possible. but i don't know how good this fork will work.

Go back to school
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLi
    i will take cartidge from 55 ETA 2008. our MZ dealer said that this could be possible. but i don't know how good this fork will work.
    Believe it or not Marzocchi is usually more than welcome to help their users modify their forks with Marzocchi OEM equipment...Throw them a call.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks Bikesair. i spoke with MZ and there is no problem upgrading rc3 with ETA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Im going to revive this thread to see if anyone has done it.

I want to do the upgrade as I have a 2008 eta 55 and could buy a cheap 2010 55 rc3 ti.

I was thinking of swapping the ETA cartridge from the right stanchion on the 2008 to the left on the rc3ti, but Im unsure what spring i should use, the Ti spring of the regular ETA spring that requires air support.

any help is greatly appreciated

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    You should be able to use the eta cartridge complete, spring & end caps as a complete component ?
    My RC-3 cartridges are on the "all air" side of the fork, & wouldn't need to be altered.
    It would be nice to use the ti spring on the eta cartridge, but I'd be surprised if the length would be the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have looking at it for a couple of hours and researching the web.

Dont know for sure how it will end up but I see that the RC3 Ti has air preload on the damper side (right leg) and then the left leg has the ti pring with mechanical preload.

I would swap the eta cart from the roght leg to the rc3 left leg and try to use the Ti spring, but I would be left without mechanical preload, maybe I can use some plastic shims inside to preload the ti pring to my weight.

Has anybody done the mod?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Let us know how that turns out. Seems like if you use a spacer with the ti spring you might not get full travel from the fork, but I could well be mistaken...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I would only space out what would normally be done with the mechanical preload adjuster, so It would not be any different than oem spec.

I will try to only use the eta cart but retain everything else from the rc3 Ti,

Ill post my findings with some pics once I do the swap

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Would be an interesting feature for sure. What would you sacrifice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Im guessing it will add some weight but nothing else

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    it was the ATA not the ETA, at least my eta works perfectly and the ATA I had did not

The ata is the air travel adjust, it winded down on its own and somepeople had it get stuck down also

the eta is an oil lock, it works perfectly but needs more oil in the chamber thus weight goes up

mtbr member
    Wasnt 08 ETA was the system that basically tanked marzocchis reputation? It seems very sketchy to install any 08 marz parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I disassembled my new 55 RC3 Ti tonight and could not find a way to fit the Ti spring on the ETA cart, there are ways but it will require a lot of fabrication (press fit ring on the eta cart to hold the Ti spring is my only solution)

i will post a pic tomorrow of the eta cart fully assembled with its weak blue spring and the ti spring

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a 2010 55 RC3 eta that I built. To make it work well, you need to run a dual spring setup like on the z1 forks. Running tons of air in the ETA side makes the fork perform like crap. You need a donor fork to really make it work. Mine is for sale if anyone is interested (tapered).

It is a truly amazing fork, but the project was really hard to get right, since there are no instructions on how to pull it off, and I had to try all sorts of combinations to pull it off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What springs did you use?

I want to use the ETA cart and the Ti spring, I was messing with it yesterday and I think I can make it work, I will just need a couple of custom bits.

RIP Friendgirl
    300hp sounds spot on with his assessment. One problem you might face is if your not very heavy it might be over sprung. My 2005 Z1 FR1 ETA feels great but is slightly stiff for my 185lb riding weight.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I dont want to run dual springs mainly because id have to source more parts and the extra weight

Id like to take advantage of the Ti spring on the RC3 but use the ETA cart

RIP Friendgirl
    Not sure on the later ETA cartridge, but the older ones were designed around a coil spring.

Call Marzocchi & talk to the source. They will give you the answer for sure.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The spring that goes on the eta cart is much shorter than the spring in a stock 55rc3.

I'm using springs out of an older 35mm stanchion 66, the baby blue ones.

It is the perfect length to fit on the rc3 cart.

Run the light spring that comes on the eta cart, and 2-4 pumps of air in that leg, and zero air in the rc3 leg. Set oil height to 60mm from the top (fork compressed, carts in) in each leg.

Enjoy.

Remember, the eta cart needs to be properly primed every ride to work well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    here is a pic of the eta cart and light spring vs the Ti spring

300hp, let me see if I understood. I should keep the ETA side stock with just a couple of pumps of air and use the 66 spring on the damper side over the rc3 cart?

This seems like it would work but it would make the fork heavier and I would have to source the 66 spring. I will try to adapt the Ti spring to the ETA cart, I am going to machine a lock on ring to use as a base on the eta cart for the Ti spring, then mod the top cap so the spring can seat with its base and Ill remove the air preload from that leg (it still has the air preload on the rc3 leg)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    jetpilot,
    Yup, that is what I did.

The spring is really light on the 66....150g max. So yes, it adds a little weight to the fork, but on the plus side it keeps you from having to machine anything. They always seem to pop up on pinkbike. A spring from a 35mm stanchion 66 or 888 should work just fine. The white plastic spring perch with the "lip" with perforated holes in it is a perfect fit.

good luck!
    H