mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Mystery wash in rockshox reba lower...

I have had my trek x-caliber for a little over a year so i decided it was time to change the fluid and seals.

I was looking up the negative chamber when i noticed a washer that seems to be out of place. The washer looks trapped between the post in the middle and the outer covering.

I am hesitant to change the seals and fluid now because something maybe damaged by the wedged washer. Should i take it to the lbs to check for warranty? What would you do?

The fork seems to be working fine except for sometimes when i have it locked out it clicks.

Its a rockshox reba rl

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery wash in rockshox reba lower...-uploadfromtaptalk1359414690524.jpg  

Mystery wash in rockshox reba lower...-uploadfromtaptalk1359414731771.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm doubting the washer itself caused any damage (it's probably the rubber washer that's supposed to seal that connection), but I would service right away to make sure you still have splash oil in that leg. I think that kind of works as a 2nd seal because the internal connection is pretty tight and should provide at least a partial seal.

Up to you if you want to have the shop deal with it. May not be a bad idea to at least show it to them so they can see it before it is taken apart just in case there is a problem.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I know you may not be able to zoom in but the washer is metal and wedged in there i touched it lightly with a small screw driver.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I would just take it all apart and check for damage (which dosnt seem likely as it looks like the washer is separated from any o-rings?).
    And are all those black flecks dirt?! I'm sure my revs have never looked that dirty inside

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's a "crush washer" . For some reason I thought they used a rubber one on the air leg. Anyway, the point of a crush washer is that it is a softer metal than the metal pieces it is coming in contact with. That doesn't mean it couldn't possibly cause some kind of damage from offsetting the angle in there, but the washer itself is designed to deform first.
    If it were me, I would just take it apart and replace the crush washer. But then again, I never bring anything back to where I purchased it.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Why is there a crushed washer? What is designed to do? During all of the rebuild videos i watched they did not mention this washer.

Did anyone ever replace this washer? Now that i look in the rebuild kit i see a little washer in there but i am not sure if that is the correct one or not.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take off the nut on that leg and you'll see a notch where that seal used to be. You will probably need to replace it though since you crushed part of it under the nut...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Definitely need to pull the lowers. replenish the oil and replace the seals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Took the bike to the lbs and they said to just go ahead and change the oil and seals and put the new crusher washer on correctly and see how it goes.