mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is my rear shock supposed to lose air?

I just picked up a GT Sensor 9r Elite a few weeks ago and I've noticed that my shock settles at 170psi after every ride.

I weigh 250lbs and the sag I want (~20%) requires 210psi. Is this to be expected or is it because my shock is broken or cheap to begin with or because I'm too heavy for it?

It's an X-Fusion 02 RL. I can replace with a Fox Float or something if necessary.

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    No, your shock is not supposed to lose air.
    Take it to the LBS you bought it from and tell them what is happening. They might be able to guarantee it or at least service it.

Another thing, which is less likely, is that the shock is losing air when you disconnect the shock pump. Try inflating it to 210 psi, then disconnect, then connect again and check if the shock is still at 210 psi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
    No, your shock is not supposed to lose air.
    Take it to the LBS you bought it from and tell them what is happening. They might be able to guarantee it or at least service it.

Another thing, which is less likely, is that the shock is losing air when you disconnect the shock pump. Try inflating it to 210 psi, then disconnect, then connect again and check if the shock is still at 210 psi.
    I did the latter and it remained where I left it.

Does this bike suck or something? I'm having issues with the brakes too and the bike has 40 miles on it. Kind of sucks spending $1500 on a bike and having to fix stuff right away.

No, the bike does not suck.
    Maybe the guys who built it (put it together) are the ones that suck! haha.
    What is the problem with your brakes?
    If you're still losing pressure, send the shock to a service center.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
    No, the bike does not suck.
    Maybe the guys who built it (put it together) are the ones that suck! haha.
    What is the problem with your brakes?
    If you're still losing pressure, send the shock to a service center.
    Ugh, I don't want to deal with being without the shock for however long that takes. I'd rather just order a new one and sell this one after the fact.

The brakes are making a crap load of noise, like a little girl screaming. But they're Avid's so I guess that's not surprising. Just ordered some Shimano XT's so that problem should go away.

Kick Start My Heart

Re: Is my rear shock supposed to lose air?

I know if I spent $1500 on a bike and it has brake and shock problems, it would be going back to the vendor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    I know if I spent $1500 on a bike and it has brake and shock problems, it would be going back to the vendor.

I already went back twice for the brakes and they only fixed the rear. I found the Shimano XT front for $110 and it's an upgrade I want anyway so that's fine...

Didn't know the shock was doing something it shouldn't until about 10 minutes ago but I'll be going back for that.

Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post

That's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Ugh, I don't want to deal with being without the shock for however long that takes. I'd rather just order a new one and sell this one after the fact.

The brakes are making a crap load of noise, like a little girl screaming. But they're Avid's so I guess that's not surprising. Just ordered some Shimano XT's so that problem should go away.
    Loosen the 5 mm allen bolts of the caliper just a little bit to let it move freely. Then pull the lever. Tighten the allen bolts while pulling the lever. That should align your calliper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I already went back twice for the brakes and they only fixed the rear. I found the Shimano XT front for $110 and it's an upgrade I want anyway so that's fine...

Didn't know the shock was doing something it shouldn't until about 10 minutes ago but I'll be going back for that.
    You should definitely take the bike back to the seller.