mtbr member
    Jan 2008

My PUSH'd Fox Vanilla 125 RLC just doesn't feel right

I recently bought a used Heckler with a PUSH'd Fox Vanilla 125 RLC. The rider was within 5 lbs of my weight, so I figured the spring in it would be perfect for me.

When I'm moving fast over really rocky areas, I feel like the whole front end is bouncing around, knocking the crap out of my hands. I have to brake so I don't completely lose control. Does PUSH use an extra stiff spring or something? I've noticed I almost never get more than 3" of travel out of the fork.

Also, is there an easy way for me to know what kind of spring they have in there (i.e. are they color coded)? I'd like to get it working well without shipping my fork off to them.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    1. is it locked out? the RLC can be you know.

2. yes the springs are color coded, check the fox manual for what the colors mean.

3. how old is the oil in the fork, it may need a change,

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    also how much do you weigh? If you are light there may be nothing you can do since it seems Fox runs pretty heavy springs (even their light is not that light) and there is no source for aftermarket lighter ones.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I think it depends on what type of riding your doing, because push will tune it for exactly that. For example if the previous owner was riding FR/DH and your riding XC then the fork wont ride as well as it should.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the pointers guys. The lock-out setting it set all the way open, so unless it's broken, it shouldn't be locked out. The springs are usually replaced by PUSH I think - do they use Fox springs?

The previous owner did tell them he was into jumping, so that might be a factor. I like getting air, but I'm not taking it to pump tracks or anything.

Perhaps I should just take it apart, make sure it's all working properly, and get a light spring if needed (I weight 180).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If the previous owner was a jumper, I would look for some type of bottoming control like a progressively wound spring. Call PUSH and see what the possiblities are. I had the same fork (not pushed) and it felt great and easily got full travel.

mtbr member
    check the rebound... the previous owner may have set super slow (for jumping) which can cause the fork to pack up when hitting bumps at speed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE
    If the previous owner was a jumper, I would look for some type of bottoming control like a progressively wound spring. Call PUSH and see what the possiblities are. I had the same fork (not pushed) and it felt great and easily got full travel.
    Yah I had the same fork on my previous bike. I was very excited when I unpacked the bike, thinking PUSH would have made it even better, but I liked my previous fork much better for fast, bumpy terrain.

I'm betting it's either the spring, the compression (maybe the lockout is broken), or both. It might be easiest to send it back to PUSH and have them take care of it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    if it was setup with jumping in mind, it may want to be re-valved for more general use. And like the others said, spring and oil weight change could be good too.

i'd highly advocate contacting push about it.

they do *not* necessarily change springs as far as I know, the fox replacements are to my knowledge not difficult to get.

i have a pushed vanilla rlc 125 just like you're talking about, it's faaaaabulous ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Alright, sounds like the best thing to do would be to send it back to PUSH. I thought about swapping it out for a 140 Talas, but it's probably cheaper just to get it reworked.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09

Blah Push..

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat
    Alright, sounds like the best thing to do would be to send it back to PUSH. I thought about swapping it out for a 140 Talas, but it's probably cheaper just to get it reworked.
    Don't send your fork to Push. I have the same complaint regarding my rear shock. My life has never been the same after being pushed. Now I'm a lot scared descending rocky terrain or rock beds. It's great for climbing.