Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program

so I almost have the new Raidon lo air fork for my bike but first let me recap my experience.

mid may
    I contacted Suntour about the program to get pricing and general info.
    they contacted me back in a day or two and I got the info I need.
    doc I received:
    "SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program Guidelines

SR Suntour North America is excited to launch a new program geared towards its North American customers. The intention of this program will allow the end user to upgrade his/her own suspension fork to something that will align better with their riding style and overall expectations than their current suspension fork.

To participate in this program consumers are encouraged to visit the shop in which they purchased the bicycle from to make sure that the necessary upgrades make sense and that the appropriate fork is ordered to fit the bicycle and its intended use. Dealers should contact SR Suntour North America for product availability and ordering.

For consumers that do not have the ability to work through a local dealer they are welcome to contact us directly to participate in the program and discuss fitment, pricing and product availability.

To be eligible and qualify for the Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program one must provide the following:

Serial number of current SR Suntour fork
    Receipt of existing fork and or bicycle in which the fork came stock
    Agreement that the fork will not be resold to a 3rd party

Forks currently available through this program include the following SR Suntour models

Raidon RL R Air Disc Blk 26 $150.00
    Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk/White 29 $175.00
    Epicon TAD 15Qlc 150-110 Disc Blk/White 26 $250.00
    Epicon LO R 15Qlc White 29 $275.00
    Axon RL 15Qlc Blk/White 26 $300.00

SR Suntour North America 14511 NE 10th Ave Unit E Vancouver WA 98685 Phone: 360-737-6450"

mid to late June
    I decide to do the upgrade and go to my Trek shop and get the ball rolling. They contact Suntour to get info on it and this basically took the rest of the month.

June 30th, July 1st
    I go to the Trek shop and find out they get the basic info and pricing.
    I find out that it says it cost $189 for the Raidon lo air fork. The Trek shop tells me they have to find out how to get this started. I contact Suntour about the price change and they tell me they ran out of they 150 stock and they new ones are MY2014 and cost $189.

early July
    Trek shop finds out what they need from me and I bring my bike in for the current Suntour fork I'd number under the stem. They have my proof of purchase in the computer and they get it all together. I check the install price through the shop. I approve that I want to go through with this and they contact Suntour. Suntour tells they shop they will send it off that day (July 11th) or next and it will be 5-6 business day shipping that I will have to pay. I hope it arrives early.

estimated cost:
    Raidon lo air fork. $189
    shipping. $10
    install. . $60

total. $250 and a lot of time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So were you happy with the result or ??? Sounds like a descent option for someone that wasn't happy w/ their original purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have not got the fork yet and have not paid so I can't make a full conclusion. But dealing with suntour has not been the quickest thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I have not got the fork yet and have not paid so I can't make a full conclusion. But dealing with suntour has not been the quickest thing.
    Dealing w/ most manufactures isn't going to be a quick process. Combine an LBS as a middle man and you have the possible makings of "molasses".

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The shop got the fork today and got to watch the install but unforchunately the manager was not there to inventory it so I could not leave with it. Got to ride in the parking lot and it felt good.
    Is "sf13" the model code? because that was on the invoice and I was paying $189 for the MY2014.

my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program-cimg0751.jpg
    my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program-cimg0753.jpg

FKA Malibu412
    For about the same money you could have bought a Rockshox Recon Solo Air and avoided the hassle of dealing with SR Suntour.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member

Re: my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program

Where can I get a Recon for $189?

Sent from a boring meeting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Was wondering the same thing. Maybe he is thinking total cost but i'd still need it installed.
    Also my friend at the shop said he would only charge $20 for the install since it didn't take long. so price is down to about $225 with install, star nut, and shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program

Actually this seems like it kinda works like employee purschace works. Those can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to process.
    Of course saving money means pain somewhere else, in your case time.

Please post how fork works.

Bill

mtbr member

Last I checked sf13 was the 2013 version, doesn't even look any different than '12/13 models.

I'm glad I work on my own bikes with what shops charge just to put forks on, Damn.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Last I checked sf13 was the 2013 version, doesn't even look any different than '12/13 models.

I'm glad I work on my own bikes with what shops charge just to put forks on, Damn.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Do you know if MY2014 means 2014 model?

mtbr member
    Tell that shop to route the front brake cable inside the lower!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think I'll be doing that tomorrow when I pick it up if I remember.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got my bike today and will not be able to ride it for a while (school till the 25th) but in the box was a poster, a sticker, the new fork and a spare brake line clip. I had them run the brake line on the inside and it looks much cleaner. I tested it on some curbs and it feels good, but I'll have to test it on a trail after the 25th and get back to you all. The total was $241.68 with tax.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

I paid $238 for my recon gold and an additional $40 for the install. $278 total. (just as a comparison) Definitely worth it.
    You'll immediately notice an improvement in the ride for sure on that fork. Post a review!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I paid $238 for my recon gold and an additional $40 for the install. $278 total. (just as a comparison) Definitely worth it.
    You'll immediately notice an improvement in the ride for sure on that fork. Post a review!
    This. At the most, aside from the fork cost, I'll pay a shop $10 or a couple coffees/beers to cut the steerer and install a star nut and do the rest myself, including routing the brake line/cable. Better fork and so much less hassle dealing with SRAM.

However, the Raidon (Finish him!) is supposed to be a decent fork so I'd be glad to hear your impressions. I have a family member riding a Jamis with the Epicon and so far it's been reliable, somewhat tunable, and has good action. Only thing not so hot for him is the SR 15mm through-axle design. It's a little fragile and finicky compared to the Fox and RS designs.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    SR Suntours motto is "wrinch less, ride more" with there "quick service products" so I think they are improving there reliability and at least making it less of a hassle for service. From my limited curb riding I have noticed less flex in the tub then reviews led on. And if your talking about trying to get a quick release wheel onto the fork
    Only thing not so hot for him is the SR 15mm through-axle design. It's a little fragile and finicky compared to the Fox and RS designs.
    Then yes it is extremely Finicky. It takes me about double to triple the time to get my wheel on compared to the XCT fork I had.

mtbr member
    Hey There,

We have updated the design on our 4 year old version Qloc and have the new Qloc 2. It has the ability to lock the collet to slide through hubs much easier. They are available for sale from us for anyone looking to upgrade.

cheers, NICK
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hey There,

We have updated the design on our 4 year old version Qloc and have the new Qloc 2. It has the ability to lock the collet to slide through hubs much easier. They are available for sale from us for anyone looking to upgrade.

cheers, NICK
    How much are those? I"m hoping less then $50. Would it work good with the Raidon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hey There,

cheers, NICK
    How much are those? I"m hoping less then $50. Would it work good with the Raidon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I took the bike out and had a change to test it for a couple hours at Castlewood park. It seemed like a huge improvement from the xct that was on my bike. The lockout works good for climbing and functions great. The old fork was preloaded and since I weigh less then the average rider the rebound is right where it should be and if need be I can adjust it. Before the coil would rebound from larger bumps and make the bike hard to control. Its pretty good now. I found that it rolled over things better now, like a root, it would take way more of the impact then the old one. When coming off of something, the front wheel would land soooo nicely compared to before. And the smaller bumps are way less affective over the control of my bike. Now I found that but bike does handle a bit different, since my frame was for a fork with 80mm of travel and I have put on a 120mm fork, the front wheel is an inch or two forward with the ground contacts. It will take some getting use to. also I have had more problems with the quick release that came with this bike working with this fork, its less open around the quick release axle opening so I cant spin the side with the release leaver so I have to hand tighten the opposite side with the leave in a fixed spot and then clamp the leaver. Today it actually came untight twice while riding which is a bit worry some, I am going to really triple check its solid before biking.

now a few close up pics
    my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program-cimg0779.jpg
    my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program-cimg0773.jpg
    my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program-cimg0771.jpg
    my experience with the SR Suntour fork loyalty program-cimg0772.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    The shop got the fork today and got to watch the install but unforchunately the manager was not there to inventory it so I could not leave with it. Got to ride in the parking lot and it felt good.
    Is "sf13" the model code? because that was on the invoice and I was paying $189 for the MY2014.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0751.jpg 
Views:	1101 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	816851
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0753.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	816852
    Did it come with a pump?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihitatree View Post
    Did it come with a pump?
    nope

vbx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not a bad deal. I bought the Raidon XC with the remote speed lock on ebay for $175 and it cost me $20 to install.

Happy with it so far. A LOT better than the cheap crap the bike came with originally. The remote speed lock switch is a nice feature.

It also came with some FSA spacers. But for some reason, the shop didn't install those and I can't find it anywhere in the box. hmmm....

edit: Anyone know where the serial number is located?

Their warranty registration is a bit complicated. They want the dealership address and phone numbers. So if you got it on ebay, good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Serial number is on the back of the leg of the fork. I've looked for that model on eBay, but no luck on 29"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast