Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

My Cane Creek DB Inline experience...

I'm new to MTBR but it was suggested I post this here for more visibility and maybe some more feedback...

In August 2014 I bought a Specialized Enduro Expert Carbon 650b with the Cane Creek DB Inline, RockShox Pike, SRAM X01 etc ... the bike is excellent, by far the best thing I've ever ridden. My LBS set me up on the bike with the correct sag etc and for the first week or so I didn't touch the DB Inline tune settings or even use the Climb Switch. I wanted to get a feel for the bike first before I started playing around with HSC, LSC, HSR & LSR. After another week or two, I had the DB Inline dialed-in to my riding style, local trail conditions etc and was very happy with the performance.

A short time later the DB Inline started "chirping" on the compression stroke, no other way to describe it really other than a short, sharp, high-pitched sound nearly every time the shock compressed. The performance of the shock changed, not necessarily in a bad way but it was now different and I found myself changing the tune again. I knew the DB Inline moved more oil through the chambers than most other shocks so I didn't know if the chirping sound was normal or not but I obviously had a feeling that something wasn't quite right. The sound the shock made every time I went to compress into a jump or hop over a log bugged me more than it should have. I tried a bunch of different tune settings / air-pressures, pulled the air can off to check it and suss out the volume spacers (1 large one installed) and other than dropping the air volume right down to an impractical psi, the chirping persisted.

I spoke with my LBS where I purchased the bike and while they're an awesome bunch of guys, they weren't able to provide any real solution to the problem so in the end I contacted Cane Creek direct. I have to say, CC's customer service was exceptional. They asked for a short video of the shock making the chirping sound so I sent a video of me just bouncing up and down on the bike in my back yard while my wife filmed it. I received a response within a few hours advising that they agreed something wasn't right and that they would send me a new shock. I'm in Australia but I had the new replacement shock in my hands in 6 days which was pretty impressive. I kept hold of the original DB Inline but with the intention of sending the original back after I was happy that the replacement shock was all good and that the chirping was not normal behaviour.

I installed the new shock and have been riding it without issue since early/mid October. I had a thought in the back of my mind that the first DB Inline changed after I started using the Climb Switch so I deliberately didn't use it on the new replacement shock. I found a balanced tune where I didn't have too much pedal-bob but where the shock was still plush and I really didn't feel like I was missing anything by not using the Climb Switch.

Fast forward to two nights ago and I used the Climb Switch on the replacement shock for the first time while going for a quick ride around my neighbourhood, almost immediately after I turned it back off, the shock was different. The LSR seemed to be ramped right up, pedal-bob was now really noticeable and the sound of the oil flowing through the shock was more pronounced. I put the bike away and didn't think too much more of it until I hit the trails today and noticed that the replacement shock was now "chirping" on the compression stroke again.

I'm at a loss as to what the chirping sound is and how/why or if it is actually related to using the Climb Switch. From reading CC's doco on the DB Inline, flicking the Climb Switch lever on simply increases the amount of LSC to make it a bit stiffer while riding up hill.

I've spent a fair bit of time on Cane Creek's "The Lounge" amongst other forums and while I've read about the DB Inline's reliability issues, I've only come across one other rider who had a similar experience with the DB Inline "chirping". He didn't post much info so I couldn't really get anything from his issue.

Anyway, not really sure what I was hoping to get out of this post other than to share my experience ... maybe if other DB Inline riders could reply if they've had any issues or anything similar to the chirping and what they've done, if anything, to resolve it?

Thanks for reading...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the detailed post....I'm thinking of getting an inline as well. This is the first time I've read about this problem. Hopefully it's just a small percentage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Thanks for the detailed post....I'm thinking of getting an inline as well. This is the first time I've read about this problem. Hopefully it's just a small percentage.
    I've now come across two others who have had the same or similar problem. One of those sent his DB Inline back to Cane Creek and they advised that there was a small leak between the air and nitrogen chambers.

I also came across a guy from a suspension shop who advised that they've been servicing all their DB Inline shocks out of the box before they sell them because they've seen a few with main air seal problems.

I still believe this is the best shock I've ridden and if it wasn't for the excellent customer service I've had from Cane Creek, I would have moved on to a different shock by now.
    Last edited by Free_Thee; 01-12-2015 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    I wonder if the climb switch is causing it to suck air into the damping oil. Like the Fox's do!
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I wonder if the climb switch is causing it to suck air into the damping oil. Like the Fox's do!
    Have you seen this a few times Dougal? In your opinion is it a design or assembly problem? Any other info you can share?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Thee View Post
    Have you seen this a few times Dougal? In your opinion is it a design or assembly problem? Any other info you can share?

Thanks!
    I haven't seen that problem in a cane creek or had to work on one yet. But it's a big problem with the fox shocks. In the Fox's it can be mitigated by running higher IFP pressure.
    This does have some downsides though, specifically higher seal drag and it adds to the spring rate.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Same thing happened to my DBInline, new one is on the way atm, hopefully this doesn't happen again.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    Same thing happened to my DBInline, new one is on the way atm, hopefully this doesn't happen again.
    Specialized bike? I've read that the yoke mount is hard on shocks?

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Nope, purchased aftermarket for my Norco sight.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    Nope, purchased aftermarket for my Norco sight.
    What's your feeling? Would you wait awhile to see if they have some kinks to iron out? Or is it as good as people say?

ride all day
    Sep 2011

It's as good as people say, I think they were getting pushed out a little too fast with how much demand they had. Kinda same oversight as the sticker issues.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Add me to the list, but a different issue. I have a "step" in the first third of travel with no damping in that range. Already have a replacement and will keep everyone updated on durability.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Add me to the list, but a different issue. I have a "step" in the first third of travel with no damping in that range. Already have a replacement and will keep everyone updated on durability.
    Is this on your mojo hd3? One of the reasons I ordered a Bos Kirk.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    Is this on your mojo hd3? One of the reasons I ordered a Bos Kirk.
    Yes on my HD3. Hasn't really affected my riding since it is right at the sag point. Maybe it is a new feature with position sensitive damping!

ride all day
    Sep 2011

How long has it taken you guys to get your replacements, email said mine was shipping the 6th.

mtbr member
    Following...

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Just got email from cane creek saying they are building shocks to order so lead time is 2+ weeks out before they ship the shocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Knock wood my DB Inline is performing well. After some "dialing in" it seems worth every penny. It is new (mfg/assembled within the last 2 months) so maybe the issue(s) have been resolved?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i've had the same problem - chirping, mainly when climb switch is on. I'm in Australia and they sent me a new shock (arrived today) without too many questions asked. Service has been great.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    CC customer service IS exceptional. Unfortunately, many of us are finding that out directly as we're utilizing that great service. IMO, if you're riding a newer Cane Creek shock, you better have a backup shock if you ride a lot.

After utilizing their warranty service three or four times in 2014 on a DBA-CS, I will no longer run a shock that can't be self-serviced or LBS serviced.

mtbr member
    Mine is chirping too and I believe it begun when using the climb switch. I can't feel any difference in performance yet though, but there is a small amount of oil leaking out from the area with the adjustment screws, so something is definitely not right.

Here is where I occasionally see a drop of oil. Could be coming from the scews above.

My Cane Creek DB Inline experience...-dsc00998.jpg

I just sent a mail to CC. Let's hope there is a cure for this since I really like the shock.

mtbr member
    Just got my CCDB Inline for mounting on a demo Enduro29. We'll see how it goes. We service a lot of suspension but Cane Creek won't open us up for full service. I think the guys do a great job at Suspension Experts so if I'm too busy to do my own work on this sucker, I'll happily send it down to them. 100hrs on air can/damper for service is great though.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I got a new 2015 Enduro29 frame with inline, after one ride the shock developed the "stuck down" problem where the shock is sucked down and wont extend back up. Apparently it has something to do with the negative air valve. I've been dealing with Specialized for warranty which has been a nightmare, six weeks now without the shock due to it being sent to the wrong place first. The shock is also the batch with the mislabelled adjuster. New shock is finally on the way from Specialized, it'll be interesting to see if this is from a new batch or just one they had in stock.

i will say the Specialized offered me a RS Monarch Plus RC3 as an option instead of the inline but i decided to give the inline another try as i really want this shock for its performance and tunning options.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Should've taken the Monarch. I ran one on my E29 S-Works and it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Should've taken the Monarch. I ran one on my E29 S-Works and it was awesome.
    Win^^^^

mtbr member
    Update: I contacted Crane Creek and after some questions they sent me a new one under warranty. Now I'm also sure the shock is totally blown, because I tried it again and there is zero damping. Just bounces like mad and oil is dripping out onto the frame. The chirping sound is also worse than ever.

So, if you're having trouble with CC products, it seems like a good idea to contact them directly instead of dealing with the bike manufacturer. Excellent service!

mtbr member
    I got my Inline two weeks ago and three rides deep, air in the damper. I'm not talking about three epic, amazing backwoods rides but rather three local bs shakedown rides. I never touched the CS lever and ran the recommended LS/HS C/D settings at recommended settings.

I'll call those guys Tuesday but I'm not excited about having to deal with this on a brand new shock. The Fox inline CTD rear shocks do this all the time too but I had higher hopes for the Inline. I only wish CC would set me up as a service center so I could ease the sting to my customers when there are damper issues.

We'll see how it goes on Tuesday. I'm all but certain to just bolt up a Monarch Plus and move on with my life...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Update: Cane Creek says the zero-damping top-out feel that I shouldn't feel is normal. And despite getting full travel, I should run more sag. I should also air it down, cycle it to recharge the negative spring, air it back up and see if it's still there. And it's still there.

No thank you. Off it comes and back to the distributor.

There are so many things on bikes that I can't detect, why can't this be one of them! This is such a great shock on paper. It should be perfect for my riding style on this bike.

Oh well.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I had the DB Inline on the HD3. Shock was amazing for about the first 10 rides or so. Then it started to not feel as plush. I thought maybe I just became accustomed to it and didn't think much of it. I rode a pretty buffed out trail one day and accidently left the CS on for about 3 or 4 miles. Turned it off and all seemed normal. The next ride was at the trail by my house and it is really chunky. All of the sudden it felt odd, like a shock feels with loose or worn hardware. The first 1/3 of the travel was notchy and didn't appear to have dampening for compression or rebound in this part of the stroke. I rode it out and it started chirping a bit intermittently. I contacted Cane Creek, service was great. Hearing these stories I decided to pay 140 and upgrade to a DB Air CS. It took a few days for them to build and it is on its way currently. Now that it seems that it may be related to the CS, I don't know if I'll have to balls to use it again. Its prime riding season right now and I'm going to WA and BC for 2 weeks this summer. I don't want a shock blowing out on me up there. If this one doesn't work out I'll sell the next one and get a Monarch plus. Ill update on the Air CS.

mtbr member
    So I am really tempted/interested in the DBinline for my Mach 4 that should be arriving in May but I am concerned with these reliability issues. How common are issues with this shock and are the causes known? Are these design issues or just quality control failure issues? Are these complaints the overall normal experience of most or is this a case of only seeing the negative experiences posted from a small group compared to the overall user group? I would like to see a poll of positive experience vs negative experience to see how prevalent the issues are.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been riding mine since March and I've had no problems so far. I did get some black grease marks after the first couple of rides but it has stopped now, and it wasn't excessive so I wasn't concerned about it. Mine didn't come with the bike, I bough it new off ebay and put it on the frame I'm riding now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Are these complaints the overall normal experience of most or is this a case of only seeing the negative experiences posted from a small group compared to the overall user group? I would like to see a poll of positive experience vs negative experience to see how prevalent the issues are.
    as usual, only the unhappy people speak up. there are tons and tons of db inline users that have zero problems with them, so they don't bother coming onto forums and talking about them.

i think the cane creek stuff gets more scrutiny because it's supposed to be so amazing, so people are more disappointed when they break than when, say, a fox shock breaks (which of course happens all the time as well)

i put one on my trance and it's been working perfectly since i got it ~8 months ago. i'm not happy about how expensive the 100hour service is, but it seems worth it for the tuneability of this shock

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    So I am really tempted/interested in the DBinline for my Mach 4 that should be arriving in May but I am concerned with these reliability issues. How common are issues with this shock and are the causes known? Are these design issues or just quality control failure issues? Are these complaints the overall normal experience of most or is this a case of only seeing the negative experiences posted from a small group compared to the overall user group? I would like to see a poll of positive experience vs negative experience to see how prevalent the issues are.
    Like many others, I'm very happy with the DB Inline on my HD3.

Something that I did prior to ordering mine, was to contact Cane Creek and a couple of the service centers. I spoke to them about any issues that they were seeing and servicing the shock as it aged. Everyone was very forthcoming and helpful...

Tech Center | Suspension | Service Centers

May contain nuts
    How user serviceable are they? (Seal replacement and air sleeve maintenance). The early QC related failures were down to improper quad seal installation which makes me think it's easy to get it wrong...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    i'm not happy about how expensive the 100hour service is, but it seems worth it for the tuneability of this shock

So um...how much??

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zepper View Post
    So um...how much??
    so, i called cane creek directly because the place nearest me still wasn't certified to do the service for the inline (despite being listed as a CC authorized service center). right now, my only option is to send it back to cane creek for the 100 hour service, which they said was $120-150. it sounds like they don't even know yet, since they're still getting ready to do service - maybe because the shock is still pretty new, but i would have to imagine some people have already put twice the 100 service interval on this shock

the timing for 100 hours on my shock would be right at the start of lift served riding season, so i asked if i would be doing damage to the shock by going a little more than 100 hours, and they said no, it wouldn't damage it, but i may see degraded performance as the oil breaks down/gets contaminated.

take that last info with a grain of salt, as I got the feeling I was talking to one of their less knowledgeable CSR's. i would love to hear from someone else who has spoken to CC to see if the info is accurate according to other CSR's

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    How user serviceable are they? (Seal replacement and air sleeve maintenance). The early QC related failures were down to improper quad seal installation which makes me think it's easy to get it wrong...

oh, and the 100 hour service is the damper service. they also mentioned that there is a 50 hour service for the air sleeve. I asked if I could do that service myself, since i had no problem removing the air sleeve to add air can volume spacers, and they said there was a second, internal air spring that needed service too, so i couldn't do it myself.

again, this was all from the less knowledgeable sounding CSR, so i would love to hear what others have heard. it's a really good thing i love this shock so much, because the service is an expensive pain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    oh, and the 100 hour service is the damper service. they also mentioned that there is a 50 hour service for the air sleeve. I asked if I could do that service myself, since i had no problem removing the air sleeve to add air can volume spacers, and they said there was a second, internal air spring that needed service too, so i couldn't do it myself.

again, this was all from the less knowledgeable sounding CSR, so i would love to hear what others have heard. it's a really good thing i love this shock so much, because the service is an expensive pain.
    Yikes....50 hrs thats like every 5-7 weeks for me. Thats a bummer I was hoping the basic service would be more user friendly. When my fox shock goes bad I can reseal it/change the oil in about 15 minutes for about $15. Thanks for the info. Keep us updated if you talk to a better CSR.

mtbr member
    It is not only the unhappy people that are posting. Most people do not realize that their shock has issues, they just get used to it. Both of my Inline's have gone bad in less than 25 hours of riding and both in the same way. There is a step in the damping right at the sag point. I have also checked other rider's bikes as I have come across them and 90% also have the step, but the riders just thought that was the way it is supposed to be. One failure here and there I can understand, but this is very widespread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It is not only the unhappy people that are posting. Most people do not realize that their shock has issues, they just get used to it. Both of my Inline's have gone bad in less than 25 hours of riding and both in the same way. There is a step in the damping right at the sag point. I have also checked other rider's bikes as I have come across them and 90% also have the step, but the riders just thought that was the way it is supposed to be. One failure here and there I can understand, but this is very widespread.
    You make a valid point. So what else besides the "step" are the symptoms that we should be watchful of? Some have had leaks or excessive chirping from the shock, but those seems pretty straightforward signs that something is wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm contemplating an HD3. Is the inline iffy enough that I should think Fox? Save a little weight and could get it tuned at the first major service...

Maybe Monarch Plus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    normal according to CC

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Markiel View Post
    I'm contemplating an HD3. Is the inline iffy enough that I should think Fox? Save a little weight and could get it tuned at the first major service...

Maybe Monarch Plus?
    I have the HD3 with the inline and I've been out of a shock now for 3 weeks in prime riding season. I got the "step" in the damping and chirping as others described. I asked to upgrade to the DB Air CS, and they obliged for 130 bucks. They sent me the first replacement in about 3 or 4 days plus 3 days of shipping time, and it wasn't the right eyelet size for the HD3. So that one is sitting in my garage waiting on another one to be built that I ordered last Tuesday. The CSR Erich was really nice and helpful, upgraded me to 2 day shipping, but i'm getting frustrated waiting on this "build time" because they didn't send me the right shock for my bike. So I would go with a Fox or Monarch over the inline unless you want to pay the extra for the DB Air CS. The shock felt wonderful when it worked, but I've never had a rear Fox shock just break down on me so I'm not super happy right now.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    normal according to CC
    So, please elaborate. Do you think the notchiness and chirping is normal, and okay as well, or do you disagree with Cane Creek?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    mine has that 10 mm funny bit at the start with the negative spring equalisation but the shock works as it should. if it starts making a chirping noise I'd be sending it back for warranty inspection

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I sent Cane Creek a video of the loud squishing noise on rebound that my 500 mile old DB Inline has and they're sending me a replacement as soon as they get one built. I'm uncertain of the long term reliability of the shock, but they're excellent customer service has me confident that if I run into another issue they will take care of me.

mtbr member
    It's great that their CS is so good but it sucks to be sending your top of the line shock in for service/replacement constantly. If I talk myself into trying one I will definitely keep my OEM shock as a spare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Mine is going in for the same replacement now as well.

Are the Inlines that they have been sending out still doing this? Or have they solved whatever the issue was?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    My 6 month old inline is not holding air. How are you all doing the warranty? I emailed them last week and still no word, do I have to go through a LBS?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    My 6 month old inline is not holding air. How are you all doing the warranty? I emailed them last week and still no word, do I have to go through a LBS?
    I mailed then direct and after sending a photo of my serial they are going to send a new shock, took about 2 days from first mail to getting a resolution, although I am having to wiat couple of weeks to get one shipped to the uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    give them a call, their reps seem to be pretty helpful

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    mine has that 10 mm funny bit at the start with the negative spring equalisation but the shock works as it should. if it starts making a chirping noise I'd be sending it back for warranty inspection
    How does this affect setting sag? The initial centimeter is really soft, correct?
    SAG for my shock is 13 mm.

My shock did not have the notchiness that it has now and Cane Creek says it is normal. I think if you put enough air pressure to get your desired SAG that you'll have more pressure in the shock then your body weight which is not what the manual says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Add me to the club. My DB Inline is about a month old and after a pretty rough ride yesterday, things aren't right. Felt like something was loose in my rear suspension. Took it to the LBS and the guys there were knowledgable about the Inline. They said the dampening was shot. The 4 adjustment screws were doing nothing. I guess I'm calling CC tomorrow.

For those that have gotten new shocks, does CC send you a replacement first? My bike is still rideable so I'd like to keep using it until a replacement arrives. Hope they don't need my shock first!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, they sent me a shock right away and gave me a box with shipping to ship the other one back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As everyone has said, CC customer service is awesome. I talked to them today and it sounds like they're sending me a new shock. Hopefully this is a one-time deal...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I've just had the Cane Squeak chirping issue on my DB Inline that is a couple of months old. Sent it off to TF Tuned and they've said the rubber membrane (bladder) had got inverted. They've replaced my membrane with a newer version that should prevent this. Sounds like a design fault that has now been rectified. Have to rate TF Tuned on their excellent service and extremely quick turnaround times. Here's to a quiet ride this weekend!

moaaar shimz
    Yes, chirping noise comes from an underfilled shock, this should not be an issue on new-ish shocks since the factory bleed procedure has been refined. Inline shocks leaving the factory (now) will come with a pre-domed bladder, which should completely eliminate the probability of underfilling the shock.

mtbr member
    My Inline just started making the occasional chirping noise. Will be calling Cane Creek for possibly a second warranty shock.

mtbr member
    I started getting the same chirp. New shock is on it's way. CC customer service is top notch. Things happen. They make it right and I'm not without my bike for 2 weeks. That is a win in my book.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I blew out the DB Inline on the 5th ride on my '15 Specialized Enduro 29 Expert a few weeks ago. Oil spewed out of the two HS ports and covered my frame/bottom bracket in oil. The manufacture date on the bike is 06/15/2014 so the shock is one of the first ones with the reversed HSR tuning label (low serial number).

Spesh sent me a DBAir CS as a warranty replacement and CC is sending me another Inline that will be here in a couple of days. Both customer service experiences have been great but one has to stay and one has to go back.

The question is, which shock do y'all think I should go with? Another try with a new and recent Inline or go with the DBAir CS?

All bike, all the time
    All this just makes me glad I've stuck with RS. Works out the box, once tweaked stays tweaked. Almost no fiddle factor. My experience has been the more settings, the higher chance of failure. Not to say RS is perfect, cuz my Reverb acted up after 2 years. Figured it was just due for overhaul but they sent my LBS a brand new one. After 6 mos. of hard riding it's good as new. My Pike is a year old and still buttery. My DebonAir is going on 6 months and wow, I love its responsiveness for all diff kinds of riding. I have the new Fox 2016 34 on my M429c and so far it's a keeper, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed re durability.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    no issue with sag -

Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    How does this affect setting sag? The initial centimeter is really soft, correct?
    SAG for my shock is 13 mm.

My shock did not have the notchiness that it has now and Cane Creek says it is normal. I think if you put enough air pressure to get your desired SAG that you'll have more pressure in the shock then your body weight which is not what the manual says.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pktrain View Post
    I blew out the DB Inline on the 5th ride on my '15 Specialized Enduro 29 Expert a few weeks ago. Oil spewed out of the two HS ports and covered my frame/bottom bracket in oil. The manufacture date on the bike is 06/15/2014 so the shock is one of the first ones with the reversed HSR tuning label (low serial number).

Spesh sent me a DBAir CS as a warranty replacement and CC is sending me another Inline that will be here in a couple of days. Both customer service experiences have been great but one has to stay and one has to go back.

The question is, which shock do y'all think I should go with? Another try with a new and recent Inline or go with the DBAir CS?
    That's too bad. I think the in-line is probably just not the right shock for our bikes, despite the fact that it came with a fox ctd evo, which was also not an appropriate shock. There's the damping issue with the evo, but from a use-standpoint, it's just not suited to longer DHs and more aggressive riding. IMO, something with decent air and oil capacity is needed, like a Monarch +, CCDB Air, Fox Float X, Float X2, BOS Void, etc...These all give exceptional tuning capability, plus enough oil that the damping shouldn't take a hit on an extended DH or with successive hits. The E29 needs a pretty aggressive shock IMO, which doesn't have to be a coil, as there are some pretty good air shocks on the market these days.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    I am dealing with what appears to be the same issue. Canecreek has been very helpful in sending me new shocks, but at week 3 of owning the my Enduro 650b Expert I just sent in to replace my inline for the 3rd time (this will be shock #4). I have opted to upgrade to the DBair CS as the Inline just cannot live up to what the rest of the bike is designed to do, but they won't have that shock in for 3 or so weeks, so they are sending me an Inline to hold me over till then. At this point, I really just want to put a Monarch Plus on it and BE DONE WITH IT. Maybe I will get lucky and specialized will hook it up.
    2018 Specialized Stump Jumper 29er Expert
    2015 Specialized Demo 8 Alloy
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

May contain nuts
    Got the "step" after the third ride on new frame.. Sent the shock away.... Sigh, talk about a buzzkill.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I want to try this shock but I'm scared to. Several guys in the area are riding them with no issues but.....

May contain nuts
    My shock was rebuilt, and sent back overnight. Superbly quick service. They an excellent performing shock. Just hope it lasts this time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys

I asked this question on Banshee forum but in fact it's about Inline .

I'm newbie in CC community and was wondering what are the 2 holes between LSC and HSC

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 4248
Size:  40.5 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    High and low speed rebound, hsr/lsr

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    High and low speed rebound, hsr/lsr

Unfortunately seems i don't catch:

I was wondering # 3 and 4 (no screw inside)

To my eyes:
    1 HSC
    2 LSC
    5 LSR
    6 HSR

My Cane Creek DB Inline experience...-3_1.jpg

moaaar shimz
    3 is bleed port (DO NOT OPEN) and 4 is where the bleed port cover snaps in (which seems you are missing).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Pictures are worth 1000 words :-) It looks like you have your answer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What mean "bleed port cover snaps" ?

Is that something i can adjust or play with or something where i should find some screw, cover and forget ?

Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    3 is bleed port (DO NOT OPEN) and 4 is where the bleed port cover snaps in (which seems you are missing).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is a cover that covers the bleed port screw. It clips into place to hide the bleed port screw and stop people messing with that screw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rick

I'm almost calm right now as it seems that i miss cosmetical think without impact on my susp quality.

Do You know maybe if such a cover can be bought separately or maybe it's better to find some similar in garage ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    There is a cover that covers the bleed port screw. It clips into place to hide the bleed port screw and stop people messing with that screw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Call Cane Creek they have great service.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I hope I won't have any bad luck writing a good review about mine.

Mine came with my new bike -Sight carbon- and I sent it to NSDynamics in Australia through work for a complete check after I've heard mixed opinions about some reliability issues. From what I've understood a quad o-ring was fitted the wrong way on quite a few and Spesh suspension design was -or still is- too agressive for the seals of this shock.

I only weight 155 so I'm kinda average joe when it comes to suspension setup. I set up mine according to CC online charts adding only a bit of plushness to worn the o-rings of the air can. Lucky me the terrain is super rough in the south of France, in a different way than what you can find in BC, but the ART suspension of my Norco works so well with the DB-Inline.

I really like the idea of having a shock without any specific factory settings. It's great because after you have a good understanding of how the shock and the different options perform you can have such a different setup. It's like having two bikes or more in one.

I doubt I'm the only one out there pleased by his DB Inline -for now-.

mtbr member
    Well two months into my cc Inline on my HD3 and it makes a fair bit of noise and I can't slow down either lsr or hsr, adjusters have no effect.
    I contacted cc and am getting a warranty repair/replacement depending on what they can or can't do.

So I'm bummed that I have to send the shock in for repair but so far I'm fine with the customer service, crap happens. If it dies again though I'll move to an X2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ordered my CC DB Inline last November and rode it in the winter then on a trip to NZL and Australia on my 2012 TallboyC (100 mm travel). Have ridden it all summer and have been very pleased with it. It's plush and supple yet absorbs bigger hits and provides a great platform for peddling and preloading for hops and launches.

No noises or other complaints; the step at the 1 cm / sag level is normal, from all I have read and experienced. Just sent it away for service (in Canada) so will see what a year's worth of riding costs soon. :-)
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm at 11 months and 800 miles on my 2015 Spec Enduro Expert 650b. I ride it hard on very brutal trails and bike parks. I've had typical hard-use issues with many of the components including bb replacement, multiple pads & rotors, blown fork seals and rattling nearly every bolt lose.

The dB Inline was highly touted in online tester reviews before I purchased the bike and was on my list of must-have components. I am particular with all my settings and took a month of riding to truly setup this shock. It has been perfect until this morning at the trailhead when I discovered it in the "lock-down" position.

I have messages off to both my LBS and CC. My Inline is under warranty at both locations. What I'm interested to see is which option, Cane Creek or Specialized, will be able to get me riding again the quickest.

Anyone else out there go through this process recently have any sage words of advice?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringtail View Post
    I'm at 11 months and 800 miles on my 2015 Spec Enduro Expert 650b. I ride it hard on very brutal trails and bike parks. I've had typical hard-use issues with many of the components including bb replacement, multiple pads & rotors, blown fork seals and rattling nearly every bolt lose.

The dB Inline was highly touted in online tester reviews before I purchased the bike and was on my list of must-have components. I am particular with all my settings and took a month of riding to truly setup this shock. It has been perfect until this morning at the trailhead when I discovered it in the "lock-down" position.

I have messages off to both my LBS and CC. My Inline is under warranty at both locations. What I'm interested to see is which option, Cane Creek or Specialized, will be able to get me riding again the quickest.

Anyone else out there go through this process recently have any sage words of advice?
    I suspect Cane Creek will take care of you very quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    just put the 3rd inline on my enduro 650. truly incredible ride when it's functioning properly. hopefully 3rd time is a charm and will will last.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bought a used bike that came with a broken DBInline and a functioning Float EVOL. I rode the EVOL for a while and sent the Inline in for service. Just got the Inline back from service two weeks ago. SUCH a good shock, even compared to the Float EVOL. I took it up the most technical trail around my area and it just climbed like a goat the whole time. Definitely the best air shock i've ever been on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys.
    As far as i hear/read inline has some factory/zero issues.
    As newbie to inline can you write or led me to the thread where people share the symptoms of incorrect behaviour?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Guys.
    As far as i hear/read inline has some factory/zero issues.
    As newbie to inline can you write or led me to the thread where people share the symptoms of incorrect behaviour?
    Sure, its right here

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Unfortunately seems i don't catch:

I was wondering # 3 and 4 (no screw inside)

To my eyes:
    1 HSC
    2 LSC
    5 LSR
    6 HSR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3_1.jpg 
Views:	2712 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1006042
    Is that an early one or a later one? Mine does not have the holes or additional screw. Just wondering which one I have.

For what it's worth, mine has the "dead spot" as well. The suspension behaves better when I use that as the zero point. It's obviously not possible to run an additional 10mm of sag but 5mm extra helps a lot. It seems as if there's no damping, whether compression or rebound in that area. Otherwise mine has been flawless though I'm beginning to wonder about the effectiveness of the rebound damping.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Cane Creek customer support!

Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    I suspect Cane Creek will take care of you very quickly.
    You nailed it! Within 8 hours of reaching out to them I received 2 emails, a rma invoice and a phone call. My replacement shock is enroute and arriving free-of-charge one week later.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this one lasts...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone can place the video with recorded noises?
    Would be much better ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anyone can place the video with recorded noises?
    Would be much better ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Fc6vj2f5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPohUPGTHTk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
    Is that an early one or a later one? Mine does not have the holes or additional screw. Just wondering which one I have.
    Yes it does, they are just hidden to stop people messing with them and damaging the shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've made some testing

What You think? :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9rVHO49K0s

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Placek: That's normal. But if you compare it to the two I linked, those are worse than yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Agree they're worse - especially second one.
    Still such a 'breathing' is normal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Agree they're worse - especially second one.
    Still such a 'breathing' is normal?
    Yes it's the air piston passing the air transfer port and the noise is the lube on each squelching.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    All,

I'm looking for some advice....

I have what appears to be an early run of the DB inline on my Ibis HD3 which came in March of this year and I think I'm developing some problems. My question is: Does an aerated DB Inline have a very noticeable "swishing" sound (like air in fluid) at first then get quiet as the shock is cycled a few times? I did have a chirping noise early on, but that gave way to a "swishing" noise as if there's air in the damping fluid. To be clear the shock is holding air and the damping adjustments seem to be working.

Should I contact CC and see if this is a warranty issue??

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

May contain nuts
    Swishing noise is quite normal. A noticeable 'step' during compression, often accompanied with a loss of damping, is not normal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys

Im in long proces of adjusting my CC Inline. STarted with base settings from web and wanted to truerly understand theory standing behing all this shortcuts and extend it with real life examples.

So i started with SAG by turning all adjusters couter clockwise and achieved sweet spot

Now is the hard part.

First part of adjusting is important because this is 80% of my trails so rooooty, long, very smooth pedalling sessions ocassionally tracking downhill (once again downhill with small rocks, no drops or jumps).
    For above (massive amount of shakes hitting my back and trying to change my line) - should i play with HSC/HSR or LSC/LSR considering also i need to support my speed by pedalling ?

When You help me to decide with above please add how You start that
    Ex. This would be LSC/LSR and best would be to start with LSC set to 0 and play with LSR.

May contain nuts
    This is not a tuning thread

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast