mtbr member
    May 2005

MX Pro ETA vs Black Super vs Psylo SL U-Turn vs Reba SL

Looking for a fork for a hardtail for XC/trail riding. Nothing fancy. No huge drops. I'm about 200 lbs. Want max of 105mm travel. Want to spend $300 or less. I have narrowed it down to these three.

Here is what I think I know: The MX Pro is air on one side and coil on the other, the heaviest, the strongest (least flexy) and I've heard indestructable. The Black is dual coil, middle in weight, and I've read that it may be flexiest (Is this true?). The Psylo is also dual spring, also middle in weight, and has on the fly adjustable travel. The Reba is all air, the lightest and has adjustable travel, albeit not on the fly.

Some say stay away from air forks at my weight and some say don't worry about it. Light weight is cool, but not if I have to sacrifice ride quality at my weight. At 200 lbs, what's another pound anyway. Help me decide. Which one should I get and why? Have I missed a fork that meets these requirements?

Thanks

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by slaphappy
    Looking for a fork for a hardtail for XC/trail riding. Nothing fancy. No huge drops. I'm about 200 lbs. Want max of 105mm travel. Want to spend $300 or less. I have narrowed it down to these three.

Here is what I think I know: The MX Pro is air on one side and coil on the other, the heaviest, the strongest (least flexy) and I've heard indestructable. The Black is dual coil, middle in weight, and I've read that it may be flexiest (Is this true?). The Psylo is also dual spring, also middle in weight, and has on the fly adjustable travel. The Reba is all air, the lightest and has adjustable travel, albeit not on the fly.

Some say stay away from air forks at my weight and some say don't worry about it. Light weight is cool, but not if I have to sacrifice ride quality at my weight. At 200 lbs, what's another pound anyway. Help me decide. Which one should I get and why? Have I missed a fork that meets these requirements?

Thanks
    Reba SL hands down. High-end damping is right up there with Marzocchi's high-end HSCV shimmed damping and Fox's shimmed damping. Stiffest of the three for less flex in rocky sections and during hard braking. Adjustable travel to dial in handling of your frame's geometry, or just for steep hills. Most adjustable.

Mx Pro- poor SSV damping is basically a cheap ported orifice damper, which stinks on anything other than a showroom floor test. This type of damper will send compression spikes up through your arms on any sharp-edge hits. 30mm stanchions will be flexier than the Reba's 32mm, especially at your weight. The blowout 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S 120mm would be a better high-end damped fork, but doesn't meet your travel requirement.

Manitou Black Super- Not positive on Manitou's TPC-Lockout damper, as I understand that this isn't the same as the regular TPC damper of old (or TPC+). This may be a ported orifice too, like Marzocchi's SSV. 30mm stanchions will flex for you like Marz MX Pro.

Psylo- same type of ported orifice damper as above.

Buy the Reba.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    Reba SL hands down. High-end damping is right up there with Marzocchi's high-end HSCV shimmed damping and Fox's shimmed damping. Stiffest of the three for less flex in rocky sections and during hard braking. Adjustable travel to dial in handling of your frame's geometry, or just for steep hills. Most adjustable.

Mx Pro- poor SSV damping is basically a cheap ported orifice damper, which stinks on anything other than a showroom floor test. This type of damper will send compression spikes up through your arms on any sharp-edge hits. 30mm stanchions will be flexier than the Reba's 32mm, especially at your weight. The blowout 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S 120mm would be a better high-end damped fork, but doesn't meet your travel requirement.

Manitou Black Super- Not positive on Manitou's TPC-Lockout damper, as I understand that this isn't the same as the regular TPC damper of old (or TPC+). This may be a ported orifice too, like Marzocchi's SSV. 30mm stanchions will flex for you like Marz MX Pro.

Buy the Reba.

I've spent the entire day trying surfing the web trying to locate a Marzocchi Marathon S 105mm for a descent price to no avail. 460 bones was the best deal I could find. I wish I had that to spend. That was my initial first pick until it became apparent that I would not find one of the 105mm models for a descent price. Hence this post. Is it possible to modify the 120mm version to 105mm? Someone already suggested adjusting sag, but I want to permanently adjust it rather than dealing with a sloppy saggy front end. Maybe get the guts of the 105mm and put them in the 120mm fork? I suppose that would be too easy and it's probably cost prohibitive. If you know where I can get a Marathon S 105mm for less than $400 I might even be willing to spend a few more bucks than initially planned.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So you don't think I'm too heavy for the Reba air fork?

mtbr platinum member
    Is it possible to modify the 120mm version to 105mm? Someone already suggested adjusting sag, but I want to permanently adjust it rather than dealing with a sloppy saggy front end. Maybe get the guts of the 105mm and put them in the 120mm fork? I suppose that would be too easy and it's probably cost prohibitive. If you know where I can get a Marathon S 105mm for less than $400 I might even be willing to spend a few more bucks than initially planned.
    There is no way to convert the 120mm Marathon S to 105mm without buying two new cartridges in the 105mm travel (rebound and ETA). Unfortunately, Zokie charges like $100+ each, so it's not worth it. I'll sell me 105mm Marathon S to you for $300
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr platinum member
    So you don't think I'm too heavy for the Reba air fork?
    You should be fine. There are some guys on here that have posted recently about their 'longer-term' reviews and they seem positive. There were some teething problems early on with o-rings, but the reviews seem fine recently.

mtbr member

Weight and air forks

Before losing a bunch of weight, I was up to 240 lbs. and rode a SID air fork with no problems. Unless you are getting into some heavy duty technical riding and plan to leave the ground frequently, I see no reason not to go with an air fork like the Reba.

mtbr member
    You should be fine. There are some guys on here that have posted recently about their 'longer-term' reviews and they seem positive. There were some teething problems early on with o-rings, but the reviews seem fine recently.
    There was never anything wrong with the Reba O rings. Rockshox made a mistake in the air pressure charts and listed them all too high for the weight. People were putting WAY too much air into one chamber and then trying to counteract that with more air in the other chamber. The seals were letting air push into the other chamber.

Since people have been using the proper air pressures, there haven't really been any complaints about it.

I agree, the Reba is going to be the best choice. As of now, it's the best XC/AM fork for the price. The damping is also better than even Fox's or Zoke's for XC riding. Motion Control is a XC dude's wet dream for adjustability and platform. The reba is also one hell of a stiff fork because of the 32mm EA70 stanchions (stiffest/strongest alloy available) and thick crown.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    -snip-

Buy the Reba.
    Psylo SL and Race have the Pure shimmed damper, not port style.
    Not a bad fork.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    There was never anything wrong with the Reba O rings. Rockshox made a mistake in the air pressure charts and listed them all too high for the weight. People were putting WAY too much air into one chamber and then trying to counteract that with more air in the other chamber. The seals were letting air push into the other chamber.

Since people have been using the proper air pressures, there haven't really been any complaints about it.
    MH,
    I know that you are happy with your Pike, but that doesn't mean you should pretend that the Reba didn't have problems early on. Rock Shox themselves admit to the issue and replace the o-rings as a fix to the problem. The original pressures were not worlds higher than what people now use. A previous thread showed that there's little correlation between higher air pressure people were using and o-ring failures.

Here's the quote from a previous thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyg
    Here is the response I just received from Rockshox about the Reba. Perhaps this might explain the delays on GF Rigs:

Please take the fork to any shop you like and have them give us a call. We had a few of the forks with a bad o-ring that caused that problem. We will get you taken care of asap.

Thanks
    James Buddenbaum
    Dealer Service Representative
    Last edited by bikerx40; 06-02-2005 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I could not be happier with my MX Pro w/ETA. It's not expensive, works great for basic trail riding and no big hits or prolonged high speed bumps. There are more sophisticated damping systems, but it works fine for where and how I ride, and left money for other things.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The consensus seems to be for the Reba. How about a new Reba vs a used Marathon SL 2002-2004 models? Assuming the prices are equal and the used forks are in great shape, which would you drop your money on?

If you're the type that doesn't like used anything, don't bother replying. I want to know which is a better buy, not whether or not I should buy used.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    There's a take off Reba in the classifieds for $250, seems like a hellova deal, I have 2005 Zoke marathon SL 105/120 I don't need for maybe 100 more? (yes, it's there also)

Time is not a road.
    A '05 Marathon SL for $350 is a good deal. I'd scoop that up. I had a Reba and now have a Marathon. Marzocchi makes good stuff...

Chrome Toaster
    The Psylo is a single coil fork with no preload adjust and the Black Super is an air fork with a mini coil assist for the first part of the travel. 200lb riders are no big deal for any of these forks. You will likely need to swap to heavier springs on the coil shocks though since they typically come stock for avergage weight 170lb rider springs.

Buy the Reba.
    The only Psylo with ported dampers are the cheapo XC and C models. The rest use shimmed pure dampers. Manitou's TPC lockout damper is the same old shimmed damper and is better than the Pure or Fox damper. Manitou forks with ported dampers are the Fluid Flow models.