mtbr member
    Feb 2004

MX comp ETS vs Magura Asgard vs Manitou R7

Has to make decision soon , all three are 100 mm fork XC light weight forks, in $250 range close out deal. I heard enough good thing about all of them, but lack of information of the comparason between them. I am 155pd, ride long uphill for the downhill thrill (mid size rock, loose garvel, roots, single track.... ) and upgrade from my broken 02 Manitou Black Elite (which I have no complain). any comment about the turnability, plushness, durability or make will help. thanks in advance!

Unchained Freewheel
    Magura or Manitou
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

R7 Super gets my thumbs up

I am very pleasantly surprised by the performance of my 100mm R7 Super--Very stiff--awesome precise steering, light-smooth (nort a very plush fork, however if that's what you're after).

I do recommmend the Siuper over the Comp as the Progressive lockout is a dynamite feature and works wonderfully.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you want bombproof, durable plushness, go Marzocchi

"El Whatever"
    1.- Zoke - Plush on the DH, put on the ETA on the uphill and the bike climbs like a goat. Simple, reliable.

2.- Magura - Simple, reliable. Put air, adjust rebound... GO! Its damping it's in line or marginally better than the Zoke MX Comp. No travel adjustment lor lockdown... but some come with a Lock-out. I still think the ETA is better.

3.- Manitou - The TPC'ed or Snap-Valve R7 would be cool. Run away from the FFD as if it was the plague. Manitou still has to have a year with nice reliability. They're hit or miss... and I've had two of them with no problems, but feel no confident on recommending them by reading all the reports around here. Manitou CS is said to be very good... but Customer Service doesn't help when you're 40 miles into the forest, does it?
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Got the Magura today

Placed my order Sunday and get the Magura this afternoon, I wish I had chance to read the reply and consider more- I would have gotten MX Pro ETA instead. Don't make me wrong, Magura looks greta right out of the box and its lock-out knob is working smoothly (the rebound adjustment is lame tho). However I rather have travel adjustment than lock-out for my riding style. oh well guess I just have to get the best out of it, just ride!
    Thanks for all your feedback those are great input.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    Placed my order Sunday and get the Magura this afternoon, I wish I had chance to read the reply and consider more- I would have gotten MX Pro ETA instead. Don't make me wrong, Magura looks greta right out of the box and its lock-out knob is working smoothly (the rebound adjustment is lame tho). However I rather have travel adjustment than lock-out for my riding style. oh well guess I just have to get the best out of it, just ride!
    Thanks for all your feedback those are great input.
    Maggie's damper can be tuned for progressiveness via oil level and the rebound damping range can be varied with the oil weight (heavier or thinner depending if you want a slower or faster rebound respectively).

Make a search on this board for a Service Instruction Isaac Sibson posted a while ago.

You will not be disappointed with the Asgard. Maguras are very underrated forks that perform way above the getting price.

My Phaon didn't feel much inferior to the Zoke All Mountain 1 '05... and that's a lot to say, as the Phaon has smaller diameter stanchions and the design is the very same as from '02. Back in '02, the Quake CP (as it was dubbed back then), shouldn't have any competition, but Magura has always been related to brakes and not forks and it never stuck.

You will not be disappointed... especially when you just saved like 80 bucks to a MX Comp ETA... sounds little, but it's around 30% of the price the Asgard is.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

[QUOTE=

You will not be disappointed... especially when you just saved like 80 bucks to a MX Comp ETA... sounds little, but it's around 30% of the price the Asgard is.[/QUOTE]

Well put Wrap, that's very encouraging, by the way, which direction should I turn the rebound knob (+ or -) if I want the fork to be slower rebounding (softer, plusher? I guess) for my light body weight and it's got lock out anyway. thanks again.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    Well put Wrap, that's very encouraging, by the way, which direction should I turn the rebound knob (+ or -) if I want the fork to be slower rebounding (softer, plusher? I guess) for my light body weight and it's got lock out anyway. thanks again.

Clockwise = More rebound
    Counterclockwise = Less rebound

I may be wrong, but I think there's a sticker at the back face of the lowers that indicates that.

The manual is ... uh... a joke. But Isaac Sibson (send him a PM) has very clear the workings of the Asgards.
    Check my Site