Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MRP Ribbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Thanks for this. I've been debating on dropping mine to 160 on my v2 Megatrail, mainly to assist on the climbs. The holdout has been on losing almost half a degree on the head angle but the added benefits you get with a larger negative chamber might be the silver lining on that.
    One other thing I didn't realize until I changed my travel to 160 is that they include a 5mm spacer. That means you can run the fork at 165mm if you're so inclined. Bonus!

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    One other thing I didn't realize until I changed my travel to 160 is that they include a 5mm spacer. That means you can run the fork at 165mm if you're so inclined. Bonus!
    Ha, I did see the 5mm spacer but never thought of going to a mid point. I'll try 10mm and if I don't like the steepness on the downs I can always try going half way before going back to 170mm.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Yeah buddy!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Yeah buddy!
    Noah, any chance there will be a 180mm ribbon coil? I want to buy one but Iíll be buying a fork that can do a 170-180mm.
    Last edited by kdiff; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    As soon as MRP have the hope boost adapters available ill be ordering a ribbon coil. So far the stage has been absolutely faultless and really looking forward to the ribbon.

Bring it :-)

Also i have to take my hat off to MRP at the moment. The customer service, the great kit and the adapters that mean i don't have to get a new wheel sorted to run boost.

mtbr member
    So after reading several threads where people are using the MRP ramp control kits to deal with issues on their fox or rock shox forks I started reading about the Ribbon fork. After reading this entire thread and any others I could find I ended up scraping my thoughts of buying a 36 and ordered a Ribbon 170.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Awesome! Thanks

Metric shock? Nothing springs to mind...

It's been 2 months Noah.... Does something spring to mind yet?
    I'd love to have full MRP squish

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBobo View Post
    It's been 2 months Noah.... Does something spring to mind yet?
    I'd love to have full MRP squish
    Nothing yet.

Sorry, we've been busy! Check back in the spring.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm having a hard time understanding what being able to adjust the negative and positive pressures independently brings?

How does it compare to a fork with independent low speed / high speed compression adjustment?

Also in terms of stiffness is this fork more like a Lyrik or a Pike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Installed one tonight on my Megatrail...excited to try it out this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what being able to adjust the negative and positive pressures independently brings?

How does it compare to a fork with independent low speed / high speed compression adjustment?

Positive spring holds you up, negative spring pulls the fork into its travel easier. Having control of both lets you tune the fork to feel how you want it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just wanted to say thanks to the guys that spoke up in here ... For my ribbon--Stiction is the word..

Im glad i found this thread.. Ive been trying everything to get my ribbon to have less stiction and feel more fluid .. I called and got the same "try a few less lbs of air".. No matter what i do, i get a ton of stiction right off initial stroke and high speed chudder just about tears my hands off.. I thought it was just me(everyone talked about how plush the stage was).. So after doing a search for "mrp ribbon not plush"-- i found this thread.. Sounds like others have had the same problems.. 2 days ago i decided to take my old bike out for a ride and couldnt believe how much nicer my old(2014) pike was.. Plush and worked great-- was bummed i couldn't just put it on my current bike---but since its a 2014 pike,it wasnt boost-- so new wheels wont work.. ... Looks like ill have to touch base with Noah..

Wonder it was just a bad batch..

Porch.. Ill give you a Pm to see how things are going for ya..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, for the record MRP got my Ribbon fixed up great. They rebuilt my damper and air spring and (i think) re-sized my bushings a bit since i'm using the longer end of the travel range. Very, very little stiction left, seems average for an air fork.

I had a Moab trip this past weekend and I was really happy with how the fork performed. Tons of support and it tracked really well for a whole 8,000 feet of descending. Very confidence-inspiring.

The small bump is still not as good as my buddy's Lyrik, but once you get past that I think it's a far better fork. I'll probably switch to a coil once the internals are ready, just because a lot of my local riding would benefit from the better small bump and there isn't much weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    How much do you guys weigh? I'm wondering if the lack of small bump sensitivity has more to do with damping (do you run it all the way open?) or the air spring or the overall friction in the system.

Damping - would lighter weight oil help?
    Air Spring - bigger negative chamber volume could help, especially in the longer travel versions?
    Friction - probably not much you could do about that besides relying on MRP to match bushing sizes correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As an update on my Ribbons, I sent 2 of them back to MRP per Noahís request. Amazing customer service, truly. I got the forks back within a week (including shipping time), which is also damn fine service. Both Ribbons are now absolutely stellar. Perhaps some early production issues, or running production changes? I donít know.

Stiction is all but gone and very much inline with a Fox 34 FIT4 (with Ramp Control module!) that I also have. The mid-stroke harshness is gone and overall I have zero negative feedback on the Ribbon. Very happy with it.

I was out on a 4,400í ride on some of the Front Rangeís rockiest terrain a few days ago and it was stellar. I donít know what those guys did to the fork, but itís bomber now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    How much do you guys weigh? I'm wondering if the lack of small bump sensitivity has more to do with damping (do you run it all the way open?) or the air spring or the overall friction in the system.

Damping - would lighter weight oil help?
    Air Spring - bigger negative chamber volume could help, especially in the longer travel versions?
    Friction - probably not much you could do about that besides relying on MRP to match bushing sizes correctly.
    I'm 180 out of the shower (but i'm also 6'4" and ride an XL bike). I'd like to try a larger negative chamber, but it isn't really an option for these forks right now. I currently run my ramp control fully open.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah I keep hearing about guys that are 170lbs+ that run LSC fully open and ramp almost open on the Ribbon forks, which makes me think there's not enough adjustment range on the lower end for lighter riders like me. I might have to go with a Lyrik even though it's heavier for this reason.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    Yeah I keep hearing about guys that are 170lbs+ that run LSC fully open and ramp almost open on the Ribbon forks, which makes me think there's not enough adjustment range on the lower end for lighter riders like me. I might have to go with a Lyrik even though it's heavier for this reason.
    FWIW I'm 185 fully geared up. If I run the recommended pressure I can blast through the rocks way faster than the coil fork I came off of but its slightly harsher (no surprise there) and I use only 3 to 4 clicks of ramp and compression fully open. I say its harsher but its not bad by any means and I'm still have amazing control.

If I want a more comfort-style ride I've dialed the pressure back by 5 to 10psi and its nice and plush but I use 6 to 8 clicks on ramp, 2 to 3 clicks on compression and rock gardens are just not as fast as it is with the recommended pressure. This feels more like the coil fork I came off of.

I'd play with the pressure settings and see what you like best. Just because there's a knob doesn't mean you necessarily need to have it turned up .

Also FWIW I personally prefer the higher pressure/barely any ramp 99% of the time over less pressure/more ramp and compression. It's just too much fun to smash through gnar. The spring fine tuning and ease of switching the rate is definitely keeping me on air shocks at the moment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any new long term reviews? Plushness? I'm building up a new Transition Patrol and had my mind set on a Lyrik for it's plush ride. The other day I was talking to a guy that rides the Ribbon, which led me here to check it out.

First question, ribbon specs 44mm offset. RS/Fox are 42, and Transition specs the patrol as 42. What does 44mm offset do? Would this be a problem for this bike?

After reading through this whole thread, I had my mind made up on a Ribbon... Until posts about a month ago regarding stiction and harshness. Was there an issue that was taken care of on new builds? It seems most here are lightweights and low travel. I guess I'm a clyde at 205lbs, want 170mm travel. Will this fork feel better with a heavier rider, long travel?

90% of the time I ride an hour a day at the local bike park. (Downhill and jump lines). But a couple times a year at lift access parks, and a local 18 mile down hill ride, my hands and arms go numb from small bump/washboard harshness. I am now seriously considering a ribbon, but a little concerned on a harsh ride. I really want to try ramp control vs tokens, so the ribbon makes sense to me. Even if I end up with a Lyrik, I would like to give ramp control a try. Sounds better than messing with tokens. Initial $ of the Ribbon is way less than a new Lyrik + ramp control.

Thoughts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    get ribbon coil. It should be good for ur hands.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MX4U View Post
    Any new long term reviews?
    Pinkbike
    Singletrack

First question, ribbon specs 44mm offset. RS/Fox are 42, and Transition specs the patrol as 42. What does 44mm offset do? Would this be a problem for this bike?
    In short, no. I seriously doubt anyone would notice a 2mm difference in offset. FWIW, Fox is also 44, not 42mm.

There's quite a bit of industry debate about long vs. short offset, but we're not talking about either of those here. Standard 27.5" fork offset has ranged from the low to mid 40s for the last five or so years.

After reading through this whole thread, I had my mind made up on a Ribbon... Until posts about a month ago regarding stiction and harshness. Was there an issue that was taken care of on new builds? It seems most here are lightweights and low travel. I guess I'm a clyde at 205lbs, want 170mm travel. Will this fork feel better with a heavier rider, long travel?
    I think if you read through the posts, we've done our best to take care of everyone who was experiencing those issues - and they all are reporting much improved performance since getting their forks back. In terms of what we've changed from a production standpoint, we've made a number of small changes to parts and processes that has yielded significantly lower average stiction numbers. We've also revised down our dyno-cutoff for baseline stiction - every fork is tested for function and performance before it goes out the door. That's not new, but the targets are tighter and better now.

But, perhaps you should consider the coil model if you're riding bike park frequently. There's simply no getting around the fact that coil performs better than air in those conditions. It's the prolonged, high-speed, chattery stuff where coil takes the cake. In my mind, that's because there are so many fewer seals moving at turnaround (compression to rebound) - it's more freely moving under those micro hits, and those add up.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post

I'm also interested in knowing this.

Noah - can you shed any light? Very keen on a 29/160 Ribbon Coil, but I've always ridden either 36s or Lyriks and don't want to go backwards in steering precision.

Other anecdotal experiences also welcome.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Noah,

where can I find the Ribbon service manual for the damper? I didnít see it on the website.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234