krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Movement of the shock on it's mounting points

Hi.

Yesterday I finally got my new Transition Covert frame.

When I was building up the bike I noticed that when I lifted up the back wheel something was making a quiet 'click' sound. The sound was comming from the rear shock. It can move up and down (not side to side) on the top mounting point, the one on the down tube. The movement is very slight but it is noticeable. Is that normal?

mtbr member
    No. It should not move. Take it off and do some measuring would be your best bet.

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I thought so. I don't know what I can do about this. I took off the shock and the hole is slightely bigger then the 'bolt'. I can wiggle it slightely when it's in the shock. That's a problem with the shock then, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krt View Post
    I thought so. I don't know what I can do about this. I took off the shock and the hole is slightely bigger then the 'bolt'. I can wiggle it slightely when it's in the shock. That's a problem with the shock then, isn't it?
    When you tighten the bolt it should "sandwich" the the frame's mounting tabs to the shock - larger hole size won't matter. Frame manufactures sometimes use proprietary bolts to mount their shocks could be missing a washer or ??? You could try a regular 8mm x ? and see if it tightens everything up. Really its a new frame I'd be making a call to Transition Bikes.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I think krt's referring to slop in the upper shock bushing rather than the bike frame?
    If that's the case, the shock bushing is easily acquired from various internet bike stores, & easily replaceable with a couple sockets.
    I picked up one of mtberforlif'es tool a while back that comes w/a handful of bushings, works great, & you get some bushings as well...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like a worn out AKA blown out bushing. When I've had a blown bushing on a shock, it makes that slight click when I lift the end of the bike. Typically a cheap fix.

Not sure what you would base any measurement taking off of. Take it to a shop and they would probably confirm that it is the bushing.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yesterday I finally got my new Transition Covert frame.

One would assume if a shock were included the new reducers would be fine. If there is enough play in used shock reducers, to cause movement, they would fall right out of the shock when removed.

Give it a crank
    I had the exact same thing and with new lower shock mounts nothing changed. I looked at the bolt for wear and can't see anything that indicates it has worn down.

The small gap between the bolt and reducers appears to be by design, maybe because it's a pivot point for the suspension which needs to allow frictionless rotation. If it where a perfect fit it would likely turn into one of those loved squeaky points on an FS frame.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    He says "the bolt wiggles in the shock". bushings generally do not fall outa shocks. They wear at the rotation point between the bolt & the inner side of the bushing.
    &, yeah, you'd think new parts shouldn't be a poor fit??

mtbr member
    Brand new or new to you?

It's your upper or lower DU bushing, most likely. Take your shock off, measure the ID, OD and length of the pieces pressed into your upper and lower shock mounts and order some steel replacements (get a few). You might need an arbor press to get them back in. If the bushings fall out of the shock, you'll know they were rocking. It may be the ID causing the problem.

Harbor freight has cheap presses...

mk

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The problem was that I hadn't tightened the bolts enough. I retightened them and the shock doesn't move anymore. I'll get a torque wrench and tighten the bolts to the specified torque in a couple of days.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Yeah, Same thing happens to me occasionally, I'm an under-tightener, parts get loose, especially the shock.I assume that too tight bolts might reduce suspension action. Proper torque is the answer!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by krt View Post
    Hi.

Yesterday I finally got my new Transition Covert frame.

When I was building up the bike I noticed that when I lifted up the back wheel something was making a quiet 'click' sound. The sound was comming from the rear shock. It can move up and down (not side to side) on the top mounting point, the one on the down tube. The movement is very slight but it is noticeable. Is that normal?
    I would put new DU/DP4 Bushings in the shock and get new RS 3-Piece reducers.