mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Motul 2.5 for Lyrik?

Hi guys,

I have Lyrik 08.
    Bought Motul oil 15w to the lower legs and 2.5w to the upper legs.

Will that work?
    Does it mean using 2.5 instead of 5w...that the fork will be more plush?

g3h6o3
    I use Motul 2.5 (Very Light) in my Reba for the damper. Even if it's a 2.5wt it's viscosity is very close to the RS 5wt oil so they are a very good fit.

The fork will not be softer when using the Motul, you get pretty much the same feel.
    I'm not sure about the Motul 15wt but since it's only for lubrication it shouldn't affect fork feel.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

EDR
    If RS is now using Maxima 5W oil in the damper for that fork then the Motul Very Light is the same exact cSt and should be fine direct replacement.

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/f...ion%20oils.pdf

mtbr member

Lower leg oil

Has anyone tried lighter weight oil in the lowers? I have a Lyrik DH that I am thinking of running 5wt. Finish line or 7wt fox oil in the lowers. Just switched from a TALAS 36 that I used to run the 5wt in the lowers on, it worked quite well in the fox.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Has anyone tried lighter weight oil in the lowers? I have a Lyrik DH that I am thinking of running 5wt. Finish line or 7wt fox oil in the lowers. Just switched from a TALAS 36 that I used to run the 5wt in the lowers on, it worked quite well in the fox.
    The lower oil is just for bushing lubrication. A lighter oil will not coat as well as a heavier oil. Does it matter? IDK. I've used Red Line yellow in my Lyrik lowers before. It didn't explode or anything. Long term though, I'd use a heavier oil. These forks are just too damn expensive to skimp on buying a $8 bottle of oil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    The lower oil is just for bushing lubrication. A lighter oil will not coat as well as a heavier oil. Does it matter? IDK. I've used Red Line yellow in my Lyrik lowers before. It didn't explode or anything. Long term though, I'd use a heavier oil. These forks are just too damn expensive to skimp on buying a $8 bottle of oil.

Yeah, I realize its basically just to Lube the Bushings but I found with the 36 that a lighter oil sped the action of the fork up a bit. It also seemed a bit more sensitive overall. I read something in MBA a while back that DH pros would put 5wt in the lowers of their Boxxers to get the same result, a slightly more active fork.

Anyway, guess I will just try it. I change the oil in the lowers about every 3 months as it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    I use Motul 2.5 (Very Light) in my Reba for the damper. Even if it's a 2.5wt it's viscosity is very close to the RS 5wt oil so they are a very good fit.

The fork will not be softer when using the Motul, you get pretty much the same feel.
    I'm not sure about the Motul 15wt but since it's only for lubrication it shouldn't affect fork feel.
    Thanks man, did the oil change to 2.5.
    Was my first fork service I did by myself.
    Feels great...the fork is plush as ever.

g3h6o3
    You're welcome
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.