mtbr member
    Apr 2010

more precise shock pump?

i have a relatively cheap shock pump, i think it works just fine but it would be nice if i could see the PSI in smaller increments. It goes up to 400 psi but i really only use it from about 120-130 (fox rp2). Making adjustments in a 10-15 psi range is somewhat guesswork at that scale. Its marked at every 10.

I thought a 10 psi change was fairly noticeable but am i just getting too picky?

Class Clown
    Is it like this? (Rebranded Giyo) I guess I see what you mean I can go in between the 10 mark but can't choose exactly say, 97psi although I'm sure I could come close. One thing I like about this pump is the release valve only let's out a tiny bit of air with each press so I can fine tune it pretty well. Would be interested in seeing what other people use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more precise shock pump?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    its made by a company called avenir

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  14.3 KB

I guess im just surprised for as precise and detailed most other elements of the bike are. 140 vs 150mm suspension, chainstay lengths, weight in grams, etc, etc. And here we are using comparatively imprecise gauges to tune the thing. And people love to say how getting your suspension *dialed* will make a huge difference.

even the fox shock pump reads in 10 psi increments.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    They do make pumps with gauges with a smaller range, so you can see the increments better. I think mine goes to 300 psi, and is marked every 5 psi, so I can estimate the pressure within about +/- 1 psi of where I think it is, and that is fine for pressures in the ranges I deal with (130-170)

OTOH, when I had a low pressure fork that ran pressure in the 30's, I needed a gauge with a much lower range.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Save Jesus
    Buy a cheap shock pump where you can unscrew the gauge and add your own.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    I have a Planet Bike ShockMate from REI--pretty basic for a pump. It's in 10 psi increments too but I've found that measuring my sag with a ruler is the only precise way. The gauge on mine exists only to get me in the same ballpark each time. I then adjust based on measuring with the ruler.