mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Monarch xx lockout on scalpel

A few of us that have the 2013 scalpel 1 29er have noticed not much difference when the xloc is on or off on the rear monarch xx. The lefty is very firm when xloc is on but the rear doesn't seem to lock out. I've read reviews on the shock saying how it makes a bike feel like a hardtail but something with the setup on the scalpel seems off. I've tried different pressures/sag. Haven't bled the line yet as it is stock but will do this as soon as I get a bleed kit. Figured since other owners noticed the same thing it may have to do with he factory tune of the shock.
    Any suggestions to get it to " lock out" better?
    Thanks,
    Nort & other scalpel owners

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    A few of us that have the 2013 scalpel 1 29er have noticed not much difference when the xloc is on or off on the rear monarch xx. The lefty is very firm when xloc is on but the rear doesn't seem to lock out. I've read reviews on the shock saying how it makes a bike feel like a hardtail but something with the setup on the scalpel seems off. I've tried different pressures/sag. Haven't bled the line yet as it is stock but will do this as soon as I get a bleed kit. Figured since other owners noticed the same thing it may have to do with he factory tune of the shock.
    Any suggestions to get it to " lock out" better?
    Thanks,
    Nort & other scalpel owners
    I was just about to order the monarch xx for my scalpel as well and just saw this post. So far no one else has posted. Are there any updates? I know that rock shox just released a newer version of the monarch xx.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ended up warrantying my xx shock, the new one is mint! Locks out like the Lefty. Really like it now.