mtbr member
    May 2004

Monarch Plus RC3 or Vivid Air

So I have the opportunity to purchase a monarch plus rc3 or a vivid air for my Dixon. I am hoping to be able to parking lot test them before I buy, depending on time and seller patience. Can anyone comment on their experience between the two if possible.

I am looking for downhill performance mainly. Sure I would like some pedalling platform if I'm riding on the road but the Dixon does not have much pedal bob when sitting and pedalling. If all I need to do is crank the compression damping on the vivid for the ride up the road I could live with that. I am never flicking my propedal on and off. My main thinking for considering the vivid is the ending travel rebound adjust. I have never had that option, is this a huge benefit? On the monarch I would be able to adjust the air can volume with the rings or a smaller air can, the vivid does not have that option AFAIK. Currently I run a volume reducer on the RP23, not because it bottoms, it just feels more supportive.

Outcast
    I have had both shocks on the same bike. Hands down, the vivid air R2c. MUCH better dh performance, and MUCH better all around performance, You do not feel a need to flick a lever to enhance the climbing, or A.M. performance like you might feel the need to do with the monarch plus. Flicking hat lever never did much for me.
    No contest. The vivid is pretty heavy, almost as much as a coil shock, but you will not care too much after riding it. VIVID wins.