mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Monarch Plus oil leaking - what's normal

I have a new Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 with about 100 miles on it now. Since day one it's put out more oil than I remember from anything other than an old RP23 I had beat the hell out of.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm trying to decide whether it's something I can ignore and write off as "normal", if I should do an Air Can dust wiper service and write it off as rubber parts drying up en route from China, or if I should send it back to Rockshox and let them know this is crap?

FWIW, the shock FEELS amazing! It's truly changed the Rocky Mtn Altitude I put it on. Honestly rides like an entirely different bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here's the Monarch Plus after one ride. Note sludge buildup on travel indicator ring
    Monarch Plus oil leaking - what's normal-image.jpg

Here's another shock from the same ride, same day. Totally clean.
    Monarch Plus oil leaking - what's normal-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	902665

mtbr member
    If the shock is brand new, then sometimes you can expect to have a bit of excess oil on the shaft (although the amount can vary between shocks) from manufacturing. Give it a wipe down and ride it some more and it should be fine.
    If the shock was feeling terrible or not functioning correctly then I'd want to check it, but you said it's feeling good, so don't think you will have an issue with it.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    The big indicator that the seals are leaking is air loss throughout a ride.

mtbr member
    Clean Fox rear shock means there's no more internal lube, usually. Monarch Plus doesn't use oil inside, just grease, if memory serves.

My general rule for rear shocks defies logic. If you have a clean damper shaft, you are probably due to open the rear shock up and add some Float fluid or clean/change the internal seals.

What you have isn't 'leaking', it's just some lube working its way out, but not leaking. If your rear shock is leaking oil, you'll notice a pronounced change in the way the shock feels and/or noise. Cavitation in the damper is not subtle. And the amount of oil will be WAY more than what you see on that travel indicator.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Monarch's use oil also. I think RS added it a year or two ago, although its something ridiculously small like 0.2cc. I've always put oil in them.

mtbr member
    I use a few cc's too, even though the manual doesn't call for it.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks all. This is extremely helpful stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I noticed the same thing as the OP on my newly-serviced Monarch plus RC3 (bought second-hand) and was told that it was normal.

I have a question for Monarch owners regarding routine air can and dust wiper maintenance.

1. Do you just remove all the air through the schrader valve, unscrew the air can, clean, re-grease, add some oil and re-assemble?

2. I don't have the oil and grease that RS mention in their service manual but I do have some Motorex fork oil (5 and 15W) and slick honey grease, will these suffice?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mr. Brown, that's pretty much it man. I don't neccessarily replaces seals every 30hrs on my own stuff, but I do clean/lube frequently. 15w will work, but I'd go to the local store and get the heaviest gear lube they have. Slick honey is perfect, just don't get too crazy with it because you don't want it building up in the negative chamber and reducing volume.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks ktm! How much oil do you usually put in? I think I have the 2012 model. We have an official service center in my country but i have to ship the shock to them and the turn around time is a few weeks to more than a month so i'd like to do routine maintenance of the shock myself next time.