mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Monarch 3.3 - can i tune compression shims?

I got a 2009 nomad 2 that came with Monarch 3.3. I've never really used the shock until recently. I noticed right away how much easier it is to climb with but the ride quality on the DH is really crappy especially on the fast small hits. I see a tune sticker on the shock that said "E" and sure enough when I saw that rockshox leverage ratio chart thats floating around in this forum, E is one of the firm tunes and looks like my nomad should have the B tune.

I read about the new Monarchs that can be tuned by swapping tuning shim stacks. I'm wondering if I can use the same technique to my older Monarch (if it even have shims, if it does maybe I could take some compression shims out). The internals seem to be identical though looking at the diagrams on the 2 shocks. Anybody got an idea? Thanks.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Rider74 View Post
    I got a 2009 nomad 2 that came with Monarch 3.3. I've never really used the shock until recently. I noticed right away how much easier it is to climb with but the ride quality on the DH is really crappy especially on the fast small hits. I see a tune sticker on the shock that said "E" and sure enough when I saw that rockshox leverage ratio chart thats floating around in this forum, E is one of the firm tunes and looks like my nomad should have the B tune.

I read about the new Monarchs that can be tuned by swapping tuning shim stacks. I'm wondering if I can use the same technique to my older Monarch (if it even have shims, if it does maybe I could take some compression shims out). The internals seem to be identical though looking at the diagrams on the 2 shocks. Anybody got an idea? Thanks.
    The new and old monarchs can be tuned the same way. You just need the IFP tool and a new plastic poppet for the bleed valve. You will also need new oil. There are a few threads on the subject it you do a search.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot, maybe. I ended up ordering the RC3 mid tune. It should be good for my nomad.