mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mixed travel FS bike??

If I have a FS bike that is set up for 120mm travel front and back how would putting a better but only 100mm travel fork on the front of it?

I have a 100mm reba on my old hard tail and was thinking of putting it on my FS bike that has a 120mm SR suntour Radion. I like how the FS bike handles but I don't really like the SR fork

mtbr member
    I've done that before, usually a 120mm fork is an XC/light trail fork as would be the Reba, should be no safety problem. It's really about axle to crown height rather than travel. I've found that other than making the bike a bit less slack and lowering your position over the front it's OK but you can feel the difference. I'd usually try to make up for some of the loss of height with a higher rise bar, stem or stack height. Putting the Reba on is a safe short term solution, but a new 120mm travel fork would be an ideal long term solution.

mtbr member
    Lots (maybe all?) rebas could be extended out to 115mm.

Most bikes built around 120mm forks are pretty steep to begin with, with low bottom brackets. Going to a 100 would make it even steeper, twitchier, and more likely to get pedal strikes with an even lower bb. Most people go the other way to a longer travel 130-140mm fork on bikes like that.

It should ride fine at 115mm if your reba goes that way. I dont think id want a 100mm fork on something designed for 120 unless all your descents are very very mild.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the deal is, i have a 6inch bike 2010 GT force 2.0, and i can get a supper deal on a 2011 sensor 4.0. (5 inch), The sensor has low grade components but i want to up grade my force to 2 X 10 or 1 X 10 and if i do that i can dump all my x9 3 X 9 on the sensor but i really do not want to drop 500+ bucks on a new fork... i would like to set up the force for all mountain and ski park trips and the sensor for trail/XC (I live in nebraska). I have that reba mounted on a 1998 Klein Pulse Pro ( i replace the OME Judy XC) but i do not really see me riding the Klein much any more so the reba is just sitting there going to waist!!
    Last edited by Fractured pixel; 05-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    would i be better off just leaving the SR Suntour Radion on it for now?