mtbr member

New question here. Minute Pro 140mm basic questions

I am 180 lbs and got a 140 Minute Pro 2012, I have never had such a nice fork. I am super impressed and also wanted to thank those who praised this fork as when I researched forks I had not even known about it. Out of the box it worked great, literally bolted on and rode with what air was in it. However, I have a couple questions, tried searching w/o success after spending a lot of time reading about shim stacks and what not

I find the fork with somewhere just over 100lbs air has correct sag, but only uses about 2/3 of the travel as the spring rate ramps up quickly. How can that be adjusted?
    As I understand what folks are saying about how its constructed, there is a steel spring that is used for about 1/2 the travel and then the air takes over. Seems like I could use more air volume for more linear spring rate. Or a firmer steel spring.

* That was the pressure in the fork out of the box. I tried checking pressure with a gauge that was insufficient range, then in a hurry to get to a ride I tried burping the air valve and all of it came out so not sure what it was. I added air up to about 90 psi and it made it sag more - in fact a guy at the trail head offered me a pump as he thought it was too much. I tried it like that and worked fine tightened up the steering, but will add psi for bit less sag. I read in manual its max is 120psi. I would not think a guy my size would be near the max.

Is there a way to decrease travel? Its not a big deal but I probably should have gotten a bit shorter travel to maintain the tighter steering but it was not made in a 130 I wanted. As I get into it more I am thinking of planning some shim changes but its totally fine for now.

mtbr member
    I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to answer this question but I do know you can order firmer springs.

mtbr member
    Sag is set via a spring. I believe there is soft, medium, firm, and extra firm. It should show on Manitou's site what spring you need for a given rider weight, and most forks ship with medium. Ride quality will royally suck if you deviate from the recommended air pressure on the left fork leg because you have an overly soft spring.

It is very simple to change the preload spring-- unscrew the cap and pull the spring out, drop in new one

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post

I find the fork with somewhere just over 100lbs air has correct sag, but only uses about 2/3 of the travel as the spring rate ramps up quickly. How can that be adjusted?

Is there a way to decrease travel?
    1) deflate the fork, take the left cap off, dump out some of the oil or grease.

2) You have to take the fork apart. Inside the left leg, there is an aluminum push rod. Cut off the end of that and rethread it, or buy a shorter one from Manitou.

mtbr member
    True, but his travel is short because he's using more air than he should, due to the incorrect sag spring. I wouldn't do that just yet.