mtbr member

Minute 29er, putting it back together, help

I've officially sort of screwed up here. I am putting the spring side of my Minute 29er fork back together. My innards do not match any of the diagrams in the service guide. I failed to take good notes when tearing down the fork. (Yes, I am kicking myself right about now).

Following is a photo showing how I believe everything should line up. Am I correct?

What about the wee little washer all by itself in the photo? I have no idea where that one goes. The service manual doesn't show it. Anyone know where that one goes?

Minute 29er, putting it back together, help-minutespringside.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You'll want to take the plastic piece that's in the bottom left corner of the photo and put it at the top of the stack of black spacers and bottom out bumper on the compression rod (below the metal plate on the compression rod) with the threads pointing up.

As to the washer, is it the crush washer for the footnut?
    Last edited by half_man_half_scab; 04-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you know it's not the crush washer, then my guess is it is nestled on top of the aforementioned clearish white plastic piece and below the metal plate at the top of the compression rod.

mtbr member
    Thanks half. I've got it all sorted but for that one washer. It is rubber, and can be stretched to fit on that rod. Not immediately sure what purpose that would serve, so I'm leaving it out for now.

Would rubber be used as a crush washer? There is an o-ring around the foot-bolt already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's not the crush washer then, go with option number two.

mtbr member
    You think stretch it over that rod?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My guess is that it softens the blow from the plate to the plastic piece when the fork tops out on rebound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    You think stretch it over that rod?
    Yes, below the metal plate on the compression rod and on top of the clearish plastic piece (which I think is called the end cap).

mtbr member
    Well, forget that washer for now. I've already buttoned up the lowers.

Just need to put 87mm of oil into the damper tube. But the service manual doesn't specify the weight to use. So I'm off to google in hopes of sorting that out.

mtbr member
    Found it. 5wt. Going w/that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My experience with Manitou forks is that they are a little underdamped, and if you weigh more than 165lbs, 7.5 or 10w may be appropriate. It will slow down the oil's flow through the piston, the more viscous it is. If you find that the fork rebounds harshly, I recommend changing to a heavier weight first.

mtbr member
    Thanks Half. I'll remember that about the weight. All I had handy were 2.5 and 5. I went with 5, and now I know how to change it if I'm not liking how the fork performs. In fact, that's a huge bonus -- knowing how to change the oil. I consider it well worth this initial investment in time.

Everything is back together. All the parts made perfect sense once I got them lined up correctly. I even saw how to toss in a spacer to reduce travel to 100mm. We'll see how that works out. I can always pull the spacer if for some reason performance is impacted, but from just testing the fork by hand all seems good.

The mystery washer remains, well, a mystery.

Edit: Here is a link to the thread that helped me sort out the travel reduction: 08 Manitou Minute travel reduction