zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Minute 1:00 spring side seal of semi-bath oil

Has anyone come up with a solution to seal off the semi-bath from the spring chamber?

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Has anyone come up with a solution to seal off the semi-bath from the spring chamber?
    If I remember right, Chris2fur and some of us thought you could use the plastic thread in cap from the damper side that the piston rod slides through (dont know name). It has an o ring in it to seal in the damping fluid. It should fit in the spring side leg as well and seal out the semi bath. Which turns to jelly when mixed with the grease from the spring stack.
    Now if only someone could provide part #'s and a test. Last time I called manitou I ended up leaving a msg and 24 hrs later they called me back. I guess thats pretty good turnaround time in this business.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I thought of that as well. The problem however, is that the compression rod spring has to engage a pin in the end cap. Modifiing the end cap on the damper side is not possible that I can see as it is not deep enough to accomodate the pin for the compression rod spring (CRS). I also played with inserting a flat rubber seal inside the end cap with the CRS holding it down however I couldnt get the CRS to engage the pin as long as the seal was in there taking up space. Frustrating!! Dont know why Answer didnt put an o-ring in it like on the damper side.
    Last edited by zon; 09-30-2005 at 09:28 AM.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    I thought of that as well. The problem however, is that the compression rod spring has to engage a pin in the end cap. Modifiing the end cap on the damper side is not possible that I can see as it is not deep enough to accomodate the pin for the compression rod spring (CRS). I also played with inserting a flat rubber seal inside the end cap with the CRS holding it down however I couldnt get the CRS to engage the pin as long as the seal was in there taking up space. Frustrating!! Dont know why Answer didnt put an o-ring in it like on the damper side.
    Been there, tried that. There's VERY little room to play with. If you REALLY wanted a good solution you'd have to machine something, even then it's very difficult because there's not enough room to put in an o-ring.

I'd give you more info on my speculations and findings, but I think it would be in vain. Point is that unless you're going to fabricate a new lower rod for the spring side along with an end cap a solution won't be easily possilbe. It's easier to just inspect the fork as per Manitou's recommended interval.

Chris (at Enduro... great guy, eh?!?!) and I shot back and forth with e-mails about this when it was brought up earlier this year, but really didn't see a big need to do anything about it. His fix for greasing only the upper half of the spring seems to work fine (barring a tear-down/inspection, but I trust him). Operationally everything is sound.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.