mtbr member

Measuring suspension sag vs. shock sag

Whilst perusing the net last night, I came across this blog post on the banshee site:

Born on the Shore - The Banshee Bikes Blog: KS link bike sag charts

I have always set the sag % to the o-ring and tweaked from there. Does anyone use charts like this for other bikes?

Waiting for peace
    So.... your question is... ??

mtbr member
    Do you measure sag as shaft travel or suspension travel? Since (at least banshee thinks) the relationship is not linear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Do you measure sag as shaft travel or suspension travel? Since (at least banshee thinks) the relationship is not linear.
    I didn't see that they measured suspension travel from the article.

: {QUOTE} Remember to be constant when setting the sag. Next to a wall for balance get into riding position fully kitted up (pads, backpack with contents, helmet etc etc) and carefully make sure not to overcompress the suspension from this position as you get off. Then once off the bike, measure the gap between the o-ring and the shock seal to get shock compression at sag point.

Waiting for peace
    I have always measured suspension sag using the shock travel indicator as the measurement of the percentage of total suspension travel... i.e: 0.25" of 2.875" on a 5" travel bike = 22% of the total travel kind of thing... Unless I have a chart of shock sag, sag-o-meter, sag-o-tron or something like a set-up guide...

The reason for that is because shock travel-to-suspension travel is almost never linear.... 2.50" of shock travel can give you a rising rate, falling rate, straight rate or all three rates on the same bike (VP10, A-Line, Maverick) just like any other shock length.... A different length shock will, obviously, give you more travel on the bike therefore the real sag cannot be the same measurement as the previous shock even though the indicated sag of the shock is the same.

Short answer: suspension travel through shock slider travel indicator as a total of suspension travel

mtbr member
    From the post: Below you will find simple graphs that outline how shock compression equates to suspension sag within recommended range.

The graphs equate the non-linear frame travel to the shock travel. You still would use the o-ring to set the sag, but you wouldn't take the number at face value. You would reference the chart to see how much suspension travel you are at for the given shock travel.

mtbr member
    this makes perfect sense if anyone thinks about it for a few seconds. banshee posted this last year as well but they seem to be the only manufacturer who is concerned with it or recommend it. depending on your bike's leverage ratio and how much it changes throughout its travel it could be a minuscule difference or enough to really notice on the trail.

i asked one of the techs at PUSH his thoughts on it last year when i first read the banshee post and he said he'd never really heard of anyone doing it but would bring it up at the next company meeting to see what others there thought. maybe darren will chime in...