Icebiker

McGuyver move: Cost me all of $2.00 and 90 minutes

I've had my Ventana El Rey for a few years now. Have been using the RP23 lever more frequently to open 'er up on descents, and firm 'er back up for the climbs. Got a little tired of reaching down all the time, so got together with my 12 year old (mechanically inclined) son to figure out a solution. I had seen a solution on MTBR before that used the angled Schrader valve as a support for a cable/spring setup. Problem is my RP23 has a Schrader valve that's 90 degrees/perpendicular to the lever. So.....

I had a friction thumbshifter from Nashbar I picked up for $0.99 a while ago. We rifled through my bin of old cyclometer parts, frame pump holsters, barrel adjusters and miscellaneous plastic. We located 2 springs (one extension, one compression), and (from Home Depot), picked up an aluminum 1/16" cable ferrule/stop set (enables you to create an "eye loop" at the end of the cable). Removed the lever, drilled a hole at the bottom and inserted a 3/4" bolt. Joined a Cateye cyclometer mounting bracket and a Zefal frame pump bracket and wrapped it snug around the shock body using the "worm screws" they came with. installed a barrel adjuster in the Cateye mounting hole. Installed a different Cateye cyclometer clamp on the shock's spacer to anchor the extension spring. Attached the cable and springs to the lever bolt. Hopefully the pics show how it all came together.

When you pull the cable, lever moves to "open" position. When you release it, the extension spring and compression spring work in concert to return the lever to "platform". My son was a big source of ideas for this...nothing like a 12 year old to think outside the box! Hope this helps others with ideas for a solution (I've seen a few posts looking for something like this).

mtbr member
    Awesome! +1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have any larger pics? Does look sweet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

outstanding!

now buy that kid a $5000 bike of his choice!
    Last edited by nhodge; 02-03-2010 at 01:49 AM.
    breezy shade

Icebiker
    thanks, I'll try to post up larger pics. They are high-res, but flickr downsizes them. If you want I can email them to anyone who wants them, along with close ups of the parts involved. just PM me with your email if so.

Try getting them via these links..maybe you can then see them in larger format...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/icebiker/4326213571/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/icebiker/4326213543/

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    That is very clever! I'm actually really surprised that Fox has made a rear shock that has remote lock out capability.

ADIDAB
    Clever idea there Bugeye... I like it!

PS. Like the red V70R too...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Maybe you should now try to deal with the look - what about make your own trigger?
    Otherwise good idea
    Personal, little freaky story-photo-blog: ondrakozubek.webnode.cz

Bite Me.
    Wow - was it really that annoying to flip the lever manually?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Icebiker
    'twas more of an issue taking one hand off the h-bar when I needed it most. Most of my riding is very technical XC (no drops, but lots of rock slabs, rock gardens, short/steep ups/downs). Removing one hand to flip the lever is certainly do-able, but I wanted something a bit more straightforward.

"El Whatever"
    Awesome!!!!
    Check my Site

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    hmmmm....seems like if a fella was to run 1X9, he could run the apparatus with a shifter located on the left-hand side of the bar.

Sweet design indeed Bugeye! might have share this with my buddies who ride fullie. (And try it myself when I get mine)

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye
    'twas more of an issue taking one hand off the h-bar when I needed it most. Most of my riding is very technical XC (no drops, but lots of rock slabs, rock gardens, short/steep ups/downs). Removing one hand to flip the lever is certainly do-able, but I wanted something a bit more straightforward.
    I ride similar terrain (Western CO), but tend to just keep the PP off on my RP23 unless I'm doing an extended road climb - if you use the lever a lot I can see the utility.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

eBiker
    Nice!

I can see that being very handy for racing!

Very cool to bring your 12 year old in on it too!

P