mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Marzocchi z3 light rebuild worth it?

The z3 on my old stumpjumper has gone belly up. Its leaking oil, makes kind of a clunk when compressed then sounds like its sucking air when it comes back up. Just wondering if it might be rebuildable and if so is it even worth it?

If its not worth rebuilding, what other forks are available that accept vbrakes, have similar travel (65mm I think), and have decent performance? Its used for commuting and XC stuff and I've got wheel sets for each so I don't really want upgrade to a disc only fork if I don't have to. I was satisfied with the fork before but I don't know if there's something available that would be much better for fairly cheap. This is not my primary bike so I don't want to spend a bunch to upgrade it unnecessarily.

Life Is Short
    this may be a good new alternative:

Marzocchi 22LO 120mm Bicycle Fork 7 1/2" Steerer Lock-out & Preload Adjust OE | eBay

you will need the brake bosses, sold at jensonusa, etc. Great for xc riding and cheap
    Note: the steer tube is only 7.5" long if thats too short, then forget it

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm in the middle of a rebuild on a little later version of that fork.

New fork:
    Fleabay has new rigid forks too. For a commuter, why not? To keep the bike functionally similar with a new fork, find the axle to crown specification and try to get close to that. If you go to an 80mm fork, you change the geometry of the bike a little, but not a big deal if it's a commuter.

Rebuild fork:
    You can send it off to this forum's sponsor Risse Racing. They rebuilt an Alps4 rear for me good as new for less than $100. The Marzocchi is mechanically simple, so a rebuild should bring it back to life. You'll spend $100 in seals and special tools to rebuild the fork yourself.

What's the steerer tube dimension? If it's a 1", then I would be interested in buying it for peanuts as-is.

mtbr member
    The enduro fork seal kit for a Z2 ought to work, assuming it's the seal... might also be an o-ring. How's the bushing play? Marzocchi will rebuilt it for ~$75 last I checked.
    I've worked on Z2's a lot, but not a Z3, but they're pretty much the same thing. Get your fork oil from a motorcycle shop, lots of threads on this if you search a bit in this forum. Enduro fork seal site has a pictorial or two that will walk you through disassembly/assembly.

Here's the service manual, easy to do if you're handy at all... just an hour or two of your time & ~$40 in parts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    this may be a good new alternative:

Marzocchi 22LO 120mm Bicycle Fork 7 1/2" Steerer Lock-out & Preload Adjust OE | eBay

you will need the brake bosses, sold at jensonusa, etc. Great for xc riding and cheap
    Note: the steer tube is only 7.5" long if thats too short, then forget it
    I like the price but 120mm of travel is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter View Post
    The enduro fork seal kit for a Z2 ought to work, assuming it's the seal... might also be an o-ring. How's the bushing play? Marzocchi will rebuilt it for ~$75 last I checked.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I guess I figured it was so old they wouldn't work on them any more.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by WXYZ View Post
    I like the price but 120mm of travel is way too much.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I guess I figured it was so old they wouldn't work on them any more.
    you can put a 20mmm spacer on the rod next to the bumper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WXYZ View Post
    Marzocchi has been very good about supporting older forks, as long as they have the parts, they'll get 'em to you or do the work themselves. Contact their tech support by phone, I think they are still based in California, but it's been a couple years since I've called 'em.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]