Badtoad66

Marzocchi XC 600 ATA2 Decreasing travel!!

Anyone help me please!

I have recently purchased some Marzocchi XC 600 ATA2 and after only around 15 rides the travel has started to diminish to around 50mm, I have chaecked all my settings and still the things won't budge past 50mm. It feels like they have too much air in but even with the air released they won't go past 50mm. Anyone got any ideas or is there a thread already available that deals with this issue?

The Toad awaits your replies with great anticipation!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the 600 SL XC and was wondering the same thing, when I compress the fork it will go down all but about 2 inches (sorry dont have a mm length) from the top of the sanctions. I thought I had too much air as well. Some one please help us out. My fork also seems to leak oil at the bottom where you put in air. Is there a tool to tighten the bottom nut?

Badtoad66
    Just had my forks in bits to see if I could see a blockage and it appears to be the damper side that was locked up, I removed the top cap and the travel came back, I don't know exactly what was wrong with it as all I have done is removed the damper unit and the lockout adjuster unit and dropped the oil then replaced them and it is back to normal??? Sounds like I had a hydraulic lock somewhere in there. Weird or what?

ricky_mt
    Sep 2008
    I have the same problem with the xc600 ATA2. I only did 2 races with 4-5 rides and i'm stuck with 2 1/2'' of travel when i use 140mm. I use the right amount of air... So removing the cap seems to be the right thing to do, but what about the warranty?
    Thanks!

Badtoad66
    I contacted the Marzocchi technical department through this forum and the following replies are what i got when I asked my original question.

Reply 1.
    It sounds like the TST2 has too much oil in it. Do you feel comfortable working on your fork? If not it will have to come here to be fixed. It isn't very labor intensive but basic mechanical aptitude is needed.

Then I asked "at amount of oil do I put in the damper to stop it from locking up"

Reply 2.
    I don't have a quantity for the TST2.It's best to do it by filling it and then compressing it fully with the endcap or top cap slightly cracked and fully compressed so that any extra oil creeps out of it. Once you've done that you can extend it and then tighten the cap. That's how we do it here.

Good technical advice eh considering the damper is an engineered part and has a volume inside that can only take a specific amount of oil. I followed this advice and it still did it so I have now taken a little more oil out and will try it again soon. Will keep you posted.

Sometimes has attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by badtoad66
    Anyone help me please!

I have recently purchased some Marzocchi XC 600 ATA2 and after only around 15 rides the travel has started to diminish to around 50mm, I have chaecked all my settings and still the things won't budge past 50mm. It feels like they have too much air in but even with the air released they won't go past 50mm. Anyone got any ideas or is there a thread already available that deals with this issue?

The Toad awaits your replies with great anticipation!

Well I replied then read the whole post, so new answer are needed. It was your TST appearently. Eventually you will want to get a new TST endcap and the problem will be gone for good. It would have to be sent in to fix this but it would be covered under warranty. You can just send the cartridge in if prefered.
    Ride Your Bike!

Sometimes has attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by JSpecialized
    I have the 600 SL XC and was wondering the same thing, when I compress the fork it will go down all but about 2 inches (sorry dont have a mm length) from the top of the sanctions. I thought I had too much air as well. Some one please help us out. My fork also seems to leak oil at the bottom where you put in air. Is there a tool to tighten the bottom nut?
    2" = 50mm

Anyways you fork seems to have a different issue. Yours is most likely the TST. The endcap most likely is allowing oil from the stanchion lubrication and into the cartridge which in turn will limit the travel and keep the fork from getting full travel.
    Ride Your Bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd like to know if this is a "known" problem with this fork and if they should be recalled? Why should the consumer have the burden of shipping these back at our own cost?

I have a 2008 Marzocchi XC 600 ATA2 and am at my wits end. I have the same problem, twice, and now it has about 20mm travel.

I sent it back to Marzocchi for warranty repair at my own cost. These things should be recalled.

I just posted in your tech support thread, hopefully you can help me.

Badtoad66
    I have since had the same problem return and by reducing the amount of oil in the damper it seems to have worked, however, I have not used these forks for a while now as they are on my spare bike but I too would like an answer to your question about recall/waranty claims. I live in the UK and would like to get in contact with someone who can give me advice about where to send them for the problem to be resolved.